• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christmas Day & New Years - Worship Services

Christmas and New Years fall on Sunday this year and I wonder how that might effect worship services? I suppose there are some who will close the doors of the local church. That is so sad. I wonder what the excuses might be for not going to worship the Lord on Sunday and to celebrate his birth?

I wonder what the announcements are in yesterday's newspaper for services at local congregations in the weeks ahead?

• Members

No doubt some will justify skipping church "to be with family". Lord willing, I'll "be with family" at church on both days as I plan to take them there with me!

Some will no doubt say they just "can't" cook their Christmas meal if they go to church. How small a sacrifice it would be if we were to have our Christmas meal at a different time so we could spend time worshiping Christ in church?

Some will say they just "can't" make it to church "for the sake of their children" who just "have to" open all those presents and then play with them. No doubt, for some parents, they would be unable to get their children to have patience and attend church on that day because they allow their children to rule the home.

Not that we are perfect by any means, but we have planned ahead for this and have adjusted our personal plans for Christmas day so they revolve around our gathering in church to worship Christ.

• Members

A family visited our church this morning told our pator that their home church will not have services on Christmas Sunday. They decided there's no point to having services on Christmas day since they plan to have a Christmas Eve service. Wow!

Over the past few weeks our pastor has checked around just to get an idea of what other local and area churches are doing. Most seem to be apologizing for Christmas landing on Sunday and further apologizing for going ahead with services.

It seems as if our church is the only one in the area encouraging folks to attend services on Christmas Sunday. The other churches seem to be making excuses for folks not to attend their church on that day by saying they expect low attendance since so many will be spending the day with family.

Our church has taken the approach that a portion of that day should be spent with the family in church!

• Members

We will have a service in the morning but it will be shorter than normal, We expect possibly more than usual as some people come who would not normally come.

My daughter, who lives in London, says that they will celebrate Christmas with their children on Saturday as their church is having two services as normal on the Lord's day.

• Members

On Jan 1st we will have two services as normal.

This afternoon we held our carol Service and the church was nearly full. There were a number of ppeople who we had not seen before including a young couple who said that they were part of the team ministry from a nearby Anglican Church in a village called Seasalter. The church was originally a free Baptist church, but the baptists had got so small they handed the building to the Anglicans who pulled the buiding down and rebuilt it as nthe Seasalter Christian Centre.

• Members

I guess I forgot to mention News Years Day. Our church plans to hold regular services that day. Unless folks were up late partying like the world the night before, why would they miss church on New Years Day when it's not typically a day folks do anything special anyway?

Not only will some skip but some folks wouldn't be able to get in if they wanted to. Some church doors will be locked on Christmas Day! I wonder how a church could decide not to celebrate Christ's birth especially when it falls on Sunday?

• Members

Not only will some skip but some folks wouldn't be able to get in if they wanted to. Some church doors will be locked on Christmas Day! I wonder how a church could decide not to celebrate Christ's birth especially when it falls on Sunday?

Well, you know, just so many "more important" things to do :puzzled3:

• Members

Our church we are attending right now is having normal services in the morning on Christmas day but none in the evening. As far as I know they are having both services on New Years. My in-laws church is having church services earlier on Sunday morning and none in the evening on Christmas. They are having it at ten instead of eleven.

• Members

Christmas and New Years fall on Sunday this year and I wonder how that might effect worship services? I suppose there are some who will close the doors of the local church. That is so sad. I wonder what the excuses might be for not going to worship the Lord on Sunday and to celebrate his birth?

I wonder what the announcements are in yesterday's newspaper for services at local congregations in the weeks ahead?

We are having normal church services both days, my preacher believes (and I agree) that the life of a Christian is 24/7 therefore, we are to serve Him during the holidays as we would any other time. We may altar a soul winning day, like we are going Tuesday instead of Thursday this week, but he never altars a service for the sake of a holiday.