• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Horse Meat

• Members

I would have to be exceedingly hungry to even consider trying cow tongue! My Dad grew up in a much different time so he has ate those, pig brains and other things I don't even want to think of.

John, I grew up in those times, too. At least in this neck of the woods. We ate what we killed, whether domestic or wild. Wasn't like today, when people only eat the choice cuts of meat (high on the hog) and discard the rest. I still like many of the foods I ate as a child. Sadly, some of them don't like me anymore. Pickled pigs feet, for example. A few cold biscuits and a jar of those could make a meal. Had to quit eating them when the acid in the vinegar wanted to eat holes in my stomach.

Pork brains and eggs used to be a staple for breakfast. The cholestrol level for that is through the roof. But, I do sneak a small can of them from time to time. Fortunately I'm the only one in this house who likes them, so I don't have to share. Oh, another one is liver and Neese's liver pudding. Mom used to slice fresh liver very thin, batter it in flour and fry until tender, like cubed steak. Then, made a gravy with the drippings. Liver was hard to cook because timing had to be just right. Done, but not over cooked, so it was like eating a board. Closest thing to it now-a-days is fried chicken liver. It's impossible to find fresh pork or calves liver.

I've eaten all sorts of wild/exotic game. Both beaver and bear have a great flavor, that's nothing like chicken! If fried there are a number of animals that do have a favor similar to chicken. Rattlesnake is an example, as is alligator. Squirrel, rabbit, groundhog are good meats for stews. Include venison in that. Venison is our "beef" for stews, steaks, and roasts. Like chicken salad? Wild turkey salad beats chicken salad, hands-down, in my opinion. Make it use the same recipe as chicken salad for good eating. BTW, with either chicken or turkey, leave chunks of meat, don't turn it into a paste the way chicken salad is sold in those little tubs.

Swan is a beautiful meat. I was fortunate to know a friend who was able to join a swan hunt. He brought back several from hunters who only went for the hunt and not the meat. After completing tagging of them, they gave theirs to my friend. Quail makes some mighty fine eating, too. Just have to pile them on the plate to make a meal.

Closing story.... many people don't know what they're missing because they have a negative mental picture of eating some foods. A neighbor roasted a goat (same method as a pig picking) for a gathering of young people. He was getting raves about how good the BBQ was, until he told them it wasn't pork. I didn't make that mistake when I served vegetable beef soup made with venison. Just accepted the compliments and kept my mouth shut.

Tip: If you use spicy breader mix when frying up batches of "chicken", few people will be able to tell the difference. However, I don't use it, as I want to taste the difference.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic