• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance - Biblical Viewpoint

• Members

Okay, so I'm too lazy to go back and read eleven pages of debate... are people around here actually trying to say that if a person backslides that means he was never saved to begin with? :tapping: You have to be kidding me!!!

NO! You need to go back and read those 11 pages of debate. When a saved person backslides it doesn't mean that they were never saved. What is being taught here is this: The only thing a sinner has to do is BELIEVE and they are saved no matter how they live afterwards....you can even continue living in your same old sinful lifestyle and you will still go to heaven. Scriptures says God forbid!

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Romans 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

IMO, this is a dangerous teaching ...giving the lost a false assurance.

NOBODY on this board is teaching sinless perfectionism...Repentance (turning from sin and turning to God in saving faith is NOT giving up every single sin you have ever commited in your entire lifetime...that's an impossibility and nobody can do that. It is a turning from your rebellion (sin) against God...it is a change of heart that results in a change of life. Edited by LindaR

• Members

And God sent the prophet Nathan to convict him, did He not? Ummm, I already mentioned that; are you not reading what we post? And when God sent Nathan, did David dismiss Nathan and tell hem to "Butt out?" NO, David repented of his sin of adultery. Yes, he did what the Word of God says to do.

KJV has made claim that it is not God's will for us to turn from sin. When one continues to twist others' words and be untruthful as you are doing, that itself is an example of "holding onto sin" He is wrong. And if you believe as he does, you are wrong as well.

• Members

NO! You need to go back and read those 11 pages of debate. When a saved person backslides it doesn't mean that they were never saved. What is being taught here is this: The only thing a sinner has to do is BELIEVE and they are saved no matter how they live afterwards....you can even continue living in your same old sinful lifestyle and you will still go to heaven. IMO, this is a dangerous...giving the lost a false assurance.

No one ever said that a person can live in sin INDEFINITELY without CONSEQUENCES - but we did state that to be saved one need not repent of ones sins before hand in order to be saved. Also, that no one has the right to call someone unsaved if there is no fruit in there live at a particular moment.

But I see now that for you it is OKAY to BACKSLIDE.

I must ask - In your Book Of Opinions - how long can a person "backslide" before they can be regarded as unsaved? Is backsliding regarded as less sin than normal sin?

• Members

If one is not sorry for sin, he can say he believes in the Lord, he can even somehow get a position preaching in the Church, but he profession of belief in Christ was dead.

If one makes a profession of faith in Christ, yet continues in sin with no conviction, that profession was in vain.

The one who is sorry for sin is repentant. That one, God will hear.

• Members

I think to sort this out we need to start asking very specific questions:

1. Do Christians sin?

2. Are there sins that a Christian lacks the ability to commit?

3. Can a Christian lose his salvation?

4. Is repentance part of salvation? If so, how does it play a part and what does a person have to repent of?

5. If a person backslides does that mean they were never saved?

6. Under what specific conditions can one Christian authoritatively claim that another person was never saved to begin with?

7. Is there anything better on Earth than a peperoni lovers pan style pizza from Pizza Hut?

• Members

1. Do Christians sin?
The Word of God reveals that we do. The question is, does a Christian live a life of sin; i.e., continue in sin? The answer to that would be no.

2. Are there sins that a Christian lacks the ability to commit?
A Christians cannot commit the unpardonable sin. A Christian cannot blaspheme the the Holy Ghost.

3. Can a Christian lose his salvation?
Never.

4. Is repentance part of salvation? If so, how does it play a part and what does a person have to repent of?
Repentance is a part of Salvation. An important part. Had not the jailer been repentant, he would never had been given a heart of belief.

5. If a person backslides does that mean they were never saved?
No, but if they continue in sin it is a good indication that they never were.

6. Under what specific conditions can one Christian authoritatively claim that another person was never saved to begin with?

Both John and Jesus tell us that we can know those who are of God. Even Paul knew some were saved other than himself. "Timotheus, my son in the faith." We can know who is saved and who isn't according to the Word of God.

7. Is there anything better on Earth than a peperoni lovers pan style pizza from Pizza Hut?
Some would say the Supreme Meat Lover's Pizza is far better.

• Members

1. Do Christians sin? Not spiritually, but physically, yes

2. Are there sins that a Christian lacks the ability to commit? Not as far as I know, would like your answer.

3. Can a Christian lose his salvation? No

4. Is repentance part of salvation? If so, how does it play a part and what does a person have to repent of? No, unless one means one turns from unbelief to believing in God and the once off sacrificial atonement of Christ on the cross

5. If a person backslides does that mean they were never saved? No

6. Under what specific conditions can one Christian authoritatively claim that another person was never saved to begin with? None that I know of. If you have scripture for this I would like to see it so I can go and study it.

7. Is there anything better on Earth than a peperoni lovers pan style pizza from Pizza Hut? Yes, a South African Pootjie
Edited by 2Tim215

• Members

No one ever said that a person can live in sin INDEFINITELY without CONSEQUENCES - but we did state that to be saved one need not repent of ones sins before hand in order to be saved. Also, that no one has the right to call someone unsaved if there is no fruit in there live at a particular moment.

