• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

It happens to me...how about you?

One of the new post/members made me remember something I wanted to ask. Nothing earth shattering here; I didn't write a book about seeing Gabriel sitting on my bedpost...sorry.

Don't you love those sermons that give you some new and fresh look into the scriptures?

What I mean is, when your pastor opens up the scriptures for you in a way that you had never thought of before. Or, brings out a point about scripture that makes you say..."I've read that but completely missed that aspect." or "WOW...I've got to go home and study that further!"

We've had some real gems at my local church recently. They always drive me deeper and further into the word through study at home.

One that comes to mind now is when we were in Hebrews and it led me to "Faith Through The Ages" based solely on Hebrews 11:13.

• Members

Yes that happens a lot and it never ceases to amaze me!

This is one of the reasons it's so important to be in the Word, be in church hearing the sermons, attending Sunday school and Bible studies. The Holy Ghost loves to open the Word to us if we will just give Him the opportunity.

• Moderators

I've had some of my best Bible study times during a preaching service - only I was studying a different subject than than the pastor was preaching on! :lol:

Come to think of it, that only happened at the new evangelical churches I used to attend. It hasn't really happened much since I came to Victory and listened to good preaching! ;)

Edited by salyan

• Members

One of the new post/members made me remember something I wanted to ask. Nothing earth shattering here; I didn't write a book about seeing Gabriel sitting on my bedpost...sorry.

Don't you love those sermons that give you some new and fresh look into the scriptures?

What I mean is, when your pastor opens up the scriptures for you in a way that you had never thought of before. Or, brings out a point about scripture that makes you say..."I've read that but completely missed that aspect." or "WOW...I've got to go home and study that further!"

We've had some real gems at my local church recently. They always drive me deeper and further into the word through study at home.

One that comes to mind now is when we were in Hebrews and it led me to "Faith Through The Ages" based solely on Hebrews 11:13.

Yes, there is usually not a day that my preacher preaches that I do not think, "Wow, I never thought of it like that!" God's Word is amazing so much to tell us.

• Members

I love it when that happens. Over the years, my understanding of the Bible is much different than that with which I grew up. I always had questions, and rather than getting real answers, preachers and laymen would just give me the stock denominational answers that never seemed to make sense. I have found that the Bible is actually quite simple an self-explanatory if we spend time studying it. Lately, I find less likely for this to happen, and I miss it.

However, one preacher who still excites me is Paul Washer. I know that some people see him as controversial, but I can find nothing unscriptural in his sermons. I still love to listen to him because he challenges me to seek more of God.

• Members

I love it when that happens. Over the years, my understanding of the Bible is much different than that with which I grew up. I always had questions, and rather than getting real answers, preachers and laymen would just give me the stock denominational answers that never seemed to make sense. I have found that the Bible is actually quite simple an self-explanatory if we spend time studying it. Lately, I find less likely for this to happen, and I miss it.

One of the biggest problems in the church today is that Christians do not know how to study the Word according to 2Tim 2:15. Pastors don't teach them how, and most pastors don't know how themselves. Met a couple yesterday that have left the church because they are sick of being fleeced!!
Too many rely on the pastor to teach them when they should be learning themselves, yet get frustrated when nothing makes sense because they do not have the right foundation to rightly divide.

I try to teach these two thing to all "modern" believers I come across.
  1. Eternal security.
  2. How to rightly divide.

It's amazing how many don't know they are eternally saved and how to study the bible without getting confused and dealing with the "supposedly" errors and contradictions their pastors have told them are in the bible because they themselves don't know how to rightly divide.

• Members

I agree. I'm surprised at how many believers just glance over the "therefore"'s, etc. I find that the only way that most Christians today know to read the Bible is with isogesis. They start with what they have been taught, and then try to find verses that further prove what they already believe. When they find something that challenges their belief, they either ignore it or fly to some extreme.

To read the Bible in pure exogesis requires us to read the Scriptures within the light of other scripture, never our own thoughts or desires. Doing that, I find that I often find broad and deep themes throughout the Word that don't fit easily into our oversimplification of the faith. Explanations of "Well, everybody knows..." or "I'd like to think..." don't do much for me. I need scriptural evidence, and I think that is the duty of all Christians. It was those who questioned who saw the error of the Catholic teachings. If even the Pharisees can teach wrongly, then I see no reason to trust any group of men, no matter how well intentioned. The one thing that can't be wrong is the Bible, and Christians need to know how to read it.