• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sin, Iniquity, Transgression of the Law, and Trespass

• Members

I have been talking with some others about this topic recently, and have tried studying it out some, but havent gotten as far as I would like. I thought I would post it here and see what everyone else thinks.

The four words I am looking for distinct definitions for are:
1 - Sin
2 - Iniquity
3 - Transgression (of the law)
4 - Trespass

Keep in mind, that I am not interested in definitions from a dictionary, or from someone's book. I am only interested in a definition that fits the scriptural usage of each word. The way you would "test" the definition is to go through the Bible and to see if every time it is used if it works.

For example,

1 - Eternal
2 - Everlasting

Some people would say that the words mean the same thing. BUT, in reality, they have very distinct differences.

Eternal is something that has no beginning and has no ending.
Everlasting is something that CAN have a beginning and has no ending.

A soul is "everlasting". It was created at some point, but then goes on in one direction forever. Those who trust Christ have "everlasting life" and those who do not have everlasting death. BUT, both the lost and saved have a soul that is "everlasting".

Man is not "eternal" though. Only God has no beginning and no ending. You can describe God as "everlasting" because anything that is eternal is ALSO everlasting, but the reverse is not true. Not everything that is everlasting is eternal.

In order to describe an eternal God with the word everlasting, Psalm 90 says "from everlasting to everlasting".

Pss.90
[2] Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

So from this point to forever in the PAST direction and from this point to forever in the FUTURE direction. From everlasting to everlasting is a way of describing an eternal God.

Some will say, "But we have ETERNAL life", so man is eternal as well. Not true.

John.10
[28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Notice that eternal life is GIVEN. That means it is in the form of a gift.

Rom.6
[23] For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Notice that eternal life is given THROUGH Jesus Christ.

1John.1
[2] (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)

And lastly, notice that eternal life IS Jesus Christ.

You receive eternal life by accepting Christ. He IS eternal life. If you HAVE Christ you HAVE eternal life. They are one and the same.

Okay, so now that everyone is hopefully on the same page. It would be great to see if anyone can distinctly define the words: sin, transgression of the law, iniquity, and trespass. I have not been very successful so far in my search, so hopefully you all will do better!

• Members

For example,

1 - Eternal
2 - Everlasting

Some people would say that the words mean the same thing. BUT, in reality, they have very distinct differences.

Eternal is something that has no beginning and has no ending.
Everlasting is something that CAN have a beginning and has no ending.

I am skeptical that there is a clear cut and consistent difference in how these words(or the ones your specifically asking about) are used biblically. There may be some slight difference but there is also a fair amount of overlap.

Here are a couple of examples that seem to disagree with your definition of "eternal" as only being something that has neither a beginning or ending.

"Isaiah 60:15 Whereas thou hast been forsaken and hated, so that no man went through thee, I will make thee an eternal excellency, a joy of many generations."

"2 Corinthians 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;"

"2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."

"Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."

Note that in Isaiah 60 eternal is used in a future tense, and in second Corinthians 4 suffering for Christ is said to produce "eternal" glory. In 2nd Corinthians 5 the future glorified bodies of believers are spoken of as "eternal" in the heavens. Then lastly in Jude 1:7 Sodom and Gomorrha are said to be suffering the "vengeance of eternal fire". We know that all of those things were created works that had a beginning, indeed only God himself is without either a beginning or an ending.

• Members

I am skeptical that there is a clear cut and consistent difference in how these words(or the ones your specifically asking about) are used biblically. There may be some slight difference but there is also a fair amount of overlap.

Here are a couple of examples that seem to disagree with your definition of "eternal" as only being something that has neither a beginning or ending.

"Isaiah 60:15 Whereas thou hast been forsaken and hated, so that no man went through thee, I will make thee an eternal excellency, a joy of many generations."

"2 Corinthians 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;"

"2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."

"Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."

Note that in Isaiah 60 eternal is used in a future tense, and in second Corinthians 4 suffering for Christ is said to produce "eternal" glory. In 2nd Corinthians 5 the future glorified bodies of believers are spoken of as "eternal" in the heavens. Then lastly in Jude 1:7 Sodom and Gomorrha are said to be suffering the "vengeance of eternal fire". We know that all of those things were created works that had a beginning, indeed only God himself is without either a beginning or an ending.

Good points Seth as usual. I think its only fair to see both sides of the argument. The word eternal appears 47 times in the Bible. Most of the time it is in reference to "eternal life", but below is a list of the other references it makes.

eternal God
eternal excellency
eternal life
eternal damnation
eternal power
eternal Godhead
eternal glory
things which are not seen are eternal
eternal building of God
eternal purpose
eternal salvation
eternal judgment
eternal redemption
eternal Spirit
eternal inheritance
eternal fire

Most of these are clearly attributes of God, and therefore must be without beginning or ending.

God himself
eternal God
eternal Spirit
eternal Godhead

Attributes of God
eternal excellency
eternal life
eternal damnation
eternal power
eternal glory
eternal purpose
eternal judgment
eternal fire

Attributes of God dealing with our Salvation
eternal inheritance
eternal salvation
eternal building of God

• Members

EXCELLENCY

In reference to the verses you listed:

Excellency is an attribute of God.

