• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

HOW SHALLOW CHRISTIANITY HAS BECOME

• Members

TIM TEBOW EXPOSES HOW SHALLOW CHRISTIANITY HAS BECOME

January 26, 2012 NewsWithViews.com

By Coach Dave Daubenmire

“America! America! God Shed His Grace on Thee; And Crown Thy Good, With Brotherhood…” -

America The Beautiful

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! -

KJV'>Isaiah 5:20

In case you have not noticed, sleeve-wearing Christian Tim Tebow has been causing quite a stir across the football world with his unashamed living out of the Gospel. His I-love-Jesus-more-than-anything approach to life has proved to be quite unsettling to those who are uncomfortable with his bold proclamation of Romans 1:16.

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”

In my lifetime I cannot name a single public figure, apart from those who make a living off of the Gospel, who has been as bold of a witness as Number 15 for the Denver Broncos.

He is not the only Christian in the NFL. The past two Super Bowl Champions had Christians under center, Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints, Aaron Rodgers of the Packers, yet one would have to dig to find stories of their witness to their Faith.

Former Super Bowl QB Kurt Warner of the St. Louis Rams claims Christ, yet he recently advised Tebow that he would be better off if he removed Jesus from his sleeve…or at least put a sweatshirt over the top of his arms.

“But I’d tell him, ‘Put down the boldness in regards to the words, and keep living the way you’re living. Let your teammates do the talking for you. Let them cheer on your testimony.’

Kurt Warner

Yeah right Kurt. Hide that light under a bushel. That I’ll-show-them-Christ-by-the-way-I-live approach hasn’t gotten us very far in spreading the Gospel. America is a vast moral wasteland because we have hidden the light.

In this country we no longer “crown the good.” Because of our silence our culture has evolved to the point where we “crown the bad.” Tim Tebow is bad. Lady Gaga is good. Tim Tebow won’t be at the Super Bowl,

but Madonna will

In the NFL the Material Girl trumps the Spiritual Guy. (I wonder if Kurt Warner would ask Madonna to tone it down a bit.) It seems to me that the wrong folks are ashamed.

. Bold Christianity would make Madonna run to the locker room.

“The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.”

KJV'>Proverbs 28:1

Tim Tebow is a mirror. He exposes how shallow most of our Christianity is. That’s what makes us so uncomfortable…"I am a Christian, but I am not as fanatical about it as Tebow is."

No kidding. I wonder which one is more like Jesus…you or Tim Tebow? Would Jesus tell Tim to “tone it down?” Would Jesus tell you to?

No. He doesn’t have to. You already have toned it down yourself. That’s why Christianity is so under assault in the culture. We are ashamed of the Gospel. We are ashamed to speak up for what is right.

We have allowed them to put a crown on the head of the evil. We have failed to understand that nature loves a vacuum. The removal of the Christian standard of morality from our culture has opened the floodgates to secular debauchery.

Silence isn’t golden…it is yellow. Our Christian-laryngitis has resulted in no prayer in schools, no Ten Commandments, sodomite-“marriage,” legalized baby-murder, Christ-less Christmas…

I wonder if any of the heathen have asked Lady Gaga to tone it down? Have they impugned her for her vicious assault on the morality of America’s children?

It is one thing when the God-haters want Tim to tone it done. It is quite another when those on his own team are knocking the ball out of his hands.

Even in the church we no longer “crown the good.” Humanism has forced its way into the void, and the Gospel has been relegated to a self-help, best-life-now, felt-needs formula for success in life.

Advertisement

180x110-iosoliodine_nwv.gif

Tim Tebow crushes that paradigm like a snot-snorting, blitzing line-backer.

Jesus IS life. Tim Tebow has his arms around something bigger than the NFL!

Tebow carries a different message. The answer to America’s problems is not government. The problems in America are Spiritual. Turn to Jesus and not to politics.

In this age of self-centered

narcissism

We must return to an America where good is crowned.

But that is not the message of the world. They want an America where everyone is on the same level. Homosexual marriage is as valid as heterosexual marriage; Humans are on the same level as the baby seals; Abortion is on the same level as appendicitis; Dr Phil is as wise as the Apostle Paul; Christianity is on par with Islam, Buddhism, and Taoism; Sinners are no different than saints; Jesus and Mohammed share the same throne.

No standards…no judge…no right and wrong…no good and evil. America is ravaged with the gospel according to Rodney King, “Why can’t we all just get along?”

No wonder we crown the bad.

But there is hope. Tim Tebow has revealed something about us. For those who have eyes to see, God has used him to reveal a hunger for righteousness in the hearts of Americans.

In spite of the fact that his bold-Christianity has been pillaged by those on the right as well as those on the left, Tim Tebow has touched a nerve in the soul of America, and no matter how hard they may try, the secularists cannot not gauze over the blood seeping out of a heart that is yearning for something to believe in.

