• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Disqualified - a different perspective

Questions about Christians disqualified for pastor and deacon.

First of all I’m speaking to those of us who are saved. Would it please the Lord to know, that even though you are not “blameless,” you’re striving to fulfill the requirements going forward?

What is a pastor or a deacon; are they teachers, evangelists, shepherds, spiritual leaders, examples, helpers, assistants? Yes and some more and some less.

The office of a pastor or a deacon is well established in the New Testament (Acts 1:15-26 and Acts 6:1-5). The requirements for a pastor (bishop) or a deacon are clearly identified in scripture (1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1:6-9).

Are you disqualified from holding these offices within your church? If you answer the question yes then, why can’t you strive to exhibit these traits in/from your heart; more importantly why wouldn’t you want to?

Hmmm...let me see if I can penetrate further into my mind...

There are Biblical qualifications for anyone who would be a pastor (bishop) or a deacon. If you did not meet those qualifications you would be disqualified from being a pastor or a deacon.

1. Would it please the Lord to know, that even though you are not “blameless,” you’re striving to fulfill the requirements going forward?
(New attempt...Knowing your disqualified would God be pleased if you sought to live like a man who was qualified?)

2. Are you disqualified from holding these offices within your church?
(New attempt...Have you fallen short in one of the qualifications of bishop or deacon given in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1:6-9?)

3. Why can’t you strive to exhibit these traits in/from your heart; more importantly why wouldn’t you want to?
(New attempt...Why wouldn't you emulate the men described in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1:6-9 by your actions now and in the future.)

Maybe someone else can help make me understood if its still not clear.

• Members

Certainly even if we don't qualify for the position of pastor it would be good to seek to live according to the qualifications. We are each called to pursue personal holiness, putting off our old man and putting on the Lord Jesus Christ. God calls us to perfection, which we can't achieve in this life, but He does expect us to ever be heading in that direction.

I have a rebellious son who rejects following Christ because he wants the pleasures of the world. For this reason I would not be qualified to be pastor. That doesn't mean that I no longer strive to live for Christ. In all things I endeavor to grow in the Lord and serve where He leads me. While I can't be a pastor, I am serving on our churches Board of Christian Education. The Lord has a place for each of us and for each of us He expects us to become more like Christ and less like our old selves.

I'm part of a nominating committee for several positions within my church (including deacons, trustees, and a clerk) so of course I'm deeply concerned to receive and pass on qualified members. The discussions earlier this year concerning deacon and pastor will be a great help for this. I don't believe we left one scripture regarding leadership in the church un-turned.

Sometimes we don't see how God uses the discussions here at OB (Isaiah 55:11 ); I didn't know I would be on this committee back then.

John, depending on the age of your son, I don't know that I could disqualify you. Although our prayers (per your request) accompany him, he is now responsible for a saving relationship with Christ. So, if that is holding you back from this service in the future you may want to talk to your pastor and deacons...

Acts 6:3 Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.

• Members

I have a rebellious son who rejects following Christ because he wants the pleasures of the world. For this reason I would not be qualified to be pastor. That doesn't mean that I no longer strive to live for Christ. In all things I endeavor to grow in the Lord and serve where He leads me. While I can't be a pastor, I am serving on our churches Board of Christian Education. The Lord has a place for each of us and for each of us He expects us to become more like Christ and less like our old selves.

I don't know if I quite agree with this. If the son is old enough to make his own choice regarding Jesus and salvation then he is old enough for you to no longer be responsible for his actions and any disciplinary action on your part would be fruitless and futile. However, the question is: how old is old enough. I think that would be the individuals choice. Personally, I feel there is no clear biblical directive that would stop you in this case from pastoring a church and that there are far too few IFB pastors out there for you not to. I was studying for my BA of divinity and quit because I knew I could not live up to the high stds required in 1 Tim and Titus. Maybe later with some more maturity I might continue, but strongly believe that any Pastor that does something to disqualify himself or brings the reputation of the office of pastor into disrepute once in the office of Pastor must not continue in that office.
This does not mean he can no longer serve the church in any other capacity, but that would be up to the church and the leaders of the church.

