• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cooking for a small family

• Members

I have only one child, and I tell ya, it is hard to cook for a small family. Everything I have to cook, I have to cut the recipes in half or freeze all the leftovers. It is hard to freeze some food, though.

I did find this:

http://www.prevention.com/cda/channelpa ... on.recipes

It will let you change the serving size if you have to.

This is one of my favorite recipe for a breaksfast "dinner" for my son with egg allergies. I adjusted the serving size, and so you may not need a "Large" bowl as the recipe said:

1/2 c soy milk (I use regular milk)
1/4 c water
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c stone ground cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c fresh blueberries (I used frozen blueberries and let it thaw out some)
1 tbs vegetable oil

Preheat over to 200 degree F (preheat if you want to keep your pancakes warm while cooking, but this only serve a small family so you don't really need to do this). In a small bowl, combine the soy milk and water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking power, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the soy milk mixture just until combined. Fold in the blueberries and let the batter sit for 5 minutes. Lightly oil a skillet or griddle and heat over medium heat. Pour about 1/4 c of batter onto the hot griddle and cook until pancakes are bubbly on top and edges are slightly dry looking. Turn and cook until pancakes are browned. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining batter. Serve with warm syrup or jam.

serving - about 2 or 3 people.