Then how come you say that one can "live as he pleases" AFTER salvation when Scripture contradicts you? Repenting (or turning from) one sin is NOT becoming sinlessly perfect IN ORDER TO be saved! If this is what you believe "turning from sin" means, then you are incorrect and if this is what you believe we are teaching, then you are twisting our words and bearing false witness. I keep saying this and it's becoming redundant: GOD GIVES REPENTANCE!
But I see now that for you it is OKAY to BACKSLIDE.

Again, you twist my words. I am not advocating that it is okay to backslide, but that it does happen and when it does, God will chastise the backslider (Hebrews 12:6-13). However, this is NOT a license to sin.
I must ask - In your Book Of Opinions - how long can a person "backslide" before they can be regarded as unsaved? Is backsliding regarded as less sin than normal sin?

Will wonders never cease....there you go again twisting my words. I know no such book of opinions...where did you find your copy? You seem to quote from it quite a bit.

What is backsliding? (1) It is turning away from God in one's heart and loving forbidden things (Proverbs 14:14; 1 Kings 11:9). (2) It is leaving one's first love for Christ (Revelation 2:4). (3) It is failing to walk in the light in fellowship with God (1 John 1:5-9).

The seven downward steps of backsliding. No one backslides suddenly. It is true that we may be shocked by the sudden outward manifestation of terrible sin, but the truth is that many little things have entered in and undermined the life. The story of Lot's backsliding illustrates the seven downward steps. (1) Covetousness (Genesis 13:10). Many a man has made the mistake of fixing his eyes on the wrong objects. (2) Choosing too low (Genesis 13:11; 19:17). Lot chose the plain instead of the mountain. Christians are to aim high-at heavenly things (Colossians 3:1-3), at the most excellent things (Philippians 1:9-10). Christians injure their spiritual lives when they choose less than God's perfect will in areas of friendship, entertainment, literature, occupation, etc. (3) Compromise (Genesis 13:12-13). Lot pitched his tent toward wicked Sodom. Christians are to flee youthful lusts (2 Timothy 2:22), avoid all appearance of evil (1Thessalonians 5:22), have no fellowship with evil works (Ephesians 5:11). (4) Captured by the enemy (Genesis 14:11-12). Those who do not have on the whole armor of God will be captured by the enemy, who is walking about seeking whom he may devour (Ephesians 6:10-19; 1 Peter 5:8). (5) Carnal (Genesis 19:1,16). Lot loved Sodom and its excitement. He was a saved men, and his heart was grieved at the gross wickedness (2 Peter 2:7); but still he loved Sodom. Lot had no powerful testimony because he lived primarily for the things of the world (Genesis 19:14). Many Christians love the evil things of this world that God hates and is going to judge (1John 2:15-17; James 4:4). (6) Spiritual weakness (Genesis 19:8). Lot was willing to give his daughters into sin. Because of his backsliding, he had no spiritual power. (7) Carousing (Genesis 19:33-38). Here we find Lot drinking wine and committing immorality. His first wrong choices led him deeper and deeper into sin and farther and farther from God's fellowship.

The remedy for backsliding. Revelation 2:4-5 - Return, repent, confess, renounce, and perform the first works. (Study form 100 Bible Lessons by Dr. James E. Smith)

• Members

Are you saying that your brother had faith in Christ but died and went to Hell?

No...that's not what he is saying. His brother had NO faith in Christ...He believed (had knowledge of Christ), but never trusted Christ in saving faith.

• Members

Are you saying that your brother had faith in Christ but died and went to Hell?
NO, I am saying my brother believed in Christ, yet died lost. My brother knew the Bible. He would excuse his drinking by agreeing with the lie that Jesus made an alcoholic wine and drank alcoholic wine.

My brother died of complications due to his lifestyle of drinking. He would have loved this message being presented today of believing in Christ but not turning from sin and you are still saved.

But my Bible tells me no drunkard will inherit the kingdom of heaven. Not sure how so many miss the fact that God abhors sin, but apparently many do.

• Members

NO, I am saying my brother believed in Christ, yet died lost. My brother knew the Bible. He would excuse his drinking by agreeing with the lie that Jesus made an alcoholic wine and drank alcoholic wine.

My brother died of complications due to his lifestyle of drinking. He would have loved this message being presented today of believing in Christ but not turning from sin and you are still saved.

But my Bible tells me no drunkard will inherit the kingdom of heaven. Not sure how so many miss the fact that God abhors sin, but apparently many do.

That's really sad that you place your trust in man and believe that your brother is in hell. My father was an alcoholic and much more. Was born an alcoholic, lived an alcoholic and died an alcoholic. Yet he was saved. He BELIEVED on the Lord Jesus Christ as his savior. Made a profession of faith. Understood that it was only through the BLOOD that he was saved and not by works. I know that God's Word is true and although he died an addict he now lives in Christ free, saved for all eternity. My faith is in the atoning BLOOD, not the works of man.

Then how come you say that one can "live as he pleases" AFTER salvation when Scripture contradicts you?

Please take the time to find the post where I said exactly that, you know, the ""live as he pleases" AFTER salvation" bit you love to state but can not quote me stating.