• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Horses could soon be slaughtered for meat in US

• Moderators

Horse tastes alright, so does dog (I've had both, my wife has had monkey, one son has eaten bobcat). Why yuck? Cause it's pretty? Cause you've never had it? If you've ever raised chickens then you know it's hard to find a nastier animal, good eating though.

• Members

Many over the years have, and still do, eat horse meat. It just doesn't seem right to most Americans because horses have long been viewed only as domestic animals for work, transportation and fun.

The same is true of many other animals.

Now, if one looks to Asia, and China for example, they will eat almost anything and a lot of that stuff they even eat raw.

• Members

Horse, dogs and monkeys are more intelligent creatures that God has created. This is why it is more difficult to eat them. Same with dolphins, cats and parrots. We usually eat dumb animals. The exception would be the pig which is a highly intelligent animal. Also, what John said above is correct.

Anyway, I thought horses were already used in dog food.

• Members

Of course the French have always liked horse meat. They have horse butchers just as we used to have pork butchers.

We intend to go to France on Friday and if our ferry is on time hope to go to the market at Gravelines. In the past we have seen at least a dozen butcher's vans, many of them "boucheries chevalines". They also have burgers of horsemeat.

The first time we took our gaughters to France, my youngets was nearly 8. We went in to a restaurant and I asked her what she wanted for lunch. She replied "chips" I said "Don't you want anything else?" "No just chips." I then saw the menu and said. "They have horse on the menu, don't you want that?" "OK," she said, "Horse and chips." She is now 39 years old, and a long time vegetarian.

• Members

Of course the French have always liked horse meat. They have horse butchers just as we used to have pork butchers.

We intend to go to France on Friday and if our ferry is on time hope to go to the market at Gravelines. In the past we have seen at least a dozen butcher's vans, many of them "boucheries chevalines". They also have burgers of horsemeat.

The first time we took our gaughters to France, my youngets was nearly 8. We went in to a restaurant and I asked her what she wanted for lunch. She replied "chips" I said "Don't you want anything else?" "No just chips." I then saw the menu and said. "They have horse on the menu, don't you want that?" "OK," she said, "Horse and chips." She is now 39 years old, and a long time vegetarian.

:nuts: French food has made a lot of vegetarians! :coffee:

• Members

As long as there is beef, there is no danger of me becoming a vegetarian.

I would not eat horse neither, yet if someone else wants to, that is OK with me.

I do not understand vegetarians.

I couldn't be a vegetarian. If I don't have some kind of meat I'm going to still be hungry.

• Members

I've been trying not to serve meat at every meal lately, trying to go for using more cheese for our protein and just eat meat a few times per week. Well, when I can. But that's just because I'm starting to get skittish at all the hormones they have in our meat these days. Come to think of it, we probably eat meat more than we know...in soups and stuff like that. I like to make homemade potato soup when I can though (oops that has bacon!) and pasta with veggies at times. I guess its hard to get away from meat.

However hubby is out deer hunting this weekend and he did get a small deer yesterday! (Very small!) So that will be at least SOME hormone free, good meat!!!!

Interesting thought about the intelligence of animals being a reason we do not eat them...hm.

• Members

Pigs are generally rated higher on the intelligence scale than all but a very few animals yet they have been used as meat for centuries. For the most part, it would seem domestication to the point of considering certain animals as pets, "friends", or for some "members of the family", has more to do with what animals we see more as food and not.

We tend to see dogs, for example, as pets and draw close to them while in some other cultures dogs are seen as tools and food, or just food.

• Members

Me too,a meal without meat is not a meal.

Do people become vegetarian because they think its wrong to kill animals in order to have meat on the table? If so, them they do not believe God's whole Word.

My wife is a vegetarian because as a baby she couln't digest meat or fish, she was put on a vegetarian diet and has been ever since, over 70 years. My elder daughter has been a nany for various families and one family were vegan plus fish. (I can't work that one out either) She had to prepare their food and kept to their diet until she discovered that she was allergic to fish, it giving her headaches and rashes. She later found out that Lea & Perrins had the same effect as it has anchovies in it, so she now has a vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce. She went from that diet to eating steak, and has now married and her husband is vegetarian so she has turned vegetarian.

My younger daughter is vegetarian and if she comes down over the holiday, we will do a lentil and cheese ,a great favourite in our family vegetarians and carnivors alike, and always baked over the holiday. We got the recipe from a pre war vegetarian book.

My wife said she would never bring our daughters up to be vegetarian as it was so difficult when eating out, but they have both turned out to be vegetarians.