• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Utah appeals court upholds charges stemming from baby who died while sleeping with parents

• Members

Both of my children co-slept with me. Many people I knwo co-slept with their children. If done properly, it is very beneficial and safe. Stories like this make it seem unsafe. Now, there are undoubtedly situations when it is very unsafe....if the parent is a smoker or a heavy drinker, if you use many blankets, and sheets, etc., buti if done properly, it is very safe. If we have another, we will undoubtedly co-sleep again. Typically, we do this until the baby is done nursing around 2-3 years of age.

It makes me wonder if these people were smokers or heavy drinkers or drug users, or if there were some other factors involved to make this incredibly risky. The sad thing is that these things were not reported. Why were they charged??? Were there other factors involved other than co-sleeping?

• Members

negligent homicide, involuntary homicide, of course. There’s always a danger for an infant that’s in bed with two adults. And I knew well when I posted this someone might likely defend two adults sleeping with an infant.

No matter what it is there’s always some that say it could never happen to me.

The editor of our local paper stated, I talk & send text messages on my phone when driving. Its stupid for the government to make a law against this. I will never have a wreck because of sending text messages or talking on my phone.

And perhaps it wasn’t never happen to them, & perhaps an infant will never die while sleeping with you & your wife. Yet the truth is it happens, & if it can be prevented, it should be prevented.

And its always neat, yet very sad, to see it happen to those that say it can’t happen to me. The reason its sad is because a human suffers because of another humans attitude about self.

• Members

negligent homicide, involuntary homicide, of course. There’s always a danger for an infant that’s in bed with two adults. And I knew well when I posted this someone might likely defend two adults sleeping with an infant.

No matter what it is there’s always some that say it could never happen to me.

The editor of our local paper stated, I talk & send text messages on my phone when driving. Its stupid for the government to make a law against this. I will never have a wreck because of sending text messages or talking on my phone.

And perhaps it wasn’t never happen to them, & perhaps an infant will never die while sleeping with you & your wife. Yet the truth is it happens, & if it can be prevented, it should be prevented.

And its always neat, yet very sad, to see it happen to those that say it can’t happen to me. The reason its sad is because a human suffers because of another humans attitude about self.

I disagree that co-sleeping is inherently dangerous. It is not at all like texting and driving. Co-sleeping, if done properly, is very safe and a natural thing to do.

Having said that, there are circumstances that can make it very dangerous such as smoking, heaving drinking, sleeping with lots of sheets on the bed, etc. There is a proper way to do it, as well as an improper way.

There are just as many, if not more, cases of SIDS when babies die when sleeping alone. These cases are not reported. It is only the rare exception that a co-sleeping baby dies that is reported. How many babies that died of SIDS could have been saved had they been sleeping next to a parent so that the parent could have heard the breathing stopped and responded quickly?

I am not saying there is a right way and a wrong way. I am saying that co-sleeping gets a bad reputation with bad reporting. This reporting was TERRIBLE. LIke I said, did the parents moke a pack of cigarrettes that day and then drink a case of beer before going to bed with the infant? If so, that is reckless and contributed to the child's death.

I would never recommend co-sleeping unless someone is well read and educated on the subject. But, if you are educated on the subject and do it properly, it is a wonderful thing.

SIDS happens, whether you co-sleep or put the infant in a separate room. It is a terrible thing. I just do not understand why cases of SIDS when a child is not co-sleeping gets hardly any mention, but if you had the same case with a co-sleeping child, then it makes national headlines.

• Members

I agree that there are some questions left to be answered. My husband and I are about to have our first child, but we will not be co-sleeping. My mom told me that sometimes she was just too tired to get up and go back to bed, so they co slept with us but not very often. It is interesting that two babies have died in their care. The first one they weren't charged for. I wonder if they would have been charged with this one of the first one had never occurred.

• Members

I did not say co-sleeping is wrong, I did say sleeping with an infant in your bed is dangerous, & can end up ending a very young life.

And I did not compare cell phone use with this, Sorry, but you have a complete lack of understanding, & or you try to turn things around trying to make others look foolish.

What I was saying, that many think to highly of their self & thinks bad things cannot happen when they do stupid things. And yes, its stupid for two adults to sleep in the bed with an infant, for its a good way to cause a death

And its stupid to talk on a cell phone, send text messages while driving. Those that do need to be held responsible for damage & deaths they cause.

And I always love to keep an eye on the ones that says it can never happen to me. I've seen many have to eat their words, I hope you don't have to, I would not wish that on anyone.

Just a wild guess, probably would not, wit the 1st one, them a 2nd one, the pattern begins.

• Members

I am not trying to turn things around or make anyone look foolish.

I have read up extensively on co-sleeping after the birth of our first daughter. We decided it was right for our family. I am not saying it is right for everyone or that everyone should consider it. However, it is dispicable that the media tries to scare people into not co-sleeping when the research is not there to show that it is inherently dangerous.

Here is a good, informative article about it. http://www.phdinparenting.com/2009/01/11/co-sleeping-safety/

• Administrators

How horribly sad! I can see why they are being charged, since it's a repeat of what happened 3 years earlier. Negligent homicide covers a wide gamut.

I don't think that co-sleeping is inherently dangerous. But there are dangers. We didn't co-sleep, but there were times our son would nap with daddy. He loved that.

• Members

They have arms reach co sleeping bassinet that interested me but we settled on a cradle by myside of the bed during the night with everything needed for the baby. So I was more comfortable with this then the baby being in bed with me since both hubby and I move alot in our sleep. So if you move around alot or your spouse it might be in the best interest to not co-sleep.