• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"skipped over" passages...

Guest Guest

"Psalm 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High."

"John 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?"

I would like to hear some sermons on this, I believe I have a fair understanding of these passages, but I don't think I have ever heard a sermon on them. They are one of those spots that tends to be quickly read and then skipped over. That is a shame because I think a really good sermon could be made out of them...

Anyway, what rarely mentioned passages would you like to hear a good sermon on? :Green

• Members
"Psalm 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High."

"John 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?"

I would like to hear some sermons on this, I believe I have a fair understanding of these passages, but I don't think I have ever heard a sermon on them. They are one of those spots that tends to be quickly read and then skipped over. That is a shame because I think a really good sermon could be made out of them...

Anyway, what rarely mentioned passages would you like to hear a good sermon on? :Green

My 13 yr. old son is reading over my shoulder and now would like to know what these passages mean.......(thanks. :frog ) Want to give me a sermon, now? :lol:

"Psalm 82:1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods."

"Psalm 82:6-7 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes."

"Psalm 138:1 I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee."

"John 10:34-35 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?"

Well in short, believers in those passages are clearly referred to as "gods". That cannot be denied. The only question is exactly what is meant by that. :Green

I believe it is a reference to what we get and who we positionally are when we are saved: our high position in Christ and in his coming kingdom. Scripture teaches that we will judge angels in the world to come etc. We are joint-heirs with Christ, and positionally, that is very high... high enough for the Lord God to call us little g "gods" apparently.

"Romans 8:16-17 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together."

Now, while biblically the Christian is indeed a little g god, obviously that isn't something most Christians have any intention of saying, because it is easily misunderstood. It is only a description of who we are and the position we have through Christ.

The mormons use verses like these at times to prove that believers are little g "gods"(which is true), and then through a round about way they try to say that Jesus was just a little g "god" as all saved believers are, and that he was no different from us. That is of course not true.

They have to ignore verses like this, of which there are a great many:

"1 Corinthians 8:5-6 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."

Sounds like something the Word of Faith Cult Leaders would preach about IMHO. :thumbdown

Truth be told, that is more than likely why the passages are usually ignored. :tum Most IFB pastors don't seem to want to touch it with a ten foot foot pole and in a sense I can't say I blame them for that, but on the other hand... The whole of scripture should be preached...

BTW if you have a different view of the passage I am all :ears:

I got divorced over a difference of religion - my ex-husband thought he was god' date=' and I didn't! :thumbdown[/quote']

I understand your bias then, the mormons(I assume that is what you mean) certainly have an improper view of what those passages mean, however, unless you have a different explanation of those passages than what I gave, with scripture to back it up, giving me a thumbs down doesn't help much...

• Members

I was giving the whole notion that humans ought to consider themselves god a thumbs down - not you personally. Don't you know that those were among the very first words spoken by Satan?

Genesis 3
4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

BTW -xh is not a mormon - just someone caught up in WoF apostacy.

Don't you know that those were among the very first words spoken by Satan?

Genesis 3
4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Yes, I sure do, Satan told Eve the "classic" half truth. They did die, but not physically(at least not right then). Yet, later, the Lord said:

"Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:"

However, it wasn't due to the act of sin that the Lord called us "gods" little g. It was due to his redemption that he called us that. Knowing good and evil didn't do it.

• Members

If we go around thinking of ourselves as gods, won't that cause many of us to commit the sin of pride?

Jeremiah 13
9 Thus saith the LORD, After this manner will I mar the pride of Judah, and the great pride of Jerusalem.
10 This evil people, which refuse to hear my words, which walk in the imagination of their heart, and walk after other gods, to serve them, and to worship them, shall even be as this girdle, which is good for nothing.

Psalm 10:4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.

Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Proverbs 29:23 A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.

(and for all you NT preachers who do not belive in the OT...)

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Doesn't our culture already have it's share of American Idols and Superstars who are treated as gods?

If we go around thinking of ourselves as gods, won't that cause many of us to commit the sin of pride?

There again, it all goes back to what is meant by a "god" and why the Lord said that. I think we all agree that the saved are the children of God, and that because of Christ, God does not impute our sin to us but rather imputes the righteousness of Christ to us. Does that give us anything to be proud about? No, because it isn't anything we earned, Christ earned it, and gave it to us. That is the principle on this issue. The Lord choosing to call us "gods" isn't something we earned, it is part of being in Christ, it is who God says we are because of Christ.