• Members

I don't know if I quite agree with this. If the son is old enough to make his own choice regarding Jesus and salvation then he is old enough for you to no longer be responsible for his actions and any disciplinary action on your part would be fruitless and futile. However, the question is: how old is old enough. I think that would be the individuals choice. Personally, I feel there is no clear biblical directive that would stop you in this case from pastoring a church and that there are far too few IFB pastors out there for you not to. I was studying for my BA of divinity and quit because I knew I could not live up to the high stds required in 1 Tim and Titus. Maybe later with some more maturity I might continue, but strongly believe that any Pastor that does something to disqualify himself or brings the reputation of the office of pastor into disrepute once in the office of Pastor must not continue in that office.
This does not mean he can no longer serve the church in any other capacity, but that would be up to the church and the leaders of the church.

Our rebellious son just turned 18 and moved out last week so you may be right. That said, I'm not called to pastor so I won't be looking for that. I'm currently on one of our church boards, active in other ways and open to what the Lord might have in store for me in the future.

• Members

Sorry about your boy, John.

Thank you. I've found out more about what he's up to since he took off to Florida. He told us he's been looking for a job but then last night he called and said he's not even put an application in anywhere. He said he's going to do right but I noticed online today he's hooking up online with some real trouble makers he had got in trouble with before.

I hope and pray he doesn't get involved in anything illegal and end up in jail and/or prison.

This child could almost be used as a model for the idea of double predestination (or whatever they call it)! He's been rebellious, self-willed, unconcerned about what's right, unconcerned about others, always interested in what's wrong/evil since he was at least 2. I have no idea why he's like this, why he never grew out of any of it, why our consistent Christian training, teaching and exampling seemed to have very little or no effect or how he can be so well versed in Scripture, understand right and wrong so well, even believe what the Bible says about the sure destination of those who are not born again in Christ, and yet choose wickedness and the world over Christ.

Sorry to ramble and go off topic.

John, I was suggesting the position of a deacon because that's what I'm soliciting nominations for at my church.

What about in our own homes? Should a man fulfill this office within his home for his own family? Are we the spiritual leader in our home? Are we the bishop of our own family?

If a man can fulfill this ministry in his home, must he also fulfill the requirements outlined in scripture?

• Members

Thank you. I've found out more about what he's up to since he took off to Florida. He told us he's been looking for a job but then last night he called and said he's not even put an application in anywhere. He said he's going to do right but I noticed online today he's hooking up online with some real trouble makers he had got in trouble with before.

I hope and pray he doesn't get involved in anything illegal and end up in jail and/or prison.

This child could almost be used as a model for the idea of double predestination (or whatever they call it)! He's been rebellious, self-willed, unconcerned about what's right, unconcerned about others, always interested in what's wrong/evil since he was at least 2. I have no idea why he's like this, why he never grew out of any of it, why our consistent Christian training, teaching and exampling seemed to have very little or no effect or how he can be so well versed in Scripture, understand right and wrong so well, even believe what the Bible says about the sure destination of those who are not born again in Christ, and yet choose wickedness and the world over Christ.

Sorry to ramble and go off topic.

John, to put you at ease a bit. I was saved at a young age, grew up with a mother who was and still is a staunch believer, something happened and in my teens I went bad. You think your child is bad, well if you take every movie of a bad child and combine them you'll get me as a teen, My mom used to pray that the Lord would take care of me and keep me safe, etc, then she started praying: Lord, do as you will, even if you must take him home! It was only in my late 20's that I turned back on my knees. In my experience, rebellious children that have a foundation of love and sound christian principles almost ALWAYS turn back to God at some point in there lives and there rebellion is usually based on anger and nothing you do or say will change there outlook on the situation - they need to come to a point where they realize how stupid they are.

Just keep on praying and hold fast to the author of your faith. We all have had someone somewhere praying for us and I believe God always answers prayers that are in accordance with His will and I KNOW that salvation is first and foremost part of his will for all of us.

• Members

As long as he's alive, there is hope. The thing is, he can't "go back to God" because he was never walking with Him to begin with. He was rebellious at age 2 and continued in such to this day, only getting worse. He has specifically rejected Christ in favor of the "pleasures of this world" at least four times in the past few years. I hope he doesn't need a pig pen experience (Prodigal son), or worse, to get him to see the light, but if that's what it takes I pray the Lord does what's necessary in his life to bring him to Christ.

John, I was suggesting the position of a deacon because that's what I'm soliciting nominations for at my church.

What about in our own homes? Should a man fulfill this office within his home for his own family? Are we the spiritual leader in our home? Are we the bishop of our own family?

If a man can fulfill this ministry in his home, must he also fulfill the requirements outlined in scripture?

Hmmm... no thoughts on this aspect?