• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Don't Spank Your Kids or They'll Turn out Like Rick

• Members

Whenever I see these articles it either makes me laugh, or makes me a little angry. I'm a second-generation Christian who was spanked as a kid, a lot. So many times....

Anyways, I've never smoked, done drugs, or took a drink. I saved sex for after marriage, and in fact the only woman I've ever kissed was my wife. As far as "gray matter" goes, I have Bible College degree and a secular degree, have written two books, and have the brains and diligence to pay my bills (800+ credit score) and keep our home even when times are tough. I'm not the smartest guy around, but I guide our home according to biblical financial principles and I've seen God honor that over and over again.

My wife and I have been married for eight years and have a wonderful relationship. We spank our kids, and get comments all the time about how happy, well behaved, and respectful they are.

There's nothing special about me in of myself. I have a rotten, dirty, selfish old nature that rears it's ugly head every day. If left unchecked, I know my flesh and I know where it would take me. I attribute anything good that I am today to God, His word, and the application of biblical principles by my parents. One of the clearest biblical principles is to spank (not abuse) your children and raise them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

I don't say all of this without knowing there are a ton of second-generation Christians out there that were raised just like me and are doing a good job with their families. I also know that sometimes kids can be raised right and still go off into the world; I've seen that before, and I've seen them come back too. What I haven't seen is a kid that was spanked, and raised biblically, be a complete mess when it comes to functioning as a member of society. Even if they give up on God, they still are decent, upstanding people that have a firm grasp of personal responsibility.

Forget what the "experts" say.

http://health.yahoo....rm-canada-study

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

Reminds me of a professor I had who was very liberal and, of course, very anti-spanking. Funny thing is, he would often use his children in his examples (he taught various sociology courses) and they were all disfunctional and nothing most people would want their children to be like.

Naturally, something that God commands and something Christians have practiced successfuly for 2,000 years, comes under attack by the lost, worldly servants of the devil. What better way to corrupt families, and therefore communities, societies and whole nations, than by convincing parents not to properly parent. Then we get what we see today, generations of children grown up spoiled and undisciplined, many of which are now adults and carrying on in the same way.

I will continue to trust and obey God, the world can keep their worldly "wisdom".

• Members

Always try & do as the One & only true Expert says, & even if things go wrong it will not be because your disobeyed the Father.

Some children will rebel against their fathers & mothers Christian teachings, but we must remember, God gave us humans free will, & the children are using their free will to rebel against God. And that surely does not mean God's way is not the right way.

• Members

I believe anyone of us could rip that article, "

Spanking kids can cause long-term harm: Canada study

" apart and expose it as pure gobbledygook. Secular history alone exposes this as pure bunk.

I've got a better title for his article, Satan's generational success - methods to heathenism.

• Administrators

(The Princess Bride)

Oh, okay...never saw it, so didn't recognize the reference.

Back to the OP - it is a real shame that people cannot see the link between well-behaved children who turn into welll-behaved adults and proper spanking as children, and the link between children/adults with no self-control who were never properly disciplined.

• Members

Last night while I was sitting at the Houston/Bush Airport, there was a mother and a 2-3 y/o girl. Child was wild, running all over and would not scream, but screech when the mother would "try" to control her. Child would get up again, run off, mother would sit and "play" on her phone, texting or whatever, then look up and call and wonder where her child went. Later she was on the phone talking to someone telling them that "she couldn't control the child." Not once did I observe any raising of the voice or "commanding" the child. Didn't even hear her threaten with a "time out." Child was out of control all the way to Cleveland. Mother seemed totally clueless.

• Members

We can't spank our kids, it might hurt their self-esteem (sarcasm added)...

Yes, if you were to injury your children's self-esteem, & it might prevent them from becoming outlaws & such, & might even have a part in helping them understand there is one true God, a Heaven, & a Hell, convincing the to walk in the ways of the Lord..

I have read that the infidels & unbelievers thinks the Christian father & mother is unfit to raise children, 7 their children should be taken from them.

• Members

Last night while I was sitting at the Houston/Bush Airport, there was a mother and a 2-3 y/o girl. Child was wild, running all over and would not scream, but screech when the mother would "try" to control her. Child would get up again, run off, mother would sit and "play" on her phone, texting or whatever, then look up and call and wonder where her child went. Later she was on the phone talking to someone telling them that "she couldn't control the child." Not once did I observe any raising of the voice or "commanding" the child. Didn't even hear her threaten with a "time out." Child was out of control all the way to Cleveland. Mother seemed totally clueless.

Sad, one day her child may come up missing, & she will probably think, I was a good mother & always did what was best for my child.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Our church provides a meeting place for a troop of Girl Scouts, the organization that provides leadership training for young girls. GS Pledge and GS Law: http://gstroop680.org/pledge.htm These girls have a great deal of learning/changing to do in order to live up to the law they pledge to uphold. Spare the rod and spoil the child is highly evident during and after these meetings.

From what I see in society today, you couldn't pay me enough to teach school these days. When I grew up spanking was common. Parents, grandparents, aunts, teachers, etc. had full authority to swat a bottom when a child was out of line. Even a perfect stranger could speak up and correct a child without fear of being arrested. BTW, our parents had a rule -- if you get spanked at school, you'll get another one when you get home. They meant it and we knew it. Thus, our parents never had to carry out that act of punishment. And that was without behavior modification medications!!!!