• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Baptism of the Holy Spirit!

• Members

Baptism with water: you get wet.

Baptism of the Holy Spirit: you get the Holy Spirit inside of you.

The two have nothing to do with each other.

It might be helpful to point out the Holy Spirit comes to reside inside a person as soon as they are born again in Christ.

In order to be rightly baptised, one must be born again in Christ first, and then the baptism in water is a public testimony of our faith in Christ and a symbol of sharing in the death, burial and ressurection of Christ.

• Members

Not really, its just that some take it to far, the Pentecostals for example, that claim once you've been baptized in the Holy Spirit you will speak in tongues, that tongues is evidence that you've been baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Just this week I listen to the last portion on a Pentecostal preacher, & I can easily see how some people fall for their false teachings, especially if they are not grounded in the Word.

Its quite clear, when a person has been saved, upon being saved, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell within that person.

• Members

Not really, its just that some take it to far, the Pentecostals for example, that claim once you've been baptized in the Holy Spirit you will speak in tongues, that tongues is evidence that you've been baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Just this week I listen to the last portion on a Pentecostal preacher, & I can easily see how some people fall for their false teachings, especially if they are not grounded in the Word.

Its quite clear, when a person has been saved, upon being saved, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell within that person.

And didn't the tongue "gift" end in Acts?

• Moderators

Beccamarx, I think you're right. There is more to the Holy Spirit than many of our churches teach. It's not that the Charismatics are correct in their abuse of the spiritual gifts - but perhaps because of that abuse we IFBers have perhaps become too leery of addressing His work in the lives of Christians. He is, after all, the helper Christ sent us in His physical absence, and He is the one that teaches us what we need to learn from God's Word (John 14:16-26). He is also active in the work of our sanctification (2 Thess. 2:13).
I've been learning a lot about the work of the Holy Spirit and my need to depend on Him through some sermons by Richard Flanders and the Van Gelderens. You should check out these links: http://www.ptwm.org/resources.html http://drrickflanders.com/

Edited to add: If you get a chance, look for the book by Rosalind Goforth "How I know God answers prayer." It is a very powerful biography!

Edited by salyan

• Members

A little bit about myself...... I have been born and raised in a IFB Church, However when personally studying out the book of Acts there is More to The HOLY SPIRIT then what the church seems to preach.

I believe you receive all of Him when you receive Christ. I don't believe I use 1/10th of Him in my life. If I did I would spend less time on line and more time witnessing to lost folks. Acts 1:8

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The distinction between the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and Baptism in water. What are the beliefs on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and baptism in water?

A little bit about myself...... I have been born and raised in a IFB Church, However when personally studying out the book of Acts there is More to The HOLY SPIRIT then what the church seems to preach.

No the gift of tongues DOES NOT end in the book of Acts.

Where do you stand on Visions?

Don't have and shouldn't have beliefs on this subject; we have the Word of God to tell us what each is.

These are buzzwords of Pentecostals. Since we're Independent Baptists, we have no "the church". A biblical church is an independent, local and visable assembly of born-again and baptized believers carrying out the Lord's commandments.

A purpose of the Holy Spirit is to continually point a born-again Christian towards Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Does Jesus not say to Nicodemus that unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God? John 3:5 My understanding of this would say that baptism through the water will help wash away your sins after you have agreed to repent and then the baptism of the spirit will take away the flesh and enter you into spirit.

John 3:6 also says that which is flesh, is flesh and that which is spirit, is spirit. Once we are baptised properly I believe that we no longer walk in the flesh, instead we walk in the Spirit of Jesus Christ.

• Members

Ac 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

And we are told to be baptized because of remission of sin, not for remission of sin.

Mr 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

And that he who belief not shall be damned, not him that is not baptized.

Joh 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

And of course he that believeth hath everlasting life, he that does not believe shall be damned.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Plus, we are saved by grace though faith, not of works, not of your self, not by something someone else can for us, its a gift. So its true, if you go down in the the water lost, you will come up lost, water done not save, Jesus saves.

Of course being baptized is the 1st step in obedience after one has been saved, & one cannot truly follow Jesus until they make that 1st step in obedience.

• Members

Does Jesus not say to Nicodemus that unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God? John 3:5 My understanding of this would say that baptism through the water will help wash away your sins after you have agreed to repent and then the baptism of the spirit will take away the flesh and enter you into spirit.

John 3:6 also says that which is flesh, is flesh and that which is spirit, is spirit. Once we are baptised properly I believe that we no longer walk in the flesh, instead we walk in the Spirit of Jesus Christ.

Baptism of water does not "wash away" sin in any manner. Repentance toward God and faith in Christ allows Christs blood to do that. What physical baptism is is a symbol of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ and identification with him.

Specifically though in john 3:5 the "born of water" is referring to a persons initial physical birth, not baptism. See Romans 14:17 for a definition of what the "kingdom of God" is as well. The "kingdom of God" is the blessed state a Christian lives in after salvation as long as they remain in obedience to Christ.

• Members

The "born of water" of John 3:5 would be our physical birth. You've heard when a pregnant woman says, "my water just broke"?