• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Electronic devices in church

• Members

This is for everyone's input.

My wife is on another board and the topic of electronic devices in church came up. I gave her my opinion and what I think that our pastor (where we just moved from) would probably say, as well as other pastors that I've heard at conferences, etc. Some of the women on her board were making comments about their personal use of an electronic device in church (replacing their printed Bible for one on their iPad, iPhone, Android, Kindle, et al). A couple of them mentioned that their pastor uses an electronic-based Bible during their services instead of a printed Bible!! :eek Another reply stated that they use an electronic device when witnessing, door-knocking, etc.

What do you think? Should a pastor be preaching from an electronic Bible? Should those in attendance be using an electronic Bible while in church (I personally would think that a member could easily be swayed/distracted to do other things on his/her device other than using the Bible and/or listening to the message....am I wrong to think this?). IMHO, electronic devices have their place, I personally am not sure that it is in church.

As for me, "give me the old Black Book." (when I'm in church).

• Members

At one time (about 8 years ago) I purchased a Franklin Electronic Bible (KJV) to take with me when I visited my son and his family in Calif. They were going to one of those "Purpose Driven" churches in Santa Monica where they used a bible of every translation displayed on an overhead. Electronic bibles are ok if they are not used on an everyday basis. I prefer the old Black (mine is burgundy) Book when in church also. For a pastor to use an electronic bible to preach from in church is kind of "cheesy", IMO.

I haven't used that Franklin Bible for years....the batteries are probably dead as a doornail too. Even after cataract surgery, I probably would have a hard time reading the tiny display screen. My husband is legally blind and has a 24-point super giant print KJV Bible that he purchased from a company that publishes Braille Bibles. The print is so large that this Bible comes in 3 volumes...weighs 9 pounds. It is red letter, but has no concordance or cross-references. It is just simply the text of the King James Bible.

• Moderators

Sometimes I'll pull out my iPhone to check the Strong's or to look up something on Scourby that I can't find in the cross-references. But I prefer not to use or see electronic Bibles used in church. There's nothing wrong with it, per se - it's just distracting! As in, I wonder if they're texting or reading their Bible. It's even worse when people are taking notes on their phones...

There's just something to be said for having actual printed material in front of you.

• Members

I agree with what's been said here already. Also, like Seth said, it's likely at some point electrical devices will become the new normal. However, for now it's too much of a distraction, a temptation, and it would seem kinda cheesy to see a pastor using such to preach from.

• Members

I wonder if there was a time that it was distracting to hear all those pages turning by those in the congregation? I wonder if it was considered "cheesy" for the preacher to carry a complete Bible in book form rather than a scroll of the book he was going to read from. Was it considered a temptation to go about your own personal Bible study rather than listening to the sermon if you carry your own Bible. There was a time most people could not afford a complete Bible.

• Members

I wonder if there was a time that it was distracting to hear all those pages turning by those in the congregation? I wonder if it was considered "cheesy" for the preacher to carry a complete Bible in book form rather than a scroll of the book he was going to read from. Was it considered a temptation to go about your own personal Bible study rather than listening to the sermon if you carry your own Bible. There was a time most people could not afford a complete Bible.

Yes to the last, no to the rest. :icon_smile:

• Members

What it amounts to is we ought to be sure we do nothing to distract anyone during preaching services, after all we are grown ups, & should act like grown ups, should even be Christ like, being considerate of others. You never know, if you cause a distraction for someone, whether its thumbing though your Bible or with a electronic devise, you may hinder a soul from being saved.

I've known several during my 65 years that never thinks of the other person, only self, & where ever they go, even during preaching services they will cause a disturbance, for they can't stand not being the center of attention, & its all about them & they do not care if they disturb others.

• Members

There's no replacement for holding a book in your hand. You get to know the pages, become intimately familiar with the words and where they are placed on the pages for future reference. An we haven't even spoken of marginal notes! The electronic devices are impersonal, they break, and will be/are distractions to the owner and those around them.

My unofficial observation after watching members use them is that they have become slack and or backslidden.

• Members

That is a fact. I had a Franklin Holy Bible given to me in the early 2000's, never used it. I did mess around with it when I 1st got it. Prior to being called to this church they had a member that had one & used it much at church. They said he was always fooling with his electronic Bible disturbing those around him.

Which I use a computer Bible here at home, to me its much easiest to read, & of course when searching for something there is no comparison, & putting together an outline is much easier on a computer.

The Bible I take to church I am very familiar with it for I have used it for several years.

• 3 months later...