• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Michigan Minister Opens Tattoo Parlor in His Church

• Members
6 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

Tattoos were forbidden in the Old Testament: (Leviticus 19:28) "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."  However, since we are told that we are no longer under the law (Romans 6:14 &c.), and since 1 Corinthians 6:12 says that "all things are lawful," many people interpret this to mean that anything and everything is permissible for Christians; almost without exception.  They seem to think that even though God hated and forbade something in the Old Testament (tattoos), that the same thing is something that can glorify Him and now pleases Him.

Since I still see myself as a neophyte, perhaps someone here can help me.  Are there any biblical examples of something being sinful and forbidden in the Old Testament, but being edifying and glorifying in the New Testament?

There are things in the OT that were forbidden to the Jews but allowed in the NT, such as dietary laws for example, but they were not turned into something edifying and glorifying.

• Members
3 minutes ago, weary warrior said:

There are things in the OT that were forbidden to the Jews but allowed in the NT, such as dietary laws for example, but they were not turned into something edifying and glorifying.

I wonder why there's no, "Eat pork and shellfish for Jesus" ministries to help witness to Jews.

• Members
4 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

Tattoos were forbidden in the Old Testament: (Leviticus 19:28) "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."  However, since we are told that we are no longer under the law (Romans 6:14 &c.), and since 1 Corinthians 6:12 says that "all things are lawful," many people interpret this to mean that anything and everything is permissible for Christians; almost without exception.  They seem to think that even though God hated and forbade something in the Old Testament (tattoos), that the same thing is something that can glorify Him and now pleases Him.

Since I still see myself as a neophyte, perhaps someone here can help me.  Are there any biblical examples of something being sinful and forbidden in the Old Testament, but being edifying and glorifying in the New Testament?

You are not a neophyte. You are on the right track.

The churches are full of folks who justify any sin they desire to lust after by saying we are under grace and not under the law. The grace of God teaches us to live godly in all aspects of our life.

Just because we are not under the Law does not give a person to commit immoral acts, dis-respect the human body, miss-use the human body, or other ungodly acts. The lusts of the flesh lust are wicked, and wrong. They are wrong under the Law and under Grace. See Paul's examples of wickedness, and how we should treat our body, under grace,  in 1 Corinthians 5:11-13 and 6:9-20

Morality is always right, whether under the Law, or under Grace. Eating unclean animals (Leviticus 11), is not a moral law, Temple ceremonies are not a moral Law, sacrifices offered under the Law are not a moral Law.  

The grace of the Lord Jesus teaches us not to sin, or to harm our neighbor, or to harm our body. Titus 3:11 and 12, "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously,  and godly, in this present world."