Pss.62

[1] Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.
[2] He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.
[3] How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering fence.
[4] They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah.
[5] My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.
[6] He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.
[7] In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

[8] Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
[9] Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.
[10] Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.
[11] God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.
[12] Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

In Psalm 62 many of God's attributes are shown.
POWER belongeth unto God.
God IS my salvation. IN God is my salvation. FROM HIM cometh my salvation. Salvation is FROM, IN, and IS GOD. It's all God from start to finish.
FROM HIS excellency. Excellency is another attribute of God.

• Members

GLORY & BUILDING OF GOD

2Cor.4
[16] For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
[17] For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
[18] While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

2Cor.5
[1] For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
[2] For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
[3] If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
[4] For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.

Glory belongs to God. He shares the riches of his glory with us who are saved.

Rom.9[23] And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
Eph.1[7] In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
Eph.2[7] That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
Eph.3[16] That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
Col.1[27] To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

We have an eternal weight of Glory in heaven. It is God's glory shared with us who are his redeemed sons.

As far as "...we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." It talks in the following verses about being "clothed" with this new house.

2Chr.6 [41] Now therefore arise, O LORD God, into thy resting place, thou, and the ark of thy strength: let thy priests, O LORD God, be clothed with salvation, and let thy saints rejoice in goodness.
Pss.132 [9] Let thy priests be clothed with righteousness; and let thy saints shout for joy.
Isa.61 [10] I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.
Rev.3 [5] He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Whose righteousness? Whose salvation? GOD's. If it is God's righteousness and salvation which we are clothed in, then it is eternal. God's righteousness and salvation never had a beginning nor does it have an ending. It is a part of who God is.

• Members

FIRE

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

God IS a consuming fire. It is one of his attributes. The flames of hell will literally be kindled by God's wrath. His wrath, fire, judgment, holiness, and damnation are eternal. The fire is eternal.

Deut.4
[24] For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

Heb.12
[29] For our God is a consuming fire.

Num.11
[1] And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp.

Deut.32
[22] For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.

2Sam.22
[7] In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried to my God: and he did hear my voice out of his temple, and my cry did enter into his ears.
[8] Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations of heaven moved and shook, because he was wroth.
[9] There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it.
[10] He bowed the heavens also, and came down; and darkness was under his feet.
[11] And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: and he was seen upon the wings of the wind.
[12] And he made darkness pavilions round about him, dark waters, and thick clouds of the skies.
[13] Through the brightness before him were coals of fire kindled.
[14] The LORD thundered from heaven, and the most High uttered his voice.
[15] And he sent out arrows, and scattered them; lightning, and discomfited them.
[16] And the channels of the sea appeared, the foundations of the world were discovered, at the rebuking of the LORD, at the blast of the breath of his nostrils.
[17] He sent from above, he took me; he drew me out of many waters;
[18] He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them that hated me: for they were too strong for me.

2Kgs.22
[17] Because they have forsaken me, and have burned incense unto other gods, that they might provoke me to anger with all the works of their hands; therefore my wrath shall be kindled against this place, and shall not be quenched.

• Members

It seems to me that your response is stretching things beyond what is reasonable in order to try to make your point of view work, but this is a minor enough issue it probably isn't really worth going back and forth about any further unless you want to.

I'd be up for discussing it further. I was wanting to focus on sin, iniquity, transgression, and trespass BUT this would be fun as well.

What parts do you feel are being "stretched"?

• Members

What parts do you feel are being "stretched"?

To start with if all of your responses are condensed into a single thought it seems that you are saying that all passages that use the word "eternal" are dealing with God in some way since your definition of the word leaves little room for it to be applied to anything else.

In your first response you say this: "Excellency is an attribute of God." I agree, but you seem to then take the logical leap that since excellency is an attribute of God, it is exclusively an attribute of God, not applicable to anything or anyone else. The remainder of your post seems to operate on that assumption. Also BTW it seems to me that even the verse using "excellency" that you quote, Psalms 62:4, is not applying that term directly to God. Rather it is applying the term to the godly man who is trusting in God. That is who the wicked are imagining mischief against and that is who they are trying to cast down from "excellency". If you still think that excellency is only a attribute of God here is a passage where it is being applied to those that were undoubtedly wicked.

"Isaiah 13:19 And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah."

Here glory, excellency, and beauty, all attributes of God, are being applied to babylon and the Chaldees. Now I suppose you could say that anything they had that was glorious, beautiful, or excellent came from God, and that would be technically true(James 1:17, Colossians 1:17, Mark 10:18 etc.), but if you take things that far you essentially render your definition of "everlasting" pointless since "eternal" could then be used under your definition of that word equally well in just about every case. Like I said though I think that is stretching things to much and overlooking the simplest and most plausible answer in order to arrive at the desired conclusion.

Your arguments about eternal glory, and eternal fire seems much the same. Your arguments seem to be based on the assumption that your definitions and distinctions between eternal and everlasting are true to begin with and that if something is an attribute of God it is automatically an exclusive attribute only applicable to him. As I said, in a sense you could argue that is true, in a sense all power, glory, majesty, honor, wisdom, love, goodness, beauty and so on are Gods and proceed from him, but in another sense those words are fit to describe mortal man as well, at least upon occasion. Edited by Seth-Doty