• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is It Wrong to Vote for the Lesser of Two Evils?

• Members

It's not about finding someone "perfect", as we know they don't exist. The questions we should be asking is whether or not any of those seeking our vote are men of charactor, integrity, honour. Can they be trusted or are they liars.

If there is a man of charactor we could vote for, that one would be considered "evil". If we have a dozen men running for a particular office and none of them are men of charactor, then they could all be viewed as "evil" so if we vote for any one of them we would be voting for an evil person.

One thing many forget is that we are not forced to vote for anyone. If there is not a person of charactor to vote for in a particular category, we don't have to vote in that category.

But John, as I have tried to point out, even Abraham, David, and Solomon would fall short of us saying they were men of charactor. Every one of the three would fall when the question of one woman man came up!!!!!

• Members

I would like to add that I have not seen anyone here saying that politicians are THE answer to Americas problems. I think we would all agree the only true answer is God. But there is no sin in trying to guide our country toward freedom through voting so that we can continue to preach openly. Yes I know that many revivals have came through persecution, but I would rather pray that we would open our eyes enough that the churches would start preaching strong and loud through freedom, than to see my children taken from me and murdered because I was caught teaching them about Christ.

Scripture does tell us to pray for our leaders that we may be able to live for Christ, and thereby also spread the Gospel and make disciples. Prayer for peace and the freedom to live for Christ is always valid and valuable.

While they may not be on this board, there are many professing Christians in America who have become so caught up in politics that they look for what amounts to a "Republican saviour" rather than looking to God and being about the Lord's business to effect real change in America.

The problem America faces is what George Washington warned against. We have two political parties that control the election process and they promote their own agendas over what is actually best for America and over what is constitutional.

Romney, Gingrich and Obama are all big government politicians. Any of them as president will continue America in that direction. None of them care a wit for restoring the government to its proper constitutional bounds and none of them will keep the oath of office to abide by the Constitution. None of these men are Godly men so we certainly can't expect much in that area either.

Biblical history shows time and again how God turns over a wicked people to their own wickedness as punishment. Part of that involves a wicked people being governed by wicked leaders.

How can we (Christians) counter such? The same as we see in Scripture and examples from history. We pursue personal holiness, letting the light of Christ shine through us for all to see, we spread the Gospel, making disciples, we spend earnest time in fasting and prayer for revival, in prayer for our pastors, evangelists, each of us, the political leaders (national, state, county and city). We do all this continually, not as part of a "Sunday revival" or "revival week" gathering, but continually, earnestly, fervently. We endeavor to bring more and more of our brothers and sisters in Christ into this. We edify and encourage one another in the Lord.

If God's people get serious about such we will see the Holy Ghost do mighty things in our land!

• Members

But John, as I have tried to point out, even Abraham, David, and Solomon would fall short of us saying they were men of charactor. Every one of the three would fall when the question of one woman man came up!!!!!

The analogies here can only be taken so far. All three of these men lived in a vastly different time from ours in a culture very different and in a very different political climate.

Abraham, as far as we can tell from Scripture, would not have took the handmaid to bed if his wife hadn't convinced him that was the only way to fulfill the Lord's promise. Now, that doesn't make what he did right, but in his culture that was common practice. In America such isn't common practice and therefore Sarah likely wouldn't have made such a suggestion and Abraham wouldn't either.

We could go into similar with regards to David and Solomon.

We, as Christians, in a nation that was once governed and dominated mostly by Christian principles, live in a different culture. Even among the lost, most know it's not right to cheat on your spouse, it's horrible to cheat on a spouse who is gravely ill and divorcing such a spouse is disgusting.

We know that if a wife can't trust her own husband, then he has some serious charactor flaws.

We also know if a man continually says one thing but does another that he's a liar and cannot be trusted.

There is a vast difference between a man who lives a life of moral corruption and the man who stumbles on occasion, or maybe even has a fall in his life, yet repents and strives to walk in integrity.

• Members

We are all sinners; so are politicians. But some candidates are much worse than others. I personally believe that wicked Bill Clinton probably wouldn't have gotten elected if all those folks hadn't voted for Ross Perot. So we got a little taste of what a police state will be like, Ruby Ridge, Waco Texas, Elian Gonzales, Janet Reno, Hillary, scandal, impeachment etc. etc.............

Do what you want, but I'm not voting for one who doesn't have a chance if I can do my part to help keep a more wicked man out. Might as well vote for my good Uncle Fred as to do that.

• Members

The analogies here can only be taken so far. All three of these men lived in a vastly different time from ours in a culture very different and in a very different political climate.

Abraham, as far as we can tell from Scripture, would not have took the handmaid to bed if his wife hadn't convinced him that was the only way to fulfill the Lord's promise. Now, that doesn't make what he did right, but in his culture that was common practice. In America such isn't common practice and therefore Sarah likely wouldn't have made such a suggestion and Abraham wouldn't either.

We could go into similar with regards to David and Solomon.

We, as Christians, in a nation that was once governed and dominated mostly by Christian principles, live in a different culture. Even among the lost, most know it's not right to cheat on your spouse, it's horrible to cheat on a spouse who is gravely ill and divorcing such a spouse is disgusting.

We know that if a wife can't trust her own husband, then he has some serious charactor flaws.

We also know if a man continually says one thing but does another that he's a liar and cannot be trusted.

There is a vast difference between a man who lives a life of moral corruption and the man who stumbles on occasion, or maybe even has a fall in his life, yet repents and strives to walk in integrity.

