• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance - Biblical Viewpoint

• Members

Jack Schaap really has you programmed well doesn't he?

He has you so blinded to the truth it is sad.

You said earlier that one is not saved by saving a prayer. Yet the Word of God says "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved". So it is more than just believing. it is also calling on the Lord. With the mouth confession is made UNTO Salvation.

But it is even more than just believing and calling. It also requires man to be repentant of sin. God's Word says if we regard iniquity in our hearts the Lord WILL NOT HEAR us. So, one can believe, one can call, but if one regards sin in one's heart, is not willing to turn from his sinful lifestyle, that one cannot be saved.

And that is all found in the Word of God

• Members

You are LOST.

I do not say that in a derogatory sense, or in a mean manner. I say it honestly and earnestly. You ARE LOST.

You said "it tells people all you have to do is believe and you're saved". That's right, all you have to do is BELIEVE. It is FAITH without WORKS. Anything OTHER than BELIEVING would be works and not faith.

Verse after verse says believe, believe, believe, believe and faith, faith, faith. Yet you come here and say it's not just faith or believing. It's something else? Well anything else would be WORKS.

You said "Adulterers will not make it in whether they believe in Christ or not" David was an adulterer yet he made it in.

I'll tell you who will NOT make it into heaven. Anyone that believes that salvation is anything other than FAITH IN CHRIST. You believe it's part works and part faith and you will split hell wide open when you die. To say that anything other than faith in Christ is necessary is to downplay the blood of Christ which was shed for all those who BELIEVE. Not for those who live a good life, do good works, or anything else. But for those that BELIEVE.

Who gives you the authority to proclaim that someone is lost because that person doesn't agree with your unbiblical "believe on Christ and you're saved no matter how you live" teaching? I guess you will also proclaim I'm lost because I agree with SFIC...right?

As I look over what and where you have posted, I see that this thread is the only thread you have posted in. If that isn't an agenda, I don't know what is. You started this thread in the INTRO section...where people "introduce" themselves and tell us a little about themselves. But instead of introducing yourself, you "introduced" your unbiblical teaching. You eventually "introduced" yourself only after you were told by a moderator to do so. The thread eventually got moved to Biblical Issues, where it belonged in the first place. To how many more Christian boards have you "introduced" this unbiblical teaching? Edited by LindaR

• Members

The message you are presenting is straight out of the pit of hell. It tells people all you have to do is believe and you're saves.

Actually, that's straight out of the Bible. Repentance prepares a person to have the faith to trust Christ, but its the faith that saved.

Where is the repentance in these verses?

Romans 10:8-13, “But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9) That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10) For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11) For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
12) For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13) For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

Gal 3:1-3, “O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
2) This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3) Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?”

Eph. 2:8-9, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9) Not of works, lest any man should boast.”

Romans 3:22, “Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
28) Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.”

Romans 5:1-2, “Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:”
2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.”

~~

In your list of people who aren't allowed to go to Heaven you forgot to mention liars and covetous, they were in the passage you quoted.

Have you ever lied since you were saved, SFIC? What does that make you? What if you died two seconds after you lied? Do you think that no Christian ever committed any of the sins listed in your passage and died in a condition of rebellion to God?

Have you ever been covetous since you were saved, SFIC?

You said that David didn't count because he got right. But you keep dodging the important question: what if he died before he got right? Do you seriously think that every Christian who ever dies does it in a state to where they are completely right with God? To where they are no a liar or covetous? How does Demas fits with your theology?

Look, I don't believe a person will trust Christ without a change happening in his life. I believe a person must know he's a sinner and have a desire to be clean before he will genuinely trust Christ. But what you are teaching sounds way too much like works salvation.

I will answer any question you throw at me on this subject but please answer mine. Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

I am wondering why Jesus even had to die on the cross if it is true that the saved person can continue in sin as some would have us to believe?