That’s Tim’s message, you know. Believe, not in yourself or your abilities, but in the ONE who makes all things possible.

Tim Tebow has torn off the scab and exposed the spiritual-malignancy sweeping over this land.

The media is telling him to tone it down…other Christians are telling him to tone it down…but Mom and Pop America is telling him to turn up the volume.

non-Super Bowl football game in history?

Did you know that the Bronco’s playoff game against the Patriots was

the most watched

in sports-obsessed America?

Did you know that Tim Tebow was recently voted

the most popular athlete

How can that be?

Because in their hearts, most American parents wish their son had turned out like Tim Tebow, and they long for their daughter to marry a man like him. They have had enough of the Lindsay Lohans, the Charlie Sheens, and the decadence of America’s pop culture icons.

The dirty little secret is that fly-over country wants a return to a crowning of the good.

shop-btn-anim.gif

. The culture crowns the playboys, while America is crying for choir boys.

Look at this picture of

Tebow and his mom

on the internet?

Did you know that after the game with the Steelers that John 3:16 was the most

“googled” phrase

Subscribe to the NewsWithViews Daily News Alerts!

Enter Your E-Mail Address:

“How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?” -

KJV'>Romans 14

Let the world see that you don’t have to be in Detroit to root for a Lion!

Living the Gospel is not enough. I say roar Tim Tebow, ROAR! Proclaim the Truth of the

KJV'>Lion of the Tribe of Judah!

God has put a crown on Tim Tebow. He is not ashamed to wear it.

• Members

The think I like about Tim Tebow is that he's been a consistent Christian throughout his life. What he's been doing since playing for the Denver Bronco's is what he's been doing his whole life. He didn't start "acting Christian" for publicity or something.

Throughout high school and college and now in the NFL, this young man has consistently spoke out openly of his faith in Christ, has donated his time and money to Christian service.

No doubt most professing Christians in America don't like seeing this because it does reveal how shallow their Christianity is. This is why the lost don't like it either, because when they see a Christian living his faith boldly they are opened to the conviction of the Holy Ghost and that makes them uncomfortable.

Yes, this young man needs our prayers. He's being pressured from all sides, including by professing Christians, to hide his faith in Christ. Sad to say, but many would love to see this young man fall, to get hurt, to get caught in some serious sin.

May we all give our all to Christ and be bold in living out our faith wherever we are.

• Members

I do not believe that this country really wants to return to the crowing of the good. What this country really wants is the one true God, the Father of the Savior, taken out of this country.

As for Tebow, I want stand for him nor against him.

Being that I don't care to watch football, or any other kind of ballgames for that matter, I only recently learned that there even was a "Tim Tebow" when my pastor mentioned his name from the pulpit. The Bible clearly teaches that this World hates God so this 'country' is not God's people and never was. Would you rather he hid his candle under a bushel? I say "go for God Tim Tebow!" Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Being that I don't care to watch football, or any other kind of ballgames for that matter, I only recently learned that there even was a "Tim Tebow" when my pastor mentioned his name from the pulpit. The Bible clearly teaches that this World hates God so this 'country' is not God's people and never was. Would you rather he hid his candle under a bushel? I say "go for God Tim Tebow!"

I've already answered that question.

Pro-football is not a fan of God, nor the churches that meets for services each Sunday, they're the competitor. Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

Shows how much I know about football. Is this man a 'pro' or college player?
I don't even know what days of the week they play., don't care one thing about football and never have. Point is, does the man love God and is he letting his light shine? There are reat numbers of people who must work on Sundays because that's the only job they can get for the time being. Maybe he attends on Wednesday nights? Is there even a verse which says to worship on Wednesdays? Point is, does he miss a few Sundays or totally 'forsake the assembling". ?

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

I don't even know what days of the week they play., don't care one thing about football and never have. Point is, does the man love God and is he letting his light shine? There are reat numbers of people who must work on Sundays because that's the only job they can get for the time being. Maybe he attends on Wednesday nights? Is there even a verse which says to worship on Wednesdays? Point is, does he miss a few Sundays or totally 'forsake the assembling". ?

Tebow is the quarterback for the Denver Broncos (pro NFL team). I don't watch much sports either but this was all over the news.

Tebow is active in his church, always has been, and he also donates a great deal of money and time to various church outreach programs.

Were it not for his openness about his faith and walk with Christ, and the media's hostile reaction to that making it a news story, I would know nothing about him.

• Members

You've read many of my post here on onlinebaptist, have I ever stated within any of my post that I was perfect?

I hate to see the thoughts that comes though your mind when your setting in the pew listening to your pastor. There must be many times you think this about him while he preaches against sin, "Do you think your perfect?" And I only say this because of what you asked me.

