• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance - Biblical Viewpoint

• Members

KJV1611 is right. By your definition anyone who falls back into sin at any time in their life was never saved. When I state the "I live like the devil" - you will note that it is in inverted commas. This is because some of you have already decided to label me in this manner. Like you, I am of the flesh and as such live in sin ALWAYS. I fall, I get angry, I sin daily, I often do what I want and not what I should and often I wish I had never heard of the gospel or Jesus Christ. BUT I know that He is real, I know He died for me, I know WHY he died for me and I know without a doubt that I am saved!!!

This whole true salvation and false salvation thing that a lot of you IFB's use to justify your lack of understanding of why people live unchanged lives smacks of Calvinism. I chose to believe and I choose to continue to live in sin or not, and this is never permanent. It changes every second of every day. Life happens and some of you are blessed to have a loving community of believers surrounding you where you are held accountable, chastised, loved and motivated and finally, have reason to believe in God's goodness rather than His indifference.

For many that is not the case and if you believe in eternal security you will hopefully understand the absolute simple beauty of God's saving Grace. He made it simple for a reason, the entire bible testifies that man can not get saved by works, that nothing he does will ever satisfy God's righteousness and that only through Jesus are we made acceptable unto Him. That if we believe once off at any one time in our lives we are promised eternal salvation. And the reason this is of God alone is because NOTHING we can EVER do can take that promise away, that our works can not bank it and our sin can not withdraw it. It is done and will for ever stay done. IFB's slam all others who don't believe in eternal security yet turn around and say that if they don't live holy lives they were never saved. Many believe they can lose their salvation and "repent" daily - You believe they were never saved in the first place if no change occurs. This whole thing that you need to repent and change in order to be saved stinks of works based salvation - so I have to throw the question back at you - are you truly saved if you think that you can convince God that you are worthy to be saved because you "repented"?

Me, I think I will stay with the fact that I am unworthy, was unworthy and remain unworthy and it is only His grace that saved me. Remember, it is not how many times they fall, it's how many times they get up - even if it's only in the heart where the judgmental pharisees can not see, GOD SEES IT!!!

• Members

KJV1611 is right. By your definition anyone who falls back into sin at any time in their life was never saved. When I state the "I live like the devil" - you will note that it is in inverted commas. This is because some of you have already decided to label me in this manner. Like you, I am of the flesh and as such live in sin ALWAYS. I fall, I get angry, I sin daily, I often do what I want and not what I should and often I wish I had never heard of the gospel or Jesus Christ. BUT I know that He is real, I know He died for me, I know WHY he died for me and I know without a doubt that I am saved!!!

This whole true salvation and false salvation thing that a lot of you IFB's use to justify your lack of understanding of why people live unchanged lives smacks of Calvinism. I chose to believe and I choose to continue to live in sin or not, and this is never permanent. It changes every second of every day. Life happens and some of you are blessed to have a loving community of believers surrounding you where you are held accountable, chastised, loved and motivated and finally, have reason to believe in God's goodness rather than His indifference.

For many that is not the case and if you believe in eternal security you will hopefully understand the absolute simple beauty of God's saving Grace. He made it simple for a reason, the entire bible testifies that man can not get saved by works, that nothing he does will ever satisfy God's righteousness and that only through Jesus are we made acceptable unto Him. That if we believe once off at any one time in our lives we are promised eternal salvation. And the reason this is of God alone is because NOTHING we can EVER do can take that promise away, that our works can not bank it and our sin can not withdraw it. It is done and will for ever stay done. IFB's slam all others who don't believe in eternal security yet turn around and say that if they don't live holy lives they were never saved. Many believe they can lose their salvation and "repent" daily - You believe they were never saved in the first place if no change occurs. This whole thing that you need to repent and change in order to be saved stinks of works based salvation - so I have to throw the question back at you - are you truly saved if you think that you can convince God that you are worthy to be saved because you "repented"?

