• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Paying off other people's Layaway

Anon

• Members
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/15/anonymous-donors-pay-off-kmart-layaway-accounts-across-country/#ixzz1ge6UAfQp?test=latestnews

Several thoughts on this.

First: These people are awesome and should be commended for their loving acts!

Second: $200 worth of layaway for a four year old? REALLY?! What a spoiled generation we are raising today......

Third: Now everybody is gonna be putting stuff on layaway in hopes somebody will come along and pay it. (Sorry to be cynical).

I would love to have my kids do something for somebody needy but, wow, its just hard to find somebody like that today! Probably the most needy of children, nobody ever knows about because their parents keep them home and abused. The rest of them probably end up getting MORE than my own kids get for Christmas because of all the free programs, or layaway, or whatever other ways they go about getting things. There's always Toys for Tots, too, I guess, but I don't always know how those work either. Some of the parents that get toys from them are adept at going around and taking advantage of all the free programs out there.

I'm sorry, I could never pay somebody's layaway when they had more toys on their account than I would purchase for my own child.

Last: Regardless....very happy for the sweet deeds these good samaritans are doing...and I'm sure many of the people DID need the donations and it was a very very large blessing in their life.

• Members

Very true about a hard heart. Its very difficult when you see people working the system though. I'm genuinely afraid to sacrifice my own money for fear somebody greedy is working the system and will be sure that their kids get more than my own kids do.

I'm the first to donate for a worthy cause. I just never know where to find the TRUE worthy causes these days..... probably missionary or preachers kids, actually... they often have very little money and they do NOT generally work the system or figure out ways to get free toys. I like to try to buy my sister's kids little things once in awhile if I think about it, because she has six kids and they usually don't have much money. God provides all the time for them, though, in really amazing ways.

• Members

Believe me, my wife & I face the same things, & its waxing worse. And I believe many of our bothers & sister are having the same struggles.

We used to have an elderly Christian lady in our church, who I thought much of, yet her heart had gotten so hard in many way. She was her when I came. They had gone though some rough times, lost some members, were supporting no missions. One or 2 in the church brought it up from time to time, & I would 2. We would wind up putting it off, for we could find on missionary that was good enough for her.

The reason was she had been bitten, that can make a hard heart. Finally one Sunday evening after church she & I had a private conversation about this, & she had been bitten.

The very next Sunday morning she said to me, "I understand what you were trying to get across to me", that Sunday evening I brought it up again, we voted to support 2 different missions, & everyone was behind it 100%.

• Members

Our church has a "pastor's discretionary fund" which is used to quietly help those in need in and around our community. One thing I like about this is any money given to help others is done only after one of our pastor's has talked with those in need and only when he knows the need is real. Also, our pastor is careful not to just toss money out quickly and keeps a careful eye out for anyone simply looking for a handout just because they think they can get one.

No doubt it's not perfect, but it's one way we can help those in our community and know pretty well the help is actually going to those in real need.

• Members

Yeah we have a benevolence fund that is used as needed, often for church members or people who come to church on a semi-regular basis who have needs, but occasionally could be used with wisdom if someone in the community possibly could be reached with the Gospel.

I just had a hard time with the layaway thing because to me...I dunno....people should only be putting on layaway what they can afford...but I guess you want a good Christmas for your family, though...I can understand that. However it would seem to me to be more effective to help out someone who can't even afford to put anything on layaway...those kinds of people are hard to find though.

• Members

I agree with the layaway thing. It's a nice gesture on the part of whoever paid, but at the same time, as you say, if they put stuff on layaway then that means they should have already planned to pay for it. Also, who knows what a person may have on layaway? Some families go crazy just buying the latest or best of things to impress others, keep up with others or other frivilous things. It's one thing to help someone buy necessities, and another to help someone have a few things for presents, and totally another to help someone buy a bunch of excess.

• Members

I agree with the layaway thing. It's a nice gesture on the part of whoever paid, but at the same time, as you say, if they put stuff on layaway then that means they should have already planned to pay for it. Also, who knows what a person may have on layaway? Some families go crazy just buying the latest or best of things to impress others, keep up with others or other frivilous things. It's one thing to help someone buy necessities, and another to help someone have a few things for presents, and totally another to help someone buy a bunch of excess.

Yeah. I was mostly put off by the woman who had put $200 worth of toys on layaway for a FOUR year old.....I mean...really..... that is a LOT of toys, even with toys costing what they are...that's a lot.

• Members

I was brought up during the war and you just did not get toys then unless they were second user, which meant pre war, or were home made. The only toy I can remember having in those years, apart from an old train set, was a toy bus a workmate of my father made for me. It was a wooden bus that was like a London Transport Bus, but it had "David's Transport" on the side.

• Members

In yesterday years the mom & pop stories had charge accounts, Walmart has run them out of business, so I suppose having layaway plans can fill the void.

