• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What If Animals Could Talk? Or CAN They Already!

• Members

After having the repentance thread closed, I thought it would be good to start a more light-hearted thread on here dealing with a less personal topic. I think all pet owners at one point or another have wondered what their pets were thinking, and wished that they could talk. Are animals capable of thinking and talking though? Does the Bible have anything to say on the issue?! Let's find out.

Gen.3
[1] Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
[2] And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
[3] But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
[4] And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
[5] For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

In Genesis 3 we see the familiar story of the serpent coming to Eve and questioning God's Word. Satan is still questioning God's word today as well, but to stay on track let's look at a few things here.

1 - The serpent SPOKE
2 - In order to speak, the serpent had to be able to THINK
3 - Scripture does not record Eve being "alarmed" that a creature was talking to her.

Some might argue, well, that was a special instance where Satan possessed a serpent and used it to speak to Eve. That might be possible, but if animals did not talk, why wasn't Eve alarmed that a serpent was speaking with her? Are there any other examples of animals talking with humans in the Bible?

Num.22
[21] And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his ass, and went with the princes of Moab.
[22] And God's anger was kindled because he went: and the angel of the LORD stood in the way for an adversary against him. Now he was riding upon his ass, and his two servants were with him.
[23] And the ass saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and the ass turned aside out of the way, and went into the field: and Balaam smote the ass, to turn her into the way.
[24] But the angel of the LORD stood in a path of the vineyards, a wall being on this side, and a wall on that side.
[25] And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall: and he smote her again.
[26] And the angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left.
[27] And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with a staff.
[28] And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?
[29] And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.
[30] And the ass said unto Balaam, Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay.
[31] Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.
[32] And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:
[33] And the ass saw me, and turned from me these three times: unless she had turned from me, surely now also I had slain thee, and saved her alive.

In Numbers 22 we see a similar story to that of Genesis 3. A creature talking with a human. In this case an ass talks with Balaam.

1 - The ass could see the angel of the LORD, and had enough sense to not go forward. It was THINKING
2 - The ass spoke to Balaam
3 - Scripture does not record Balaam being shocked that the ass spoke to him, and spoke back to the ass as if it was perfectly normal.

There is a difference between the story in Genesis 3 and Numbers 22 though. In Genesis 3 there is no reference to the serpents "mouth" or "tongue" being loosed or opened. In Numbers 22, it says, "the LORD opened the mouth of the ass". The ass could see, and think before the LORD opened its mouth. But it could only talk to humans AFTER its mouth was opened.

The Bible records two similar stories in the New Testament. One is in Luke.

Luke.1
[13] But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
[14] And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
[15] For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
[16] And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.
[17] And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.
[18] And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years.
[19] And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings.
[20] And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.
[21] And the people waited for Zacharias, and marvelled that he tarried so long in the temple.
[22] And when he came out, he could not speak unto them: and they perceived that he had seen a vision in the temple: for he beckoned unto them, and remained speechless.

Skipping down to verse 62...

[62] And they made signs to his father, how he would have him called.
[63] And he asked for a writing table, and wrote, saying, His name is John. And they marvelled all.
[64] And his mouth was opened immediately, and his tongue loosed, and he spake, and praised God.

God opened the mouth of Zacharias just as he opened the mouth of the ass. Both were able to see and think while they were not able to speak. After their mouth's were opened, they were able to speak. In Luke 1, it also says "and his tongue loosed." In Mark 7 the scripture records the tongue of another man being "loosed".

Mark. 7

[32] And they bring unto him one that was deaf, and had an impediment in his speech; and they beseech him to put his hand upon him.
[33] And he took him aside from the multitude, and put his fingers into his ears, and he spit, and touched his tongue;
[34] And looking up to heaven, he sighed, and saith unto him, Ephphatha, that is, Be opened.
[35] And straightway his ears were opened, and the string of his tongue was loosed, and he spake plain.

In the book of Job, considered to be one of the oldest books of the Bible, God speaks to Job out of the whirlwind.

Job.41
[1] Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down?
[2] Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn?
[3] Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft words unto thee?
[4] Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever?

God asks if Leviathan (a dragon a.k.a. dinosaur) would make supplications, speak soft words, or make a covenant with Job. This would imply that Leviathan could think and talk.

In Luke the scripture records that a man was possessed of many devils.

Luke.8
[32] And there was there an herd of many swine feeding on the mountain: and they besought him that he would suffer them to enter into them. And he suffered them.
[33] Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the lake, and were choked.

It is interesting to note that devils can possess both MEN and ANIMALS. You never hear of a devil possessing a tree, rock, or some other lifeless creation. Animals can think and talk. These pigs are not recorded to have "said" anything after being possessed. Why? Perhaps because their mouths were still closed and their tongues were not loosed. God can open the mouth of the mute, but it does not record that devils can.