Me, I think I will stay with the fact that I am unworthy, was unworthy and remain unworthy and it is only His grace that saved me. Remember, it is not how many times they fall, it's how many times they get up - even if it's only in the heart where the judgmental pharisees can not see, GOD SEES IT!!!

First of all, my late husband didn't "fall back into sin"....he "remained IN" his sin There was nothing for him to "fall back into" because he never came "out", but "remained IN" his sin. Please don't make statements that I "implied this" or I "implied that" when you can't back it up with a quote. Implications of what I said or what I didn't say are simply assumptions on your part.

I am NOT a Calvinist. Nobody chooses to believe on Christ and also chooses to remain in sin. If there is no change in lifestyle (even a small one), then there probably was no change in that person's heart. Too many think they can live as they please and still go to heaven. This is the "fruit" of this "just believe in Christ" theology. This is not what Scripture teaches.

I believe in the eternal security of the believer. Our sin nature is not eradicated at salvation and we don't become "sinless" at salvation, but this doesn't give us an excuse to sin. Ephesians 2:10 follows Ephesians 2:8 & 9:

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Works don't save us...but we work "out" what God has already "worked in" us after we are saved.

To repent is to change one's attitude toward self, toward sin, toward God, toward Christ. ... So to face these tremendous facts is to change one's mind completely, so that the pleasure lover sees and confesses the folly of his empty life; the self-indulgent learns to hate the passions that express the corruption of his nature; the self-righteous sees himself a condemned sinner in the eyes of a holy God; the man who has been hiding from God seeks to find a hiding place in Him; the Christ-rejector realizes and owns his need of life and salvation" (Harry Ironside, Except Ye Repent, 1937).

This whole thing that you need to repent and change in order to be saved stinks of works based salvation - so I have to throw the question back at you - are you truly saved if you think that you can convince God that you are worthy to be saved because you "repented"?

NOBODY is worthy to be saved. Repentance doesn't make a sinner worthy to be saved. Biblical repentance humbles the sinner...it changes his heart...the sinner sees himself unworthy before a holy God. Repentance is not works based salvation...never has been, never will be.

• Members

Repentance is more than just turning from unbelief to belief. If that were all it was, then satan himself is saved. Satan believes in Jesus and who he is. The devils believe... and tremble.

Repentance is a turning away from the desire to sin, the desire to fulfill the lusts of one's flesh and a turning to God with a desire to serve Him..

God resisteth the proud but giveth grace to the humble. If one does not repent of ones pride, which is an abomination in God's eyes, then God will not save that one. If one does not repent of sin, that one cannot be saved for no man can serve two masters. Light has no fellowship with darkness.

• Members

Repentance is more than just turning from unbelief to belief. If that were all it was, then satan himself is saved. Satan believes in Jesus and who he is. The devils believe... and tremble.

Repentance is a turning away from the desire to sin, the desire to fulfill the lusts of one's flesh and a turning to God with a desire to serve Him..

God resisteth the proud but giveth grace to the humble. If one does not repent of ones pride, which is an abomination in God's eyes, then God will not save that one. If one does not repent of sin, that one cannot be saved for no man can serve two masters. Light has no fellowship with darkness.

READ your BIBLE. The devils believe there is ONE God (James 2:19). It never says they believe ON Jesus Christ. Also, as has been said in this thread around THREE times now, the angels do NOT have souls. They CANNOT be saved. Christ did NOT die for angels, but for MAN. So saying the devils believe there is one God has nothing to do with a lost sinner turning in belief to Jesus Christ. To the angels, the Bible says salvation is a mystery. They don't even understand it (1 Peter 1:12).

You make statements like, "if one will not repent of ones pride, God will not save that one". SHOW me in the BIBLE where it says this. Anyone can claim that a word means this or that, or that the Bible teaches this or that, but really all you are telling us is YOUR words, not GOD'S words. Let God be true, but every man a liar.

• Members

Nobody chooses to believe on Christ and also chooses to remain in sin. If there is no change in lifestyle (even a small one), then there probably was no change in that person's heart. Too many think they can live as they please and still go to heaven. This is the "fruit" of this "just believe in Christ" theology. This is not what Scripture teaches.

Linda,

If that isn't the statement of someone who thinks they have to trust Christ PLUS live a good life to get to heaven, then I don't know what is. That is WORKS. Anyone that believes that they have to "live a good life" PLUS trust Christ to get to heaven is NOT saved.

Jesus said "I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life: NO MAN COMETH UNTO THE FATHER, BUT BY ME." He did not say but by me and a good life, but by me and good works, but by me and holding out faithful, or but by me and ANYTHING ELSE.

It's ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL JESUS pus nothing, minus nothing. He draws us, he gives us the faith to believe, he saves us, he keeps us saved.

The fruit of the just believe theology is a SAVED soul. You believe it takes anything BUT belief, and you cannot be saved.

• Members

Linda, apologies if you assumed that my post was directed at you personally - that was not the case at all. My use of the word "you" was directed at all who believe that repentance is a prerequisite for salvation, or that those that believe that those who once saved have fallen and been unable to get up again were never saved in the first place. I believe that God wants all to be saved and the Word affirms this belief and I just wish that we all could stop complicating the matter and making judgments that are only Gods to make. Judgments based on emotion, lack of understanding and fear.
If God in His wisdom made salvation so simple that one act of humility on our side at any point in our lives resulted in His saving grace being eternally bestowed upon us, then who are we to complicate the matter or decide who is or isn't saved.

God resisteth the proud but giveth grace to the humble. If one does not repent of ones pride, which is an abomination in God's eyes, then God will not save that one.

What do you think it takes to believe in the saving grace of Christ? It takes a person HUMBLING themselves and accepting that on their own merit or works they can never stand up to God's righteousness and thus NEED His gift of grace through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is the most important act of humility any human can ever do - that is why God gives grace to the humble and resists the proud. Name one person not proud of anything after salvation. No one, is the answer. So yes, you are correct that God will not save the proud, but only if he resists the gift of grace, but anything else is works based salvation

Salvation is meant to be simple so as to confound the wise. Many will be in heaven that didn't make it past the ushers of many a IFB church door. Please, people, put aside the humane need to feel special, chosen, deserving and in control and realize that Jesus first came to the worst sinners and left the self righteous pharisees to there own ends.

• Members

Linda,

If that isn't the statement of someone who thinks they have to trust Christ PLUS live a good life to get to heaven, then I don't know what is. That is WORKS. Anyone that believes that they have to "live a good life" PLUS trust Christ to get to heaven is NOT saved.

Jesus said "I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life: NO MAN COMETH UNTO THE FATHER, BUT BY ME." He did not say but by me and a good life, but by me and good works, but by me and holding out faithful, or but by me and ANYTHING ELSE.

It's ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL JESUS pus nothing, minus nothing. He draws us, he gives us the faith to believe, he saves us, he keeps us saved.

The fruit of the just believe theology is a SAVED soul. You believe it takes anything BUT belief, and you cannot be saved.

THAT IS NOT WORKS. The works a Christian does AFTER salvation are the RESULT/FRUIT of being saved, not the cause. Christians are called to be "separate"...that doesn't mean we are all to live in monastaries and convents, but we are to live differently than those who are unsaved. Living godly lives (remember, we are "being conformed to the image of Christ" ..Rom. 8:29) doesn't mean we live a life of asceticism.

The fruit of "just believe" theology is "you can live as you please and still go to heaven. It doesn't matter how you live...you can be just like the world. You don't even need to have a desire to obey God. Just do as you please." When I see people who say they are saved living in such a manner, red flags go up. And yes, I do question the salvation of such a person. A SAVED soul has a desire (through the love of God which indwells that SAVED soul by the Holy Spirit) to please God and obey Him. And it is only by His Spirit that a SAVED soul is able to do this.

