• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance - Biblical Viewpoint

• Members

It is more than 'Believe.' If works do not follow, that belief was in vain... it was dead.

Go to a bar and observe drunks, or to the ghetto and observe drunks. They will talk to you about Jesus, they will tell you that they believe Jesus died on the cross and rose again the third day. My oldest brother would tell me that when he was drunk. If he did not believe it, he would not repeat it. If he did not believe Jesus died on the cross and rose again, he would have denied that it ever happened.

Are you telling me that my brother, because he believed Jesus died on the cross, was saved?

Who are you trusting for your salvation? Your brother or Jesus Christ? His actions or the Word?

The Word:

1Jn 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Heb 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that
believe to the saving of the soul.
2Ti 2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.
1Ti 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.
1Ti 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Act 13:39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.
Act 15:7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
Act 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

And this is my message to all of you and I wipe my hands clean of you - This is NOT my interpretation but The Living Word of God:

Act 13:41 Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you.

• Members

Since you have a problem answering a simple question, I'll give you the answer... my oldest brother died and went to a devil's hell despite his belief in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

How do I know that? Because although he professed Christ, he died a drunkard... not even wanting to talk to his mother about the Lord.

Belief only is the same as rejection... it leads to one dying in ones sin and spending eternity in hell.

• Members

REPENT: To repent is to turn FROM a sinful lifestyle by the convicting power of the Holy Spirit and the grace of God and to turn TO God in faith trusting in the once-for-all sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ on the Cross of Calvary for the forgiveness of sin. True biblical repentance is a change of mind toward God and sin that resultsin a change of life. Repentance is not turning from ALL sin...therefore it is NOT becoming sinlessly perfect. It WILL however, change the desire of that sinner NOT to "live as he/she pleases" and to no longer desire to walk in rebellion against God.

Note to 2Tim215...I would appreciate you not using so much bold red font. I just had cataract surgery and I also have glaucoma and that red is killing my eyes. Would appreciate it if you would simply use black bold font to emphasize rather than the bold red. Thanks.

I will try to refrain from the red font as well. Thank you for mentioning it. If the blue font bothers you, just let me know and I will stick with just black.

Jonah 3:10 "...and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not."

If repent means to turn from sin and to turn to God as you seem to say it does every time you see the word. Please explain why God would be turning from sin in Jonah 3:10.

• Members

Who are you angry with, me for the truth, God for just maybe saving your brother or your self for your self righteous arrogance that place your opinions above God's Word?

1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
Now how can I twist that?
Or this?
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Noted Linda: changed to black - hope you get well soon.

Edited by 2Tim215

• Members

So you foolishly believe a drunkard will enter heaven? After all, he did say he believed in Christ.

The pedophile that believes in Christ will enter in heaven even though he never repented of his sin.

The thief who professes Christ but never quits stealing has no worry, he'll make it in. After all he believes.

And yet, contrary to your doctrine, the Word declares that nothing that defiles will enter heaven.

You must be heading to a different heaven than the one of the Bible.

• Members

Who are you angry with, me for the truth, God for just maybe saving your brother or your self for your self righteous arrogance that place your opinions above God's Word?

Now how can I twist that?
Or this?

Noted Linda: changed to black - hope you get well soon.
God's Word declares that no drunkard will enter heaven. Apparently it is not I that is the arrogant one.

• Members

I apologizes to all if I come across offensive in any way or cause hurt with any of the scriptures quoted. The Word says it and I believe it. I can do nothing else but believe what it tells me in the most simplistic terms as quoted in bold black above. Not twisted nor incorrectly interpreted. Not false doctrine or theology, but God's Word.

I did not come to this forum to cause anger, hurt or dissent and was unaware that the predominant doctrine here was based on one man - Calvin. I assumed being IFB that you would all hold to the fundamentals of the faith. Again - sorry. This will be my last post here.

• Members

God's Word declares that no drunkard will enter heaven. Apparently it is not I that is the arrogant one.

All sins are covered by the blood. Not just past sins. They were all future sins when Christ died on the cross over 2000 years ago. God doesnt see a dirty wicked sinner when he looks at my soul. He sees a soul that has been washed in the blood of the lamb, without spot or blemish, made completely perfect by the atonement of Jesus Christ.

• Members

I will try to refrain from the red font as well. Thank you for mentioning it. If the blue font bothers you, just let me know and I will stick with just black.

Jonah 3:10 "...and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not."

If repent means to turn from sin and to turn to God as you seem to say it does every time you see the word. Please explain why God would be turning from sin in Jonah 3:10.

Please respond to the above. I think the sooner we clear up this double definition that you are using, the easier this discussion will go. Things are going to get very simple once we define terms here, so I would like to do that before proceeding.

• Members

From Way of Life Encyclopedia

8. Repentance is a U-Turn. Repentance is when a sinner is heading one direction, which is the way of sin and self-will, and he stops and turns around so that he is now going God's way. This definition of repentance is seen in Exodus 13:17: "Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt." The repentance of the Jews would mean they turned around from following God to return to Egypt. This is the opposite of what a sinner does for salvation, but it gives the correct definition of the term repentance.

Repentance for man is turning from and turning to. Man turns from the desire to sin and turns to the desire to live for and please Almighty God.

• Members

I apologizes to all if I come across offensive in any way or cause hurt with any of the scriptures quoted. The Word says it and I believe it. I can do nothing else but believe what it tells me in the most simplistic terms as quoted in bold black above. Not twisted nor incorrectly interpreted. Not false doctrine or theology, but God's Word.

I did not come to this forum to cause anger, hurt or dissent and was unaware that the predominant doctrine here was based on one man - Calvin. I assumed being IFB that you would all hold to the fundamentals of the faith. Again - sorry. This will be my last post here.

I sent you a private message. I think you should reconsider the choice of ending your posts here. I enjoy your thoughts on the subject, and we are all adults here and should be able to have a discussion without making it personal.

• Members

Repentance for man is turning from and turning to. Man turns from the desire to sin and turns to the desire to live for and please Almighty God.

I SAID define REPENT. There is no such thing as a definition for man and for God, neither does the Bible in ANY instance say that there is. The word means what it means.

Jonah 3:10 says that "God repented" so please explain why God would have to turn from sin...

• Members

All sins are covered by the blood. Not just past sins. They were all future sins when Christ died on the cross over 2000 years ago. God doesnt see a dirty wicked sinner when he looks at my soul. He sees a soul that has been washed in the blood of the lamb, without spot or blemish, made completely perfect by the atonement of Jesus Christ.
Not if you are in a lifestyle of sin He doesn't. Whether you say you believe Christ or not, if you are living a life of sin your belief is in vain.

Sure you quoted the Word of God. But you handle it deceitfully. You tell tell people to believe and they are saved whether they remain in sin or not. That is not sound Biblical doctrine.