• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

sissytishad

Okay I brought this question here for help?

We as a family believe in KJV only. Well I made a comment about buying our daughter a study bible that has the tabs and I received heat from others in our extended family about only using KJV. They said that our daughters view of the scripture will be short sighted.

Is that true that our daughter(10 years old) should be allow to read other versions? I know were we stand and I just thought I would ask it here to get everyone elses opinions.

Also I was told that if we get her anything but black or burgundy she might as well not read it.

Does anyone know were to get a girly color that is large print with thumb index? Also would you get an study bible or reference bible?

Stick by your beliefs, you start introducing her to other versions and she will get confused, the Holy Spirit teaches us how to understand what God wants to reveal to us as we mature in His Word. Also, the color does not matter, the only thing that matters is that it is the KJV.

You do have to be careful what study/reference Bible you get for her, some of the books while being KJV, have study notes based upon other versions, found this out after my brother paid $65 for a reference Bible, printed by Zondervan, that used NIV notes. This can cause more confusion. I think you are going to have to look them over before you buy one, I have a reference and a study Bible, both have good info, so, whichever you choose for her consider what you think she will benefit from the most.

Edited by Christie1107

I use the Thompsons chain ref with black leather and tabs - the only one I have found in SA that is as close to suitable - lots of IFB churches have good KJV 1611 bibles for sale. Try them.

Stand by what the Holy Ghost has guided you to hold to as you principles in this.

There are many out there who make all sorts of claims, many of which are unbiblical. Some think children should only MVs or children versions, some say never a KJB. None of that is biblical and for hundreds of years children actually learned to read using the KJB so there is history on the side of children being able to read and understand the KJB.

Some folks will say any Bible other than black is wrong or even evil. Some say tabs on a Bible is wrong, some say writing in a Bible is wrong, some say to not write in your Bible is wrong.

When it comes down to it we (parents) are responsible before God for what Bible we give our children. We better seek the Lord and follow His guidance in these matters regardless of what anyone else says.

Since most study Bibles have at least some notes you would probably disagree with it's probably best to avoid a study Bible. It's better if the child has questions they search it out in Scripture themselves, possibly using references within the Bible, a concordance or dictionary, or best of all, they ask their parents.

We started all our children with the KJB nearly as soon as they could read.

We as a family believe in KJV only. Well I made a comment about buying our daughter a study bible that has the tabs and I received heat from others in our extended family about only using KJV. They said that our daughters view of the scripture will be short sighted.

Is that true that our daughter(10 years old) should be allow to read other versions? I know were we stand and I just thought I would ask it here to get everyone elses opinions.

Also I was told that if we get her anything but black or burgundy she might as well not read it.

Does anyone know were to get a girly color that is large print with thumb index? Also would you get an study bible or reference bible?

I would buy her only a KJB. Try Sword of the Lord, they only sell KJ Bibles, & here is their web site.

Edited to add, if you happen not to find the color you want, you might be able to buy a Bible cover in that color. Edited by Jerry80871852

sissy, you and your hubby are the ones raising your daughter...not extended family. While they might mean well, they are incorrect. How in the world can someone be short sighted about scripture because they only use the KJB? That is just bogus. I know many people who use other versions believe that those who stay with the KJB don't get all they can out of scripture. That is hogwash. The Holy Spirit is the One Who teaches us as we read...He will guide your daughter as she reads.

As to the cover color: whatever color you pick out will be fine. Most online places that sell Bibles sell pink, if you want to go that route. But burgundy is close, although darker (duh! :icon_smile: ).

I had a Thompson Chain study Bible that I just loved. It might be a bit confusing to your daughter at first, but the chains throughout are great, and you could sit down with her and help her figure out how to use it. I don't know if they have any with tabs or not. A large print Thompson Chain would likely be pretty heavy...

Stick to raising your daughter the way you believe the Lord would have you and your hubby do.

Jerry, a Bible cover is a good idea.

Thanks everyone for the input. I know we are the ones raising the kids but it is funny how the ones attack you the most are fellow believers. I should have known that when they were more worried about supporting alternative lifestyles they might not agree with KJB. We are the odd ones in both sides of our family. We dont let our children just go anywere and not without us. THen of course the biggest mistake is that we actually homeschool. What happen to parents actually wanting to be with their kids?

Thanks everyone for the input. I know we are the ones raising the kids but it is funny how the ones attack you the most are fellow believers. I should have known that when they were more worried about supporting alternative lifestyles they might not agree with KJB. We are the odd ones in both sides of our family. We dont let our children just go anywere and not without us. THen of course the biggest mistake is that we actually homeschool. What happen to parents actually wanting to be with their kids?

I can relate to all that!

Our family has been after us because we go to the "wrong" church (our church is too serious and so not as fun and entertainment centered as they think it should be), we homeschool, we have rules for our children we expect them to follow, our children are not allowed to do whatever they want, "hang out" with whoever they want, have whatever they want, watch or listen to whatever they want, and we require our children to help around the house with chores and such.

It's difficult to have to hear such attacks from family but we believe we must do what the Lord leads us to do. For the most part, after all these years, we avoid things that would bring up potential disagreements in these areas so there is less attacking coming our way, though it still comes, than there was years ago.

Here's my statement of faith (SOF) on God's Word, I encourage everyone to have their own. Start with your local church/other Bible believing church SOFs read them pray about them and develop your families own SOF, write it down and stick with it, ask your pastor to help, but above all base your SOF on the word of God...