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

For a professing Christian to live like the world before the unsaved who are honestly seeking the Saviour, is a terrible witness.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

It is NOT up to you to determine whether I am saved or not, sir. I certainly don't have a desire to "conform to this world system"...do you? The apostle Paul tells us to "walk in the Spirit"...do you walk in the Spirit? I would suggest that you study the third chapter of Philippians...for you seem to be contradicting all that the apostle said in this chapter about godly Christian living.

Philippians 3:1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.
Philippians 3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
Philippians 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
Philippians 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Philippians 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Philippians 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Philippians 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Philippians 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
Philippians 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
Philippians 3:11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
Philippians 3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
Philippians 3:16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.
Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
Philippians 3:18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
Philippians 3:19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
Philippians 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

We are saved by trusting in the once for all sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ on the Cross of Calvary. Nothing but the BLOOD OF JESUS! God gives us repentance...it is NOT a work. And the works which follow salvation, are the RESULT of our salvation/faith.

If you were accused of being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you? Edited by LindaR

• Members

We are saved by trusting in the once for all sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ on the Cross of Calvary. Nothing but the BLOOD OF JESUS! God gives us repentance...it is NOT a work. And the works which follow salvation, are the RESULT of our salvation/faith.

Linda,

We are in total agreement with what you said above. Repentance is not a work....it is turning from unbelief to belief. Works are the RESULT of salvation and are not part of salvation.

The problem is that you believe this Too many think they can live as they please and still go to heaven.

I am a saved Christian. Why? Because I trusted Jesus Christ as my Saviour. He saved me. He keeps me saved. I believe I can live as I please and still goto heaven, which contradicts what YOU believe. I do believe there are consequences for not living for Christ, like punishment now on earth, and also loss of rewards / position later in heaven.

Now, if for example, I was to live the rest of my life as I please and choose to live in sin, would I goto heaven? What's your answer?

• Members

READ your BIBLE. The devils believe there is ONE God (James 2:19). It never says they believe ON Jesus Christ. Also, as has been said in this thread around THREE times now, the angels do NOT have souls. They CANNOT be saved. Christ did NOT die for angels, but for MAN. So saying the devils believe there is one God has nothing to do with a lost sinner turning in belief to Jesus Christ. To the angels, the Bible says salvation is a mystery. They don't even understand it (1 Peter 1:12).

You make statements like, "if one will not repent of ones pride, God will not save that one". SHOW me in the BIBLE where it says this. Anyone can claim that a word means this or that, or that the Bible teaches this or that, but really all you are telling us is YOUR words, not GOD'S words. Let God be true, but every man a liar.

I suggest you read your Bible. The devils do believe in Jesus Christ and who He is.

Two men in the land of the Gergesenes were possessed with devils. When the devils saw Jesus they said, "What have we to do with Thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come to torment us before the time?"

They knew Jesus was the Son of God, and they also knew that they were to be tormented in the future.

So, if believing who Jesus is is all that is needed for Salvation, that one need not repent of sin, then the devils that admitted who Jesus is in Matthew 8 are saved... if we are to believe your theology.

Of course, we know your theology is flawed; that's why we don't accept it, nor believe it.

• Members

Now, if for example, I was to live the rest of my life as I please and choose to live in sin, would I goto heaven? What's your answer?

If you live as you please, no... you would not go to heaven.

The heart is deceitful above all others and desperately wicked. There is a way that seemeth right unto a man but the end thereof are the ways of death.

God does not want us going our own way, living as we please. He knows our heart. He knows it is wicked. That is why He sent His Son.

Repentance is more than just turning from unbelief to belief... it is turning from the desire to sin to a desire to live a righteous life before God and man.... a life guided by Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit.

• Members

Linda,

We are in total agreement with what you said above. Repentance is not a work....it is turning from unbelief to belief. Works are the RESULT of salvation and are not part of salvation.

The problem is that you believe this Too many think they can live as they please and still go to heaven.

I am a saved Christian. Why? Because I trusted Jesus Christ as my Saviour. He saved me. He keeps me saved. I believe I can live as I please and still goto heaven, which contradicts what YOU believe. I do believe there are consequences for not living for Christ, like punishment now on earth, and also loss of rewards / position later in heaven.

