• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance - Biblical Viewpoint

• Members

Way of Life Encyclopedia
REPENTANCE

Repentance is a supernatural work of God whereby a responsive sinner, being convicted by the Holy Spirit of his rebellion, turns to God from his sinful ways and trusts Jesus Christ for salvation Repentance means more than sorrow or regret or despair or grief. It is also more than mere confession or acknowledgement of sin. Bible repentance means a turning to God and a change of mind toward God that results in a change of life

2 Timothy 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

*Luke 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Acts 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

* Was the publican simply "changing his mind" from unbelief to belief in Luke 18:13????

Edited by LindaR

• Members

I think the scriptures are pretty clear that repentance is a prerequisite before salvation can take place. The only "question" is what repentance is. It isn't cleaning yourself up and getting rid of sin in your life. It isn't exactly the same thing as belief and faith either though it is related. Rather it is both a mental and heart rejection of your current state/will/direction and a desire/willingness to align yourself with Gods will/way in so far as you are able to understand it at the time. I think someone mentioned that the philippian jailer was simply told "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." This is true. The reason for that though is that there is little need to wonder about whether a individual is at the point of repentance when that individual has fallen down trembling in front of you and is asking YOU what he needs to do in order to be saved rather than you trying to convince him he needs to be saved. Sort of a no brainer that that such a individual is very ready to believe, though they did apparently expound upon it a bit further. Scripturally the preaching of repentance is directed most often to those who are either flat rejecting God or only giving lip service with a heart that is not really ready to be right with God. The danger of not mentioning repentance at all is that it can give false assurance to those who are only mentally concurring with the gospel without a willing heart. Basically just giving lip service.

Not true, that would be the same as taking Acts 2: 38 and saying that one needs to be baptized to be saved. In Acts 15 we see the discussion concerning salvation through works and by faith (believing) and it was proven by Peter to those gathered that salvation is by faith and faith alone - verses 6 - 12. There is no need for repentance, baptism or anything else before believing in the saving grace of Christ. This the scripture IS CLEAR on!!!

Act 15:6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.
Act 15:7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
Act 15:8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
Act 15:9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
Act 15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
Act 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

• Members

The scripture is clear on defining repentance. It is always a 180 degree turn. In reference to salvation, the only 180 degree turn that saves is turning from unbelief to belief. Abandoning your old religious beliefs, philosophies, etc. and turning to belief in Christ alone. Philip did not ask the ethiopian eunuch if he had repented. He said if thou believest with all thine heart. When a person believes, that means they have turned from their UNBELIEF. So they HAVE repented by turning from unbelief to belief in Christ.

If repentance is simply turning from unbelief, no more, no less, then why is it treated as something separate from belief in the scriptures? Logically the opposite of unbelief is belief correct? If you are telling someone to turn from unbelief why tell them to believe at all? If they turned from unbelief the state of belief is the only other option. Therefore telling them to to repent and believe would seem superfluous. It would be only one step not two. If your definition of repentance was correct what would be the point of using the word repentance in the following scripture samples?

"Mark 1:14-15 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel."

"Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance." Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

Way of Life Encyclopedia
REPENTANCE

Repentance is a supernatural work of God whereby a responsive sinner, being convicted by the Holy Spirit of his rebellion, turns to God from his sinful ways and trusts Jesus Christ for salvation (2 Timothy 2:25; John 16:8; Acts 11:18; 26:20). Repentance means more than sorrow or regret or despair or grief. It is also more than mere confession or acknowledgement of sin. Bible repentance means a turning to God and a change of mind toward God that results in a change of life (Matthew 3:1-2; Luke 5:32; 13:1-3; 18:13; Acts 2:38; 5:31; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20; 2 Peter 3:9).

I have no interest in knowing how man defines repentance in the "way of life" encyclopedia. God's Word IS THE WAY OF LIFE and works just fine for me. I'll just keep on trusting it.
I find it interesting though that the verses you list as PROOF for a false definition of repentance do not support your viewpoint....

2 Tim 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

What are they turning from in the above verse? Unbelief! What are they turning to? The Truth - Jesus Christ

John 16:8-9 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me;

No mention of the word repentance, but it is interesting that he is going to reprove the world of sin. WHY? Is it because they didnt turn from their sin? NO. It's because they DID NOT BELIEVE on HIM.

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

No mention of turning from sins, no mention of surrendering your life. How this supports your viewpoint I do not know. The only way to have life is through believing in Jesus Christ "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

I've explained this twice already.

Matt 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

No mention of turning from sins (except for where you insert it because of your OWN beliefs)

Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

God is NOT concerned with sinners cleaning themselves up. He is concerned with them BELIEVING. BUT again, no mention of turning from sins in this verse.

Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

No mention of turning from sins... If they do not turn from their unbelief, they will perish. Unbelief to belief.

Luke 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Turns in belief towards God and asks for God's mercy. Notice he does not say, God I've given up my smoking, drinking, gambling, and am now going to live right for you, please forgive me. He just acknowledges that he is a sinner and trusts Christ to save Him.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

You receive the Holy Ghost when you Believe. Repent would mean to turn from unbelief and to believe the Gospel. No mention of turning from sins.

Acts 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

No mention of turning from sins. The only way to have sins forgiven though is by turning from unbelief to belief in Christ.

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

No mention of turning from sins. There is a mention of turning toward Jesus Christ in faith. What were they turning from? The opposite of faith is not faith, or another way to put it is they turned from unbelief to belief in Christ. Thats a 180 degree turn ISNT it? A 180 degree turn from sinning is to not sinning. That doesnt save anyone, and is clearly works.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

God wants everyone to believe. In order to believe they must turn from their unbelief. No mention of turning from your sins.

• Members

If repentance is simply turning from unbelief, no more, no less, than why is it treated as something separate from belief in the scriptures? Logically the opposite of unbelief is belief correct? If you are telling someone to turn from unbelief why tell them to believe at all? If they turned from unbelief the state of belief is the only other option. Therefore telling them to to repent and believe would seem superfluous. It would be only one step not two. If your definition of repentance was correct what would be the point of using the word repentance in the following scripture samples?

"Mark 1:14-15 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel."

"Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance."

Hi Seth,

I think that is a fair question. Keep in mind what "repent" means though, and I think it will become more clear. Repent means a 180 degree turn from one thing to another. Or a 180 degree change of mind. If I just said for someone to "repent", they would say "from what?" or "to what"? The context of the verse determines what they are turning from and to.

In Mark 1:14-15 if Jesus had just stopped and said repent, one might ask change our minds about what? What he does though, as with almost every instance of the word repent, is to give a to or from. In this instance he gives a "toward". He says to believe the gospel. