• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biggest Loser Contest at Work

• Members

What is wrong with having an entry fee that will be collectively used as the prize for entering a contest? This is common in various sporting events and isn't even close to being gambling.

Gambling relies upon "chance" or "luck". Even Paul used the analogy of those who run for the prize. There is no difference between running for a prize, shooting baskets for a prize, or seeing who is able to lose the most weight by a certain deadline.

We Christians are told by the Lord there are reward incentives to consider in our living for Christ. That doesn't make our being about the Lord's business gambling. As many preachers declare, fight the good fight, run the race, win the prize.

• Members

That is great, sad to say many will, & they will accept blood money eagerly, they seem not to care how it was gained

Of course many churches are all about money. I've only been a member of one church that leaned in that direction. I can understand many that attend churches that gets totally tuned off because its more about money that Christ. Many times it almost as if they beg for your money.

If the pastor will put out the right message, getting the members hearts in the right place, they can pass the collection plate around and never have to beg for money.

I heard of one church, a Baptist Church, and even an Independent Baptist Church, that the pastor sent the collection plate around, when it got back he did not think it was enough, gave a big talk, sent it around a 2nd time, and again he did not think it was enough, gave another big talk, sending it around the 3rd time.

We don't pass a collecting plate or bag around. We have two (smallish) boxes on the wall by each door, as we don't believe that we should ask visitors for money. We believe that the members of the church should pay the expenses of the church. We only charge a nominal amount for our seniors weekly lunch, and that we subsidise. Special meals, fellowhip lunches, family day barbecues, mothers and toddlers are all free. Mostly these are provided by members, but the church pays when they ask. We also do not charge for funerals and if it is connected with a church member we supply food as required. We do not charge for weddings, although the latter we would only perform if one of the parties was a member.

• Members

Yes, the prize, I need not worldly prizes, nor recognition, if I receive any, I will wait & let the Lord bring them, but even them I will know to give all glory to the only One that deserves glory.

Let the worldly people, lost people, win all of those worldly prizes, for after all that's the only prizes they will ever receive, for after they leave this world it will be eternal punishment for them.

As for us, & our life, it ought to be all about Jesus, that is to die to self letting Christ live though us. That would mean we would not be like those of the world, you know, a peculiar people.

• Administrators

There isn't anything unbiblical about earning money...just because someone enters a contest where there is a cash prize doesn't mean they aren't putting Jesus first. "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" can also be applied to a weight loss contest.

• Members

Yes, its nice to straddle the fence, hoping for the best from the world while hoping for the best from God at the same time, while entering a worldly contest with worldly people. While not having enough faith in Jesus to give you the strength to accomplish your goal, so you have to have worldly incentive of winning the pot of money.

Mt 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Lu 12:28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?

• Members

Does this mean all prizes should be avoided by all Christians? Why would God offer us rewards as incentive if there were no worth in prizes?

One can run a race or seek to lose weight knowing they may win a prize while at the same time doing so to God's glory.

Till Herod, the prize for a race was a laurel crown and the glory of winning. Only the winner received that. Herod instituted Caesar's games in which the first three received rich prizes. Our gold, silver and bronze medal system are based on that evil king's games. Edited by Invicta

• Members

I didn't see that Jesus ever competed for a prize in His some 33 years, & He set the example for us to follow.

Jesus never held a full time job, but lived as a poor man off of nothing but donations. I guess when we are saved we should all quit our jobs and go into full time service. Jesus never owned a home (Mat 8:20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.) so none of us Christians should tie ourselves to this wicked world by owning a home or land.
Act 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
Act 4:32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
Act 4:33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
Act 4:34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
Act 4:35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
Act 4:36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus,
Act 4:37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

The example of Jesus is he never owned and these in acts when they got closest to God they sold there homes and land. You don't know of any Christians who are so far away from putting their full faith in God that they feel a need to be tied to this wicked world by owning a home do you Jerry?