I don't believe that someone who professes Christ and trusts in His once for all sacrifice on the Cross of Calvary will desire to live as he pleases...and it does NOT contradict what I believe...it's BIBLE, God said it, not me. We are "new creatures" in Christ Jesus so why would we desire to live as we please? Doesn't being a "new creature" in Christ Jesus give one the DESIRE (through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit) to please Him and not self?

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

To answer your question, go to 2 Corinthians 13:5:

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Biblical salvation DOES make a difference...and the unsaved need to see that someone who professes to be born again acts "different" than the world. The world is watching us....are we going to be "lights" and "salt" to this lost and dying world...OR are we going to live as we please and be just like the world and hide our light under a bushel? Has the salt lost its savour? (Matthew 5:13-15) You decide.

• Members

I suggest you read your Bible. The devils do believe in Jesus Christ and who He is.

Two men in the land of the Gergesenes were possessed with devils. When the devils saw Jesus they said, "What have we to do with Thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come to torment us before the time?"

They knew Jesus was the Son of God, and they also knew that they were to be tormented in the future.

So, if believing who Jesus is is all that is needed for Salvation, that one need not repent of sin, then the devils that admitted who Jesus is in Matthew 8 are saved... if we are to believe your theology.

Of course, we know your theology is flawed; that's why we don't accept it, nor believe it.

You guys have it all wrong. It's NOT the believing in Jesus that saves - It's the believing that Jesus died for you, that He took your sins upon Himself and that with Him nothing you can do can reunite you with God. The devils believing Jesus is that they believe Him to be the Son of God - we on the other hand believe Him to be THE SAVIOR!!

• Members

I don't believe that someone who professes Christ and trusts in His once for all sacrifice on the Cross of Calvary will desire to live as he pleases...and it does NOT contradict what I believe...it's BIBLE, God said it, not me. We are "new creatures" in Christ Jesus so why would we desire to live as we please? Doesn't being a "new creature" in Christ Jesus give one the DESIRE (through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit) to please Him and not self?

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

To answer your question, go to 2 Corinthians 13:5:

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Biblical salvation DOES make a difference...and the unsaved need to see that someone who professes to be born again acts "different" than the world. The world is watching us....are we going to be "lights" and "salt" to this lost and dying world...OR are we going to live as we please and be just like the world and hide our light under a bushel? Has the salt lost its savour? (Matthew 5:13-15) You decide.

I agree its "right" to live for Christ after salvation. Scripture clearly teaches this. I believe you "should" live for Christ after salvation. I believe you "are" a new creature after salvation. The difference is that you are putting the change before the belief. Repentance it turning from unbelief to belief in Christ, then you are changed. Not before. Also, even though we "should" and it is "right" to live for Christ, it is not a "requirement" for salvation.

You never answered my question. Would I be saved or lost? I'd like to hear your answer.

• Members

1 - Devils / Fallen Angels cannot be saved. Read the Bible.
2 - Christ did not die for the angels, he died for man. Read the Bible.
3 - Angels do not have souls. Read the Bible.
4 - Salvation / Redemption is a mystery to the angels. They Don't understand it, but desire to. Read the Bible
5 - Believing on Jesus Christ is trusting him as Saviour. Jesus means Jehovah, the one who saves. The devils do not trust him as Saviour, and cannot believe on him as Saviour. Read your Bible.

• Members

If you live as you please, no... you would not go to heaven.

Repentance is more than just turning from unbelief to belief... it is turning from the desire to sin to a desire to live a righteous life before God and man.... a life guided by Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit.

Any person that believes you MUST live a good life after salvation in order to goto heaven is teaching Christ PLUS good works for salvation and IS LOST.

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved" It's not PLUS live a good life, plus do good works, plus baptism, plus communion, or PLUS ANYTHING. You add anything to salvation and YOU DON'T HAVE IT.