• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

blossom

Inter-racial marriage

I was reading recently a message on the biblical view point of inter racial marriage. The person said there is nothing in the bible to prevent inter racial marriage.( Just a note, I agree there is no biblical reason against inter racial marriages) As a part of his argument he said the reason why God kept the jews from inter- racial marriage was to keep the bloodline of Christ pure. What I don't understand and am asking is if this is so how do you explain Ruth marrying Boaz?

Christ had to be born of the line of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. That line would not be disrupted by adding in some people from 'outside' families. The Israelites themselves were descended from the four wives/concubines of Jacob - and I'm sure those concubines weren't related to Abraham. ;)

The people surrounding the Hebrews were idolatrous, immoral, wicked nations. God instructed His people not to marry them because "they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly." (Ex. 34:12-16; Deut. 7:1-4) We see that whenever the Israelites disobeyed God's command to keep themselves separate, idolatry did spread through the nation. This invariably brought God's punishment on them.

While the bloodline of Christ was important, Scripture seems to indicate that the primary reason the Israelites were not to intermarry was to preserve them spiritually. We see the example to believers to be separate in our close relationships lest we be drawn into the world.

We've had this and similar discussions here before. The Jews were commanded not to mix with those where they were going because of their idolotry, not because of their race. Many in the area were of the Semetic race, having come from the line of Abraham's son Ishmael.

Pastor's who claim the commands for Jewish separation were racial, rather than religious, fail to take into account the whole Word of God. Non-Jews were welcome to come to God and "become Jews" and be accepted as such.

The commands for separation were for religious (staying true to the One True God while not becoming entangled with false god worshippers) and not racial reasons.

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Yes, everything they yoked together with unbelievers, they turned from God. And the same thing happens today, yet many refuse to oben God & separate.

The reason God prevented intermarriage was to keep from having His people led away to false gods. Period. Interestingly enough, both Rahab the harlot and Ruth the Moabitess ended up in the line of Christ, so it couldn't have anything to do with pure lineage.

An example of taking ungodly wives.

Ezr 10:1 ¶ Now when Ezra had prayed, and when he had confessed, weeping and casting himself down before the house of God, there assembled unto him out of Israel a very great congregation of men and women and children: for the people wept very sore.
Ezr 10:2 And Shechaniah the son of Jehiel, one of the sons of Elam, answered and said unto Ezra, We have trespassed against our God, and have taken strange wives of the people of the land: yet now there is hope in Israel concerning this thing.

Many of our married brothers & sister have read this, yet they still marry the lost taking no thought what God has said to all of us though His Word.

Ezr 10:1 ¶ Now when Ezra had prayed, and when he had confessed, weeping and casting himself down before the house of God, there assembled unto him out of Israel a very great congregation of men and women and children: for the people wept very sore.
Ezr 10:2 And Shechaniah the son of Jehiel, one of the sons of Elam, answered and said unto Ezra, We have trespassed against our God, and have taken strange wives of the people of the land: yet now there is hope in Israel concerning this thing.

Many of our married brothers & sister have read this, yet they still marry the lost taking no thought what God has said to all of us though His Word.

It's very common to hear a Christian say that if God didn't want them to marry the non-Christian they plan to marry then God wouldn't have brought them together...or God wouldn't have caused them to fall in love. In this they are proclaiming that God went against His own Word yet they don't see that.

It's also common to hear a Christian declare their non-Christian fiancee is a "good person" and "believes in God" and someday they will "get right with God".

There is also the old, and unbiblical, excuse of "God wants me to be happy" and marrying this non-Christian makes me happy.

All of these goes against the Word of God just as sure as the excuses Christians use to divorce their spouse so they can marry someone else.

It all comes down to who is in charge of our lives. Do we truly accept Jesus as Lord and live accordingly, or do we only call Him Lord out of lip service while actually living as lords of our own lives?

The children of Israel did wrong by marrying the pagan wives; that is a fact. But Ezra the priest also did wrong by having them put those wives and children away. Guess what that made the kids? Fatherless. Except maybe in the case of Hagar, not once does the Word of God say that God condones putting your wife away and neither did He in the case.. Also, I find it intreresting that all during this time, it was raining. What did God say about giving and withholding rain from his people? God never told Ezra to do what he did. The bible says that if you're already married to a husband or wife who is an unbeliever, to stay with them.

The children of Israel did wrong by marrying the pagan wives; that is a fact. But Ezra the priest also did wrong by having them put those wives and children away. Guess what that made the kids? Fatherless. Except maybe in the case of Hagar, not once does the Word of God say that God condones putting your wife away and neither did He in the case.. Also, I find it intreresting that all during this time, it was raining. What did God say about giving and withholding rain from his people? God never told Ezra to do what he did. The bible says that if you're already married to a husband or wife who is an unbeliever, to stay with them.

That's what Scripture says of Christians, not OT Jews.

I was reading recently a message on the biblical view point of inter racial marriage. The person said there is nothing in the bible to prevent inter racial marriage.( Just a note, I agree there is no biblical reason against inter racial marriages) As a part of his argument he said the reason why God kept the jews from inter- racial marriage was to keep the bloodline of Christ pure. What I don't understand and am asking is if this is so how do you explain Ruth marrying Boaz?

I don't agree with "his" argument "pure bloodline." I take the view of preventing idolatry. I have no issue with inter-race marriage.

I couldn't understand the pure bloodline argument, that's why I asked. The idolatry issue is way more plausable.

More importantly, the "idolatry issue" is Biblical.