I made a profession of faith in prison nearly 32 years ago. The reason I made that profession of faith was because I was made to know that I was a filthy sinner in the eyes of God and that because of my sins, I was on my way to hell. I was sorry for my sins and poured my heart out to God, and though I was behind steel bars and stone walls, I was set free that day.

And now I am told that I can continue in sin and still be guaranteed eternal life in Christ? I can go out today and commit adultery, continue every day for the next 1o, 20, 30 years, or until the Lord returns and still be guaranteed eternal life in Christ because I made a profession of faith nearly 32 years ago?

Amazing. Some people have their eyes on another Christ than I do apparently.

• Members

The way I understand it, the word "repent", as used in the Bible, basically means "to turn against." The problem with most people is we are so full of pride, we cannot bring ourselves to "turn against" our way, our opinion, our SELF. Because when a sinner genuinely REPENTS,he, in effect, fully acknowledges that God is RIGHT and and he is wrong. That's what's so hard for us to do; admit we're wrong.

• Members

The way I understand it, the word "repent", as used in the Bible, basically means "to turn against." The problem with most people is we are so full of pride, we cannot bring ourselves to "turn against" our way, our opinion, our SELF. Because when a sinner genuinely REPENTS,he, in effect, fully acknowledges that God is RIGHT and and he is wrong. That's what's so hard for us to do; admit we're wrong.

Big amen, brother!

• Members

So, all I had to do was Believe? I could have continued in sin and still would have been saved.

If I am to believe that doctrine, then I have to believe the Apostle Paul to be a liar. He said

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Old things passed away. And yet they aren't because that one can still have the desire to sin since he didn't have to repent of it to be saved.

Something is wrong with this 'repentance from sin is not necessary' gospel... seriously wrong.

• Members

So, all I had to do was Believe? I could have continued in sin and still would have been saved.

If I am to believe that doctrine, then I have to believe the Apostle Paul to be a liar. He said

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Old things passed away. And yet they aren't because that one can still have the desire to sin since he didn't have to repent of it to be saved.

Something is wrong with this 'repentance from sin is not necessary' gospel... seriously wrong.

You believe in faith PLUS WORKS. Therefore you do NOT believe. You cannot believe Jesus is the Saviour and believe that you have ANY part in that salvation. God does all the saving all by himself. The catholics say they believe in Jesus, but they do not because they trust Jesus PLUS baptism, communion, good works, etc to get them to heaven. A person that BELIEVES must believe He is the one and ONLY Saviour. He is THE way, not one of the ways. It's ALL Christ, no works, no turning from sins, not living right. ALL Christ. We accept the FREE GIFT through FAITH. Not through faith plus works.

• Members

Sorry, Rick. If one is not repentant, their faith is dead. God hears not our prayers if we regard iniquity in our hearts. That's straight out of the Bible.

Sure faith saves, but if one is not repentant of sin, faith will not save because God does not honor that faith.

Nothing you said in the above quote contradicts what I said in my previous post. I agree entirely.

I am wondering why Jesus even had to die on the cross if it is true that the saved person can continue in sin as some would have us to believe?

I made a profession of faith in prison nearly 32 years ago. The reason I made that profession of faith was because I was made to know that I was a filthy sinner in the eyes of God and that because of my sins, I was on my way to hell. I was sorry for my sins and poured my heart out to God, and though I was behind steel bars and stone walls, I was set free that day.

And now I am told that I can continue in sin and still be guaranteed eternal life in Christ? I can go out today and commit adultery, continue every day for the next 1o, 20, 30 years, or until the Lord returns and still be guaranteed eternal life in Christ because I made a profession of faith nearly 32 years ago?

In this hypothetical scenario (you becoming a habitual adulterer after salvation) you just described someone losing his salvation. Can a person lose his salvation or not, brother? You keep focusing on extreme situations but keep ignoring the Christian that is a liar. Please answer my questions in post #258, ignoring them is a sign of a bad argument.

God may kill you, cripple you, remove all your eternal rewards, make you sick, burn your house down, kill your children, hound you, and make life generally miserable for you but He will not send you to Hell because your salvation is based entirely upon what Christ did for you on Calvary.