Without it come Christmas morning many children would not have a present.

The layaway plan sound better than the charge account, already having what they charged may give them the thought, I should not pay for it, for I already have it.

• Members

In yesterday years the mom & pop stories had charge accounts, Walmart has run them out of business, so I suppose having layaway plans can fill the void.

Without it come Christmas morning many children would not have a present.

The layaway plan sound better than the charge account, already having what they charged may give them the thought, I should not pay for it, for I already have it.

Children would not have a present?

What's the difference between paying $50/month on layaway or saving $50 a month in your bank or under your pillow and then going to the store to purchase all outright?

• Members

I was brought up during the war and you just did not get toys then unless they were second user, which meant pre war, or were home made. The only toy I can remember having in those years, apart from an old train set, was a toy bus a workmate of my father made for me. It was a wooden bus that was like a London Transport Bus, but it had "David's Transport" on the side.

When my Dad was growing up he said Christmas presents were mostly clothes and maybe one toy. Of course the toys back then were similar to how you describe, rather simple (especially by todays standards) and inexpensive.

• Members

Children would not have a present?

What's the difference between paying $50/month on layaway or saving $50 a month in your bank or under your pillow and then going to the store to purchase all outright?

There shouldn't be any children with a family who don't have a toy for Christmas due to lack of money. One can walk into a dollar store and for five bucks and perhaps a bit of change for tax have five presents. There are a myriad of programs the poor can turn to for help in providing presents.

The real issue seems to be the spoiled attitude of most in America, even among the poor, who seem to think abundance and expense is what counts. I've seen poor families where they will charge a thousand dollars on a credit card so their two young children can have "the best". Is that really what Christmas is supposed to be about?

The difference between saving money to pay for Christmas presents and putting it on layaway and scrambling to come up with the money to pay for that is planning, or in most cases, a lack of planning. Most in America want everything now so the idea of saving some money in May so they can buy Christmas presents in November seems like a horrible idea when they would much rather spend that money in May on what they want right then. Then all through the Christmas shopping season these people complain about how hard it is for them to pay the bills and pay off their layaway. Often they will carry on about their great sacrifice trying to elicit sympathy (and sometimes money) from anyone who will listen.

• Members

There is lots of young families out there that are struggling. the cost of living is very high, has gone up tremendously in the last several years.

An example, in 94 we installed a new heat pump on our house, cost, $1100.00, recently our outside unit went out, its costing $1700.00 to replace it. And the main reason things are so high is our government, & the regulations they have placed on us in order to take money from us in order to support their spending habits. And it will only wax worse.

A newly married husband & wife, with a child or 2, trying to get by are having tough times, even if they are conservative with their spending. For many of them it takes every penny they make to pay rent, make house payment, pay water bill, pay electric bill, pay insurance, make a payment on a car in order to be able to get back & forth to work, & of course gas is still sky high, buy clothes, put food on the table.

I remember well how it was in my early days, & its tougher times now than what Linda & I had in our early years.

• Members

There is lots of young families out there that are struggling. the cost of living is very high, has gone up tremendously in the last several years.

An example, in 94 we installed a new heat pump on our house, cost, $1100.00, recently our outside unit went out, its costing $1700.00 to replace it. And the main reason things are so high is our government, & the regulations they have placed on us in order to take money from us in order to support their spending habits. And it will only wax worse.

A newly married husband & wife, with a child or 2, trying to get by are having tough times, even if they are conservative with their spending. For many of them it takes every penny they make to pay rent, make house payment, pay water bill, pay electric bill, pay insurance, make a payment on a car in order to be able to get back & forth to work, & of course gas is still sky high, buy clothes, put food on the table.

I remember well how it was in my early days, & its tougher times now than what Linda & I had in our early years.

You are right. Times are not easy. I know that if it weren't for my parents, my husband and I would be having a lot rougher time. When my parents first got married, it wasn't easy for them either. They were on WIC and at one point food stamps. (They got off of them as soon as they could). They told my husband and I that is why they were helping us by stuff for Faith. They understand what it is like to live on a tight budget. God has provided through family and friends with this baby coming. We haven't had to buy very many things ourselves for her. The most expensive thing we will have bought by the time she comes will be around $30. Today my husband's work had a baby shower for us, and I was honestly overwhelmed with how many gifts there were. He said there were ten people in the department he works in, but there were definitely a lot more than ten gifts. My parents church in NE also had a baby shower for us. God has just provided all the way through.

You guys are right though. Sometimes we do become hardened. Sometimes I find myself judging everyone I see with an EBT card, but I shouldn't. Some people actually aren't abusing the system and really do need the help until they can get themselves out of the hole.

BTW...if someone is really looking for a family to help, many times local schools can help you. My parents' church asks the school there what family really needs help and that they can sponsor and buy gifts for.