• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Non-<acronym title='King James Version of the Bible'>KJV</acronym> in cards

Anon

Non-KJV Christmas Cards  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about non-<acronym title='King James Version of the Bible'>KJV</acronym> Christmas (or other) Cards?

• Terrible. I'd never give one out under any circumstance. Its offensive.
    • I probably wouldn't give one out, but I wouldn't be offended if I received one.
    • I probably would give it out if the verse was very close to the KJV with no changed meaning, and I did not see a KJV one at the store.
    • I would give it out because its better to have a verse of some sort than a non-religious Christmas card. God can use it.

• Members

As an addendum..... What would be the difference between getting a card that had NO verse, but saying "Jesus Christ came down to save you" as a sentiment....or a verse that said "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost." I mean.... is the only "bad" part the "NKJV" one? I mean, I guess I"m saying.... isn't it better to have a NKJV verse than no verse at all? I guess that was my logic.... the verse was true and it was good and it was thought provoking and better than just having no verse at all...we buy cards all the time with non-Scripture...??? I dunno.

I mean really, it came down to being offended that there was an "N" in front of the "KJV" and a "has" replacing "is". That's it.

I won't make the mistake again, but I still do not really think it was a bad thing....I think it falls under eating meat...it wasn't bad to me, I thought it was excellent to remind people that Jesus Christ came to save the lost at this time of year....but since its offensive to others, I won't do it again.

I've thought about that before. I wouldn't give out a card with NKJV because people might think I approve of all the NKJV. My mom and I used to read that version, and I thought there was nothing wrong with it because it's from the Received Text, just like the KJV (other modern versions are from the critical text, I'm sure you know)... but there are some little changes that can make a big difference, especially if people aren't careful to read the context. So, since I trust only the KJV, it's all I would give out.
Something like "Jesus came to save you" might be safer because it doesn't claim to be God's Word. It's a paraphrase just like hymns. Col. 3:16 says to speak with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs... I'm assuming the hymns and spiritual songs aren't in the Bible, but just based on Bible truths.
It's getting harder to find good cards (especially since "happy holidays" is so popular now), but you can always write in your own "Christmas verse."
:)

• Administrators

Personally, there would be no offense if I received a non-KJB card. We have, in fact, received many over the years. We send tracts to all of my hubby's customers every year, and have gotten Christmas cards in return that have verses - many non-KJB. We are careful not to send any non-KJB out ourselves.

Suzi, one answer to your dilemma (and anyone else's) is to make your own. I love to design my own...of course, nitpickers could say a person who does that is too cheap to buy one. :icon_rolleyes: I make almost all of our personal cards, and it ends up a lot cheaper than buying them. Plus, I can personalize them with things I know the receiver likes. As creative as you are with cakes, I'll bet you could come up with some doozies. And you could call them Doozies by Suzi. :yeah:

• Members

When choosing a card for my wife's birthday, anniversary, etc., I like the funny ones, especially those with rhyming lines and goofy pictures. But those don't usually have Bible verses. We make alot of our own cards so, we can choose the verse....
I chose #1 but I wouldn't be alarmed,,,unless it happened to be from someone who should know better.

• Members

As an addendum..... What would be the difference between getting a card that had NO verse, but saying "Jesus Christ came down to save you" as a sentiment....or a verse that said "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost." I mean.... is the only "bad" part the "NKJV" one? I mean, I guess I"m saying.... isn't it better to have a NKJV verse than no verse at all? I guess that was my logic.... the verse was true and it was good and it was thought provoking and better than just having no verse at all...we buy cards all the time with non-Scripture...??? I dunno.

I mean really, it came down to being offended that there was an "N" in front of the "KJV" and a "has" replacing "is". That's it.

I won't make the mistake again, but I still do not really think it was a bad thing....I think it falls under eating meat...it wasn't bad to me, I thought it was excellent to remind people that Jesus Christ came to save the lost at this time of year....but since its offensive to others, I won't do it again.

I don't think it was a bad thing either, don't obsess over it. The Apostles didn't quote the KJV when they were preaching the Gospel of Christ. How do you think Christ feels about it?

• Members

Yes there is a difference in making a statement in a card and including a verse as being a representation of the word of God. If you're going to say "Jesus loves you" or something like that, say it. But if you're going to quote God's word, don't misquote Him. Quote the King James.
If the NKJV or any other version, in certain places, leaves out important stuff and twists others, by quoting it aren't you sending a message that the whole version is OK for others to use? And how many words does it take to change the meaning of a sentence?
They tell me there's alot of good food in D-Con but only a teeny weeny bit of poison, but it's that teeny bit of poison that kills the rat. I try to stay away from 'wolves in sheep clothes', 'angels of light' and I don't use the poison-tainted versions.

• Members

Yes there is a difference in making a statement in a card and including a verse as being a representation of the word of God. If you're going to say "Jesus loves you" or something like that, say it. But if you're going to quote God's word, don't misquote Him. Quote the King James.
If the NKJV or any other version, in certain places, leaves out important stuff and twists others, by quoting it aren't you sending a message that the whole version is OK for others to use? And how many words does it take to change the meaning of a sentence?
They tell me there's alot of good food in D-Con but only a teeny weeny bit of poison, but it's that teeny bit of poison that kills the rat. I try to stay away from 'wolves in sheep clothes', 'angels of light' and I don't use the poison-tainted versions.

That's probably the main point, the appearance of acceptance and the can of worms such can open.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

If its not King James then its not the bible, I hate when I go to the CHRISTian bookstore and all the cards are in some strange perversion of the Bible. I want KJB verses

In many so-called Christian bookstores it's difficult to find anything KJB. Even the number and types of King James Bibles have dwindled so it only takes a small area of bookshelf now.

Most of the books are by the "popular" preachers and "Christian authors" like Joel Osteen, Rick Warren and Joyce Myers.

The only KJB-centered Christian store we had in the area was forced to close down because they couldn't compete with the everything goes "Christian" bookstore at the mall.

• Members

I only have Catholic books stores where I live so I usually buy everything online.

I only go to our nearest "Christian" bookstore once every year or two. Then I've only bought stuff out of their bargain book bin because that seems to be where their only worthwhile stuff ends up.

Sad to say, but Catholics and Charismatics could both have a wonderful time shopping there.

The bulk of by Christian shopping is done online.