You can't earn it before you trust Christ and you can't earn it afterwards.

• Members

Who gives you the authority to proclaim that someone is lost because that person doesn't agree with your unbiblical "believe on Christ and you're saved no matter how you live" teaching? I guess you will also proclaim I'm lost because I agree with SFIC...right?

As I look over what and where you have posted, I see that this thread is the only thread you have posted in. If that isn't an agenda, I don't know what is. You started this thread in the INTRO section...where people "introduce" themselves and tell us a little about themselves. But instead of introducing yourself, you "introduced" your unbiblical teaching. You eventually "introduced" yourself only after you were told by a moderator to do so. The thread eventually got moved to Biblical Issues, where it belonged in the first place. To how many more Christian boards have you "introduced" this unbiblical teaching?

Who gives YOU and YOUR CURRENT HUSBAND the right to say that your late husband was lost because he didnt believe in faith plus works? If he truly BELIEVED, then he is TRULY SAVED. For that matter, your current husband has told me I'm lost more than once in this thread because I do not hold to his humanistic philosophies of faith plus works for salvation.

And Linda, if you read the beginning of this thread like you claimed to, then you would see that I explained that it would not allow me to post this under a different section of the forum because I was a new member and so I posted this here. AND I stated from POST 1 that I did have an agenda, and it was to clear up the confusion surrounding the issue of repentance. I have been completely honest with my intentions from POST ONE.

• Members

I understand where you are coming from. What is the point you ask. A man may rape and murder and be saved. Once saved, is he any less guilty of rape and murder? What if after he is saved he murders and rapes again, just once? Not for 10yrs, 20 or even 30yrs - just once and he "repents" - is he any less guilty? The answer is no. He is guilty of rape and murder. Now which is worse - being a drunkard for 30 yrs, or killing and raping only once after being saved. The answer is neither. In the eyes of God they are the same. If I sleep around behind my wife's back for 40 yrs and another man sexually abuses his own child and both of us are unsaved, in the eyes of the world I am normal, yet the other is evil even in today's sick standards. Yet if both of us are saved and do this, we are both equally guilty in God's eyes. Whether you are a liar, a thief, a murderer, a cheat it is all the same to God. So how can a saved person who is eternally saved go to hell if he sins? He can't. All sin is the same to God, that is why He says He will remember them no more. Once saved, God does not "see" your sin, He sees the Blood of Christ that covers you. So I must ask: do you believe in eternal salvation?

You say you were in prison. You committed a crime and payed the time required. If you go and commit the crime again you will have to serve the time again if caught - that is the way of the worlds law. Yet you see salvation the same way. You lived a life of sin. You repented or paid the price, so you repented. God was merciful. Now if you live the same sin again you must repent in order not to have to pay the price again. That is WORKS, not GRACE.

Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Heb 10:11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
Heb 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
Heb 10:13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
Heb 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
Heb 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

• Members

You and 2Tim215 make God a liar, KJV.

God's Word says a drunkard will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Yet you say that one can die a drunkard and is saved.

You preach a lie straight from the pits of hell.

You may call me a liar, but in almost every post I have quoted scripture whilst you have quoted almost nothing. The scripture says it, you won't believe it - so YOU are calling God a liar, not me.

• Members

First off, I did not repent of the crime I was imprisoned for. I repented of my sin. I turned my back on sin that I was guilty of.

Why did I not repent of the crime I was imprisoned for, you may ask? Because while imprisoned for the crime, I did not commit the crime. I was falsely arrested and imprisoned.

When God convicts of sin, as He convicted me that day in my prison block, He caused me to repent of my sin, to turn away from it. He took away the desire to commit those sins again. That is what conviction brings... godly sorrow for sin and repentance from sin.

If one does not repent of sin, that one will not be heard by God even if he repents with bitter tears. That one will remain lost because he regards sin in his heart and refuses to turn from it.