• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Your church hymnal

• Members

We use "Soul Stirring Songs & Hymns" from Sword of the Lord (1983 edition)

Sad to say that some of those hymns have been "altered"...words changed in the Old Account Was Settled by those who didn't teach repentance...and some verses in other hymns were taken out.

Edited by LindaR

• Members

I have never heard of any of those.

We use Christian Hymns, new edition, before that we used the original edition which I prefered, as many hymns are altered in the new edition. before that, Hymns of Faith.

I personally use The American Service Hymnal. Copyright 1968 by John T. Benson Publishing Ltd. I've used this since approx. 1982.

I don't remember which one we use at my local church, I'll have to look at it.

• Members
We use Christian Hymns, new edition, before that we used the original edition which I prefered, as many hymns are altered in the new edition. before that, Hymns of Faith.

Cranford Baptist Church - (morning service only)
"New Christian Hymns" - which has retained too much of the archaic words & set the tunes too high, also includes a few of the better modern CCM hymns - really they should not have bothered - but of course you have to keep bringing out a new hymn book if you want to maintain sales ... so I agree with Invicta for a different reason. I have to select tunes & change key.

Hounslow West Evangelical Church - evening - "Praise!" which begins with all 150 Psalms, modernised to remove the Scottish doggerel. It is a thoroughly modernised hymn book without archaic language. It would have been much more suitable for Cranford's immigrant congregation - it's an FIEC church plant in an immigrant area. We used in in Southall & I still use it for house meetings..

I also like the good old Gospel hymns in Sankey - "Sacred Songs & Solos" & the "Redemption Hymnal" (avoiding the Pentecostal hymns.) Those are now for personal use.

• Members

Cranford Baptist Church - (morning service only)
"New Christian Hymns" - which has retained too much of the archaic words & set the tunes too high, also includes a few of the better modern CCM hymns - really they should not have bothered - but of course you have to keep bringing out a new hymn book if you want to maintain sales ... so I agree with Invicta for a different reason. I have to select tunes & change key.

Hounslow West Evangelical Church - evening - "Praise!" which begins with all 150 Psalms, modernised to remove the Scottish doggerel. It is a thoroughly modernised hymn book without archaic language. It would have been much more suitable for Cranford's immigrant congregation - it's an FIEC church plant in an immigrant area. We used in in Southall & I still use it for house meetings..

I also like the good old Gospel hymns in Sankey - "Sacred Songs & Solos" & the "Redemption Hymnal" (avoiding the Pentecostal hymns.) Those are now for personal use.

We have a good number of Redemption hymns in first class condition which we don't use. Someone ordered them many years ago in mistake for Redemption Songs.

One hymn that I like in Sankeys and also R H is "Come for the Feast is Spread." Although redemption misses out one verse. Edited by Invicta