If animals could talk in the Garden of Eden, then why do animals have to have God "open their mouth" in order to talk now?

Gen.11
[1] And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
[2] And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
[3] And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.
[4] And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
[5] And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
[6] And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
[7] Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
[8] So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
[9] Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Perhaps before the tower of Babel, even the animals spoke the same speech as man. It does say the "whole earth" was of one language, and of one speech. After the tower of Babel, the speech of the animals was confounded just like the speech of man was confounded.

Perhaps one day after Jesus comes back and restores things to as they should be, animals will once again be able to talk with man!

This thread was just made as "food for thought". I hope those who read it, also enjoyed it.

Edited by KJV1611

• Members

What does the account of Zacharias have to do with whether animals talk or not?

I never knew a whirlwind was an animal either. Just what zoo can this 'whirlwind be found in? Is it reptilian? Amphibian? Pachyderm?

The Word of God has talking animals in it. More than the serpent, and the donkey. I'll let you do the research, but there are more.

• Members

What does the account of Zacharias have to do with whether animals talk or not?

I never knew a whirlwind was an animal either. Just what zoo can this 'whirlwind be found in? Is it reptilian? Amphibian? Pachyderm?

The Word of God has talking animals in it. More than the serpent, and the donkey. I'll let you do the research, but there are more.

Hey SF,

I said God spoke to Job out of the whirlwind. I never said an animal was a whirl wind.

Job.38:1
Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,

Job.40:6
Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said,

The account of Zacharias is interesting because when he could not speak, God opened his mouth just as he opened the mouth of the ass to allow him to speak in Numbers 22.

The ass and the serpent were the only two I could come up with off the top of my head. If there are more, I cannot think of them at the moment. I would like your thoughts on the other animals if you know of more. You have me curious now!

• Members

I preached a sermon years ago on When Animals Talked to Man. Don't have it recorded as I did not have the equipment to record at my Church.

But animals did talk in more than one way.

There were talking worms.
There was a talking rooster.
Solomon spoke of a gossiping bird.

Hey today, we can hear parrots talk. Ever hear of Einstein, the African Grey? He's on YouTube.
And then there's a talking dog that one can clearly hear saying "I want my Mama" LOL

• Members

I preached a sermon years ago on When Animals Talked to Man. Don't have it recorded as I did not have the equipment to record at my Church.

But animals did talk in more than one way.

There were talking worms.
There was a talking rooster.
Solomon spoke of a gossiping bird.

Hey today, we can hear parrots talk. Ever hear of Einstein, the African Grey? He's on YouTube.
And then there's a talking dog that one can clearly hear saying "I want my Mama" LOL

I've seen the dog on youtube. Pretty funny lol. I always wonder what my dog would say to me if it could talk.

• Administrators

That's the one I thought of Jerry.

I've always wondered if, before the fall of man, animals could communicate with humans. We know, as KJV pointed out, that the serpent spoke - but we also know that it was the devil in the form of a serpent. So, did the devil make him speak, or could they speak already??? I kinda think they could communicate with humans already, or Eve would have been too startled to reply. I think maybe the other animals could also communicate with Adam and Eve. But then when the fall came, and animal blood had to be shed, the lines of communication were cut off due to the curse. JMO, nothing specific in scripture to support it.

• Members

It is interesting the way Solomon phrased that verse. He did not name a specific bird. He only said that which has wings shall tell it.

Could it have been the Mockingbird, who repeats everything it hears?
Could it have been a parrot? a cockatiel?

Or is it possible Solomon did not name a specific species of bird because he knew in all of his wisdom that all birds were able to talk?

• Members

It is interesting the way Solomon phrased that verse. He did not name a specific bird. He only said that which has wings shall tell it.

Could it have been the Mockingbird, who repeats everything it hears?
Could it have been a parrot? a cockatiel?

Or is it possible Solomon did not name a specific species of bird because he knew in all of his wisdom that all birds were able to talk?

Looks like someone already beat me to the answer!

Thanks for sharing everyone. Good stuff.

• Members

I know exactly what my cat is saying. She makes a different miouw for asking for food, if she is saying she is going to jump on my lap, or is she is anbout to jump up whe she didn't ought, if I have opened the door to let her in and she thinks it about time. Yes h=she has a language that I (mostly) understand.

• Members

Perhaps Ec. 10:20 was a figure of speech, & its man spreading the lies.

I never gave much though to animals speaking, & have not heard anyone try to make anything out of it.

No doubt if God wants to use an animal, bird, or rock, or donkey to speak, He can. As for the devil its quite clear he had the power to put himself into the body of the serpent, & to speak though the serpent.