I believe the original texts are the divinely inspired Word of God in its entirety, written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit, and that it is the sole authority for the Christian's faith and conduct. I believe the King James Version of the Bible is the preserved Word of God for teaching and preaching to English speaking people. This is what I will use when I quote scripture. I believe other English translations contain the Word of God including the latest Roman Church Bibles, Douay –Rheims and The New American Bible, Saint Joseph Edition. (2 Timothy 3.16-17; 2 Peter 1.20-21)

...the 1769 KJV fits me and I believe God is honored that I have it settled.

Besides the above...I cannot submit to memory the newer EVs. It's too much like casual conversation which, lends to discard or minimize a great percentage when someone is reading or speaking. We have to remember this is God speaking to us and answering questions we have; so, casual, discard, or minimalism are not options. The KJB makes me pause and think about the meaning also; in many cases I look up meaning. It causes me to meditate on God's Word and I know that pleases Him. (2 Timothy 3:15)

By fellow believers and alternative lifestyles do you mean your local church membership favors or condones homosexuality?

Not our church but family members church and family members. I was told by my sister she wouldnt come to our church due the stance on alternative lifestyle. Their church is suppose to be IFB but the doctrine they promote is totally different from the IFB I have grown up as.

I would not have my Children do daily Bible devotional reading from another version other than the KJV, but I also do not keep other versions away from them. Sounds like this is a good time to show your children the differences in Bible versions, and why the KJV is the presereved Word of God for the English speaking people.

We have decided to get her a pink KJV reference bible. We are going to also get our 2 year old son a blue KJV bible reference bible. The bible is similar to one of my old bibles that she loves and so I think she will like it. We are going to have their names put on them as well. We plan on letting them at a later date to read and look at other versions. Right now I dont think she has to debate why KJV only so we will discuss that at a later date. We try to not over protect them but I dont want them to be confused at this time.

Not our church but family members church and family members. I was told by my sister she wouldnt come to our church due the stance on alternative lifestyle. Their church is suppose to be IFB but the doctrine they promote is totally different from the IFB I have grown up as.

There are some non-traditional IFB churches in this area too. Most have dropped the KJB, most use CCM, most have either dropped or seriously lowered dress standards, at least one accepts women in leadership, and several are now involved in ecumenical endeavors with other area churches, including with Catholic churches.

I really wonder why they bother to hold onto the name of IFB since the "F" no longer applies.

We have decided to get her a pink KJV reference bible. We are going to also get our 2 year old son a blue KJV bible reference bible. The bible is similar to one of my old bibles that she loves and so I think she will like it. We are going to have their names put on them as well. We plan on letting them at a later date to read and look at other versions. Right now I dont think she has to debate why KJV only so we will discuss that at a later date. We try to not over protect them but I dont want them to be confused at this time.

Smart decision, I agree 100%.

I dearly believe some parents puts things on their children way before they're mature enough to deal with them. 1st, teach them what is right, them later when they have to deal with such issues, they will have God's truth planted in their mind.

Smart decision, I agree 100%.

I dearly believe some parents puts things on their children way before they're mature enough to deal with them. 1st, teach them what is right, them later when they have to deal with such issues, they will have God's truth planted in their mind.

Amen! Don't rush the process. Get them firmly rooted and grounded in the Word before getting into these other matters.

When the government trains people to find fake money, they study real money not fake money.

Study the King James and you will notice errors when others try to say them.

I don't believe I understand what your saying here, others may not either, could you rephrase it.

Hi Tisha,

i think your plan is a good one. We only use King James with our kids, and we've explained to them why. I don't think colour of a bible reflects anything, after all looking at nature you can see God is the master creator of colour.

I don't believe I understand what your saying here, others may not either, could you rephrase it.

What Eric is saying is...

When Secret Service agents are trained to spot counterfeit money, they aren't trained to study the counterfeit bills...they only study what real money looks like. That way, when a counterfeit bill comes along, the agents can spot it easily because it's different than an original bill.

Therefore, only study and read the King James, and when a counterfeit comes along, you can spot it easily.

Great you have it settled. I only hope the 2 Yr old doesn't eat too many pages literally, :)

What Eric is saying is...

When Secret Service agents are trained to spot counterfeit money, they aren't trained to study the counterfeit bills...they only study what real money looks like. That way, when a counterfeit bill comes along, the agents can spot it easily because it's different than an original bill.

Therefore, only study and read the King James, and when a counterfeit comes along, you can spot it easily.

Right!

When I was working retail, that's how we were taught to spot counterfeit bills by learning and studying what the real bills looked like. Study the real ones and you will more easily be able to spot a counterfeit.

Same thing would apply to the King James Bible.

Edited by LindaR

Have you heard of the King James Bible Companion that has definitions for about 500 old words in the KJV? If you want to make sure they understand everything, that might help.

I would buy her a KJV Bible and a copy of the Halley's Bible Handbook, be sure to get the original Halley's that quotes the KJV and not the newer updated one that his children are marketing that quotes the NIV. His original bible handbook is still in print; it's in its 23rd or 24th printing and is still applicable today.

They said that our daughters view of the scripture will be short sighted.

Christianbook has some colorful KJV bibles, large print with the thumb indexes.  It's your relatives who are being foolish and mislead.

THen of course the biggest mistake is that we actually homeschool. What happen to parents actually wanting to be with their kids?

That's because it's not the way of the world.  If you're not following the heathen, you're weird.  Welcome to weird!

Hey Dave, what about the 1873 King James?