But once more I will make a statement, I stand not against him, & I do not stand from him.

Plus, pro-football is not a friend of God. Pro-football is very worldly & made up of worldly people.

I recall one great pro-baseball player, he gave us baseball, gave it up for God. I suppose he thought God was more important to the pay check, & fame, of playing pro-baseball.

I wonder about many of those he influences, they call their self T-bowing, when they walk down the crowded school hallways filled with students trying to get from one class room to the next one without being late, squatting down in the pose they call Tbowing. Seems to me all they are doing is imitating a football player while causing trouble in a crowed hallway filled with student trying to get to their next class on time. That just does not seem to be Christ like to me, it seems more like they are mocking God more than anything else..

• Members
You've read many of my post here on onlinebaptist, have I ever stated within any of my post that I was perfect? I hate to see the thoughts that comes though your mind when your setting in the pew listening to your pastor. There must be many times you think this about him while he preaches against sin, "Do you think your perfect?" And I only say this because of what you asked me. But once more I will make a statement, I stand not against him, & I do not stand from him. Plus, pro-football is not a friend of God. Pro-football is very worldly & made up of worldly people. I recall one great pro-baseball player, he gave us baseball, gave it up for God. I suppose he thought God was more important to the pay check, & fame, of playing pro-baseball. I wonder about many of those he influences, they call their self T-bowing, when they walk down the crowded school hallways filled with students trying to get from one class room to the next one without being late, squatting down in the pose they call Tbowing. Seems to me all they are doing is imitating a football player while causing trouble in a crowed hallway filled with student trying to get to their next class on time. That just does not seem to be Christ like to me, it seems more like they are mocking God more than anything else..

I edited that out before you posted, but you must have already had it open and typing. I appologize for not toning it down sooner. Truly, no man is perfect as that well attests. But since you seem to have the mentality that the sole reason anyone in your pews would disagree with something you say is because THEY are wrong and in sin......... I distinctly remember many times in the pew when one of my sins was pointed out and feeling ashamed and convicted of it. ...and I didn't get mad at the preacher becasue I was clearly at fault. What I don't agree with is the controllers who constantly beat on their people, and criticize them, keeping them in fear of his disapproval if they ever dare disagree. Sheep won't keep following a shepherd who ill treats them. If you sir, say thingsfrom time to time to your people that just should not have been said, then tell them they got upset about that was becasue of THEIR sin. You, sir, are manipulating them. You too sometimes say things on this board that maybe you too should have thought twice about.

• 9 years later...
  • Members
On 1/26/2012 at 6:58 AM, John81 said:

That I’ll-show-them-Christ-by-the-way-I-live approach hasn’t gotten us very far in spreading the Gospel. America is a vast moral wasteland because we have hidden the light.

Remember the Anabaptists ? https://earlychurch.com/the-anabaptists/

In the NFL the Material Girl trumps the Spiritual Guy. (I wonder if Kurt Warner would ask Madonna to tone it down a bit.) It seems to me that the wrong folks are ashamed.

Somewhere it is written, I think, that God Says His People Forgot How to Blush.  (the result of sinning so much daily ?  Losing the innocence or consciousness of what is shameful and sinful?)

“The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.”

KJV'>Proverbs 28:1

But wait - In the Bible,  In Athens,  wasn't the Apostle Paul quite well known and seen proclaiming and teaching and living the Gospel, the Good News,  the Resurrected Life (totally changed life),

yet the wicked, the town full of those worshiping other several different idols,

did not flee.    Rather,  didn't Paul and the other believers in the One True Creator

give up on the town and leave after the proper time ?    As Jesus and the Father Directed:  "when they persecute you in one town,  flee to the next"   -  the disciples, even the Apostles,  would "flee" as directed,  by God's Instructions.    Not in fear,  but in obedience,  doing as God Said.     Most cities, most governing authorities,  most religious people,  never became Christian Followers of Jesus.  

If there are only ten faithful disciples following Jesus in New York City,  or Los Angeles,  or London,

living as God Says, following Jesus in everything they do, every day,  going wherever Jesus goes (Jesus is the Shepherd),  living as Jesus Says,  having lives totally changed when born again by the Will of the Father in heaven,  "holy" lives (set apart by the Father), 

is their "Christianity" shallow then ?      They're not in the news.   They're not popular.  They're usually not rich/well-to-do/ in terms of money or this world's wealth.    But not one among them is hungry unless they all are hungry - not one of them has a need not met unless all of them are without.  They lay down their lives for one another constantly, daily, living Jesus' Life/Way humbly and simply and boldly, as lights in this world of darkness,  as true followers of Jesus in this world of hypocrisy and deception,  disciples living with pure hearts, being purified daily,  repenting and praying  and walking in the light as the heavenly Father Guides and Leads them and Directs their steps.