Exod.23
[23] For mine Angel shall go before thee, and bring thee in unto the Amorites, and the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Canaanites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites: and I will cut them off.
[24] Thou shalt not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do after their works: but thou shalt utterly overthrow them, and quite break down their images.
[25] And ye shall serve the LORD your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee.
[26] There shall nothing cast their young, nor be barren, in thy land: the number of thy days I will fulfil.
[27] I will send my fear before thee, and will destroy all the people to whom thou shalt come, and I will make all thine enemies turn their backs unto thee.
[28] And I will send hornets before thee, which shall drive out the Hivite, the Canaanite, and the Hittite, from before thee.
[29] I will not drive them out from before thee in one year; lest the land become desolate, and the beast of the field multiply against thee.
[30] By little and little I will drive them out from before thee, until thou be increased, and inherit the land.
[31] And I will set thy bounds from the Red sea even unto the sea of the Philistines, and from the desert unto the river: for I will deliver the inhabitants of the land into your hand; and thou shalt drive them out before thee.
[32] Thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor with their gods.
[33] They shall not dwell in thy land, lest they make thee sin against me: for if thou serve their gods, it will surely be a snare unto thee.

Exod.34
[10] And he said, Behold, I make a covenant: before all thy people I will do marvels, such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any nation: and all the people among which thou art shall see the work of the LORD: for it is a terrible thing that I will do with thee.
[11] Observe thou that which I command thee this day: behold, I drive out before thee the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite.
[12] Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee:
[13] But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:
[14] For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:
[15] Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods , and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;
[16] And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.

That's what Scripture says of Christians, not OT Jews.

No, that's what the eternal God who says "I change not" says....

4And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
7They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
9And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery

I don't find where God ever condoned what Ezra did.

No, that's what the eternal God who says "I change not" says....

4And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
7They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
9And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery

I don't find where God ever condoned what Ezra did.

That's not what you cited above.

Heartstrings said:

The bible says that if you're already married to a husband or wife who is an unbeliever, to stay with them.

and.....

Stands to reason, brotherman:: God don't want you to put away your wife for ANY reason, except fornication....and even that, he would rather that you forgive, get right, and stay together anyway.

Ezr 10:11 Now therefore make confession unto the LORD God of your fathers, and do his pleasure: and separate yourselves from the people of the land, and from the strange wives.
Ezr 10:12 Then all the congregation answered and said with a loud voice, As thou hast said, so must we do.

Seems to be God's will that they separate.

Ezr 10:11 Now therefore make confession unto the LORD God of your fathers, and do his pleasure: and separate yourselves from the people of the land, and from the strange wives.
Ezr 10:12 Then all the congregation answered and said with a loud voice, As thou hast said, so must we do.

Seems to be God's will that they separate.

Ezra is doing the speaking, claiming it is God's will, just like you are doing now but, again, no order given from God whatsoever. Another interesting thing Ezra says in the passage is that they are going to do "according to the law". I believe Deuteronomy contains the law does it not? It's in my KJ Bible, how about yours? So explain the following for me if you please.........
Deuteronomy 19:10When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive,
11And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;
12Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house, and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;
13And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife. I do believe that "thine enemies" means this 'beautiful woman' was a foreign wife?

But back to Ezra, he was going to force the Israelite to comply with his orders or have their property confiscated. and the WHOLE TIME all this was going on, GOd Almighty was blessing the land of Israel with rain. Now read the very last verse.........".and some of them had wives by whom they had children.". Breaking up homes and separating kids from their parents.....This was all Ezra's project; it's not good to marry heathen or be yoked with unbeleivers, but two wrongs never make a right. Edited by heartstrings

Ezra is doing the speaking, claiming it is God's will, just like you are doing now but, again, no order given from God whatsoever. Another interesting thing Ezra says in the passage is that they are going to do "according to the law". I believe Deuteronomy contains the law does it not? It's in my KJ Bible, how about yours? So explain the following for me if you please.........
Deuteronomy 19:10When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive,
11And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;
12Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house, and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;
13And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.

But back to Ezra, he was going to force the Israelite to comply with his orders or have their property confiscated. and the WHOLE TIME all this was going on, GOd Almighty was blessing the land of Israel with rain. Now read the very last verse.........".and some of them had wives by whom they had children.". Breaking up homes and separating kids from their parents.....This was all Ezra's project; it's not good to marry heathen or be yoked with unbeleivers, but two wrongs never make a right.

So you believe Ezra was lying when he told the people what God wanted them to do? I see no indication of that whatsoever at all.

So you believe Ezra was lying when he told the people what God wanted them to do? I see no indication of that whatsoever at all.

I didn't say he was lying. Zealous, yes. Mistaken, yes. Remember what happened when King David tried to bring the Ark of God into jerusalem? Sometimes we try to do the right thing in the wrong way.

I didn't say he was lying. Zealous, yes. Mistaken, yes. Remember what happened when King David tried to bring the Ark of God into jerusalem? Sometimes we try to do the right thing in the wrong way.

Scripture makes it clear that David erred and corrected his error.

In the case of Ezra, he is speaking for God to the people and there is no indication at the time or afterward that Ezra was in error or God led him to correct the error.

Ezra, in telling the people he was speaking for God, was either telling the truth or lying when he said it was God's pleasure for the people to separate from the strangers.

No, what it does is show the seriousness of this sin, yet today few there be that heed it. They marry unbelievers & yoke up with unbelievers in many ways, saying, I'm doing the will of God.

That's very common. Most often the believer is dragged down by their unbelieving spouse or the marriage eventually ends in bitter divorce.

Yes, your right, the unbeliever will usually pull the believer away from the Lord, yet not many will believe that even though over & over in the Old Testament God's chosen people would yoke up with unbelievers, them the next thing they were at odds with God.

They would confess their sin, God would forgive them, them they would go right back to it.

Its almost as if they do not believe God.

Edited by Jerry80871852