• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Michigan Minister Opens Tattoo Parlor in His Church

• Members

Rev. Steve Bentley of The Bridge, a church located inside a Flint Township shopping center, said his ministry is built on the belief that mainstream religion has become ineffective and irrelevant to most people. To that end, he opened Serenity Tattoo.

Just another sign of worldliness.

Ineffective and irrelevant? No, rather he and others want things their way instead of obeying the Bible.

(null)

• Members

Don't forget, we've had some show up here proclaiming there is nothing wrong with Christians getting "Christian tattoos" and declaring that "Christian tattoos" are a means of witnessing.

It's all too common today for the church to adapt to the world, making themselves like the world to attract the world, having church in bars, cowboy church, biker church, "gay" church, etc.

Scripture says we are not to be conformed to the world.

• Members

Don't forget, we've had some show up here proclaiming there is nothing wrong with Christians getting "Christian tattoos" and declaring that "Christian tattoos" are a means of witnessing.

I've been ostracized by my sister by giving her scripture. She tried to convince me it was ok and/or good that her eldest son got a tattoo with a Bible verse.....she said it is "his favorite verse and has deep spiritual meaning." (she's a part-time Lutheran, who rarely reads her Bible and picks and chooses what parts to follow).

• Members

It's all too common today for the church to adapt to the world, making themselves like the world to attract the world, having church in bars, cowboy church, biker church, "gay" church, etc.

Those are worldly churches, not a church that Jesus intended.

My previous pastor would call them "smooth-preaching churches."

• Members

That smooth preaching, feeling good preaching, for many pastors they would not have a church to pastor, if that was not what they preached.

And there's many that would never attend a single church services if they did not get that feeling good smooth preaching with an accent on prosperity.

It seems most churches these days are churches of no offence, that is they will not say a thing that might make anyone uncomfortable about the sins they enjoy. One of my classmates from 1965 is that type pastor, & he is a product of the SBC. he once told my wife, I never do a sermon, I really don't have the time to study & put sermons together, I always use someone else's sermons, those people down there at my church will never know the difference.

I might add, most of those think people such as us as being evil, being filled with hate, yet we should expect it, Jesus was done than way.

• Members

That smooth preaching, feeling good preaching, for many pastors they would not have a church to pastor, if that was not what they preached.

And there's many that would never attend a single church services if they did not get that feeling good smooth preaching with an accent on prosperity.

It seems most churches these days are churches of no offence, that is they will not say a thing that might make anyone uncomfortable about the sins they enjoy. One of my classmates from 1965 is that type pastor, & he is a product of the SBC. he once told my wife, I never do a sermon, I really don't have the time to study & put sermons together, I always use someone else's sermons, those people down there at my church will never know the difference.

I might add, most of those think people such as us as being evil, being filled with hate, yet we should expect it, Jesus was done than way.

All of this is why I'm thankful for my previous church back in MO and what I learned there and from other preachers/pastors/evangelists in the MO/KS/OK area. I'm still traveling, which keeps me physically out of a local church near our new home every other Sunday, but I'm being very careful as to where we will call our next church "home." I'm doing my best (and with the Lord's guidance) to observe, listen and discern, and ask questions. I'm hoping to start working from home full-time later this month, which then will allow my wife and I to visit more/other churches.

• Members

So, I'm surmising that the seeker model church has found a way to fund itself since they don't really teach tithing? :)

I just think it's weird for a church to run a business that is part of the vanity industry right there on its property.

• Members

I've been ostracized by my sister by giving her scripture. She tried to convince me it was ok and/or good that her eldest son got a tattoo with a Bible verse.....she said it is "his favorite verse and has deep spiritual meaning." (she's a part-time Lutheran, who rarely reads her Bible and picks and chooses what parts to follow).

I've heard others say how "honouring" and good it is to have Scripture or Christian symbols tattooed on a Christian. However, Scripture tells us to hide God's Word in our hearts, not to tattoo His Word upon our bodies, the temple of the Holy Ghost.

• Members

I've heard others say how "honouring" and good it is to have Scripture or Christian symbols tattooed on a Christian. However, Scripture tells us to hide God's Word in our hearts, not to tattoo His Word upon our bodies, the temple of the Holy Ghost.

Of course, and I gave her references, which were met with great resistance and opposition to the Bible.

Sadly, she doesn't read her Bible hardly at all, is still very worldly (drinking, etc.), but thinks she's saved because she's a good mom, listens to her Lutheran pastor/priest or whatever, and thinks that we (wife and I) are out of our minds and part of a cult because we believe in the KJV only, and the IFB/Bible doctrine. She still believes that one can intentionally disobey God daily and still go to heaven....all one has to do is confess their sins (despite repeating them and being very worldly) and listen to the Lutheran pastor.

Sounds kinda like Catholicism....

• Members

Of course, and I gave her references, which were met with great resistance and opposition to the Bible.

Sadly, she doesn't read her Bible hardly at all, is still very worldly (drinking, etc.), but thinks she's saved because she's a good mom, listens to her Lutheran pastor/priest or whatever, and thinks that we (wife and I) are out of our minds and part of a cult because we believe in the KJV only, and the IFB/Bible doctrine. She still believes that one can intentionally disobey God daily and still go to heaven....all one has to do is confess their sins (despite repeating them and being very worldly) and listen to the Lutheran pastor.

Sounds kinda like Catholicism....

Those are the sort of people most difficult to reach with the Gospel. They already think they are okay with God, heavenbound and in no need of learning anything else or making any changes in their lives.

I have family who thinks they are saved because they were baptized years ago. They think they can live as they please, believing themselves to be better than most others.

It's a real shame there are so many churches that teach false doctrines and lead so many astray.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Tattoos were forbidden in the Old Testament: (Leviticus 19:28) "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."  However, since we are told that we are no longer under the law (Romans 6:14 &c.), and since 1 Corinthians 6:12 says that "all things are lawful," many people interpret this to mean that anything and everything is permissible for Christians; almost without exception.  They seem to think that even though God hated and forbade something in the Old Testament (tattoos), that the same thing is something that can glorify Him and now pleases Him.

Since I still see myself as a neophyte, perhaps someone here can help me.  Are there any biblical examples of something being sinful and forbidden in the Old Testament, but being edifying and glorifying in the New Testament?