• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Think my laptop is dying

IFBSenior

• Members

I restored as new. I tried doing it again but it won't stay on long enough to run the disk

I'm no geek, but sounds like you've got an internal problem with your computer. Unless you can fix it your self, & or have a friend that can do it cheaply, a new one may be the best move.

• Members

Do you know how to access the BIOS and set the computer to boot from either floppy drive or CDROM. If so, set the computer to boot from one of these whichever supports your OEM disks. Then, create a formatting disk on someone elses PC and reformat the harddrive of your laptop. After you reformat the harddrive do another install of your OEM disks. You will still have to reinstall any apps which you use.

Just a thought.

• Members

well it is over ten years old so it's probably time, it's a shame, it was a nice computer

I understand that, late last year I bought a new one.

My old one kept blowing power supplies, after the third one I finally gave up buying this one, Windows 7 Professional,. I did put another power supply in my old one & have it for back up. Its really.

I'm slowly getting use to Windows 7, yet I still like the old Windows XP best.

• Members

I have two PCs running XP (One at Church) which both gave signs of age, not booting up and making strange noises. They both had Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 on them I had tried putting the 2012 version of one and it crashed and gave error messages and I was unable to boot it up. Eventually I managed to get it to run and took off 2011 and installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2012, since then it has behaved perfectly. I deleted Kaspersky from the one at church and that has also run OK since. I run Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 on one PC and two laptops, one belonging to church, without any trouble.