Cultural?? Okay, lets look at David. Israel was simular to America in that they had little laws that the King could make, yet a supreme law that he could not. America also has a supreme law (the constitution), but ours can be altered if the votes are there. Israels supreme law could not be altered, as it was (and is) the very law of God. Every culture obeys their laws, or else they would not be the laws. Now let's look at David and Bathsheba. David looks out and lusts after her. He then enquires and finds out she is another mans wife.
Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

He then sends for her and takes her as if his wife.
Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

He then has Uriah killed.
Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

Now I admit a king can send men to their death in battle without violating the commandment, but when a king singles out a man to send so he can take what is his, that is a differant story.
Now you can say it was culturaly correct for him to have done these things even though they broke the supreme law, yet it is culturaly acceptable for the govt to stomp on the constitution as the have done for many years. Yet that is one of the things used to say one is evil is he will not bring us back to the constitution.

• Members

We are all sinners; so are politicians. But some candidates are much worse than others. I personally believe that wicked Bill Clinton probably wouldn't have gotten elected if all those folks hadn't voted for Ross Perot. So we got a little taste of what a police state will be like, Ruby Ridge, Waco Texas, Elian Gonzales, Janet Reno, Hillary, scandal, impeachment etc. etc.............

Do what you want, but I'm not voting for one who doesn't have a chance if I can do my part to help keep a more wicked man out. Might as well vote for my good Uncle Fred as to do that.

Or if morre had voted for Ross Perot nd he had been elected, you would not have had clinton.

• Members

How do we know who doesn't have a chance? They said Reagan didn't have a chance! Until it got closer to election time they said Clinton didn't have a chance.

If people didn't spend so much time trying to be psychics and predicting who can or can't win, and instead actually supported the best candidate from start to finish, then we might have some worthy leaders. As it is, it really doesn't make that much difference if a Dem is elected to drive America 100 miles per hour over the cliff or if a Repub is elected to drive America 98 miles per hour over the cliff.

• Members

Or if morre had voted for Ross Perot nd he had been elected, you would not have had clinton.

True, and if the Republicans had dumped wishy-washy Bush the First and nominated Buchanan there is a good chance we wouldn't have had Clinton either.

Christians won't demand solid candidates so very few are put forth. The politcal parties know they can put forth party players who will continue to steer America the wrong direction and they will get the votes. So, regardless whether the president is a Dem or Repub we keep getting one big government president after another. Then the next election cycle comes around and the vast majority of voters fall for it all over again.

• Members

How do we know who doesn't have a chance? They said Reagan didn't have a chance! Until it got closer to election time they said Clinton didn't have a chance.

If people didn't spend so much time trying to be psychics and predicting who can or can't win, and instead actually supported the best candidate from start to finish, then we might have some worthy leaders. As it is, it really doesn't make that much difference if a Dem is elected to drive America 100 miles per hour over the cliff or if a Repub is elected to drive America 98 miles per hour over the cliff.

Amen, amen, amen.

• Members

I don't really know these people and I doubt any of you do either. If they have been a legislator, as most of them have, I look at their voting record. And the voting record, if nothing else, shows that most Democrats are pro abortion for starters. (Obama is too BTW). I will not vote for anyone who is pro-bortion or "pro-choice" as these deceievers like to call it. I will not vote for anyone who wants to take away our guns either. Look at what the Democrats stand for, then look at what the Communist party stands for.....No, Republicans aren't angels, but then your average IFB preacher isn't completely flawless either. ....I would vote for my Godly PawPaw who would make a great Pres. But he don't have a chance. Use some common sense people.

• Members

Amen, amen, amen.

Guys, let's be consistent. If X candidate is to be the POTUS, then our sovereign God will cause him to win in the primary. No "psychics" (as you call them) can thwart God's will, right? In the meantime, "electability" will continue to figure into my vote for the Republican candidate. (See my previous comments for the proper context of that remark.)

And I do agree with the cliff part, John. None of the Republican candidates--no politicians or Presidents--have the power to turn our country around. We are headed over the cliff no matter what, apart from all of that...because the problems with America are spiritual, not political. None of the candidates have the power to turn our country around politically, either, IMO. The state of Washington is such that any positive changes would be slow in coming and easily overturned by future leadership. Yep, we're headed over the cliff no matter what. Good thing my home's not on this earth! Edited by Annie

• Members

I don't really know these people and I doubt any of you do either. If they have been a legislator, as most of them have, I look at their voting record. And the voting record, if nothing else, shows that most Democrats are pro abortion for starters. (Obama is too BTW). I will not vote for anyone who is pro-bortion or "pro-choice" as these deceievers like to call it. I will not vote for anyone who wants to take away our guns either. Look at what the Democrats stand for, then look at what the Communist party stands for.....No, Republicans aren't angels, but then your average IFB preacher isn't completely flawless either. ....I would vote for my Godly PawPaw who would make a great Pres. But he don't have a chance. Use some common sense people.

Since Roe v Wade legalized the murder of babies America has had several Republican presidents, some Republican controlled congress' and even a Republican president with a Republican controlled congress. In those four decades has abortion been ended?

You may want to take a closer look at the Republicans and Republican appointed judges who have helped make and keep abortion legal and who have been a part of the stripping of the 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

• Members

I didn't say ALL Republicans were good guys; I said that I check men's voting record. For example; we had a "Republican" governeor down here in Florida by the name of Charley Crist. I checked his track record and he certainly didn't get my vote. Some of the things he did AIDED abortion. As to Roe vs Wade: when we had the Republican president and congess you mentioned, who controlled the Supreme Court?

• Members

Look at the Republican Supreme Court Justices who have supported abortion and other liberal things.

Some seem to forget that the Courts are not to make law and the congress has balance check power over the Supreme Court. Congress could have passed a law at any time since Roe v Wade which outlawed abortion and stripped the courts of review power over that law. That's one of the powers of congress.