• Administrators

Being in this type of contest is not straddling a fence, and there is no scripture that truly backs that up. Just opinion. If you don't want to participate in a contest of this nature, then don't. But let's not get so high handed that we try to claim it's a lack of faith to do so. That's just not accurate.

• Members

Its not high handed, its fact. The talk was about incentives to do that which is right. And the talk was of having a big pot of money for extra incentive, which is taking ones eyes off of the One that can truly strengthen you to have the strength to do all things.

Why not let Jesus be the incentive, & He can be enough, if one has the faith.

As for having an house, that's an easy one

1Ti 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

How many of us are content with food, covering, lodging?

Its always amazing to me what we humans can come up with to defend our self, & believe me, I too have done it too. I come way to short of the glory of my Lord. Point is the post I have made in this topic or any other topic is no put down towards anyone.

• Members

What is wrong with incentive? People work for incentive, people lose weight for incentive, play sports, serve in church, etc.

One incentive given in Scripture for getting right with God is to avoid the torments of hell. Incentives are given to live for Christ...we are told we will reap abundantly if we sow the same way to His cause, we are told we will be rewarded with certain crowns for certain service which we will have the honour of giving to Christ, we are told we will be rewarded with eternal life. All these are incentives.

I don't know how Weight Watchers works today, but I know some people who used it years ago and the incentives they gave for success was an added motivation. That doesn't mean they weren't relying upon God to give them strength.

This contest is more like getting a bonus for doing what you need to do anyway. Companies give out incentive bonus' all the time.

• Members

What is wrong with incentive? People work for incentive, people lose weight for incentive, play sports, serve in church, etc.

One incentive given in Scripture for getting right with God is to avoid the torments of hell. Incentives are given to live for Christ...we are told we will reap abundantly if we sow the same way to His cause, we are told we will be rewarded with certain crowns for certain service which we will have the honour of giving to Christ, we are told we will be rewarded with eternal life. All these are incentives.

I don't know how Weight Watchers works today, but I know some people who used it years ago and the incentives they gave for success was an added motivation. That doesn't mean they weren't relying upon God to give them strength.

This contest is more like getting a bonus for doing what you need to do anyway. Companies give out incentive bonus' all the time.

Who needs any more of an incentive when they've got Jesus? Isn't He enough. Isn't He much more incentive than a pot of money, even a pot of gold?

My incentive is Jesus, & the promise He has given us, that He died on the cross for our sin, that He defeated the last enemy death, that He will come in the air to receive His own, & He brings the rewards with Him, plus there is even more, everlasting life in heaven where there is no more sorrow, death, pain, crying.

We are not of the world, we have overcome the world, we are different that worldly people, for Christ lives in us, He is our strength, He is our incentive, He is our everything, all of our hope should be in Him, & He should be the only helper we need.

• Members

Who needs any more of an incentive when they've got Jesus? Isn't He enough. Isn't He much more incentive than a pot of money, even a pot of gold?

My incentive is Jesus, & the promise He has given us, that He died on the cross for our sin, that He defeated the last enemy death, that He will come in the air to receive His own, & He brings the rewards with Him, plus there is even more, everlasting life in heaven where there is no more sorrow, death, pain, crying.

We are not of the world, we have overcome the world, we are different that worldly people, for Christ lives in us, He is our strength, He is our incentive, He is our everything, all of our hope should be in Him, & He should be the only helper we need.

By this reasoning we should not accept any compensation for anything we do. We should not accept Social Security because that's one of the incentives to work and send money to the government. We should not work for pay because pay is an incentive to work. We shouldn't accept an employee of the month award or an employee of the month parking space. We should not accept promotions, whether in pay, rank, title or other matters, as those are used as incentives. When raising children we should give them no incentive to do right.

Christ is our all and all good things come from God. If we win a contest, get a pay raise, receive an award, they are gifts from God, not a matter of our own efforts.

Jesus even challenged the disciples to be servants with the incentive that such reaps rewards in heaven.

God gave the Israelites incentive to obey His Word, telling them if they did as He said that He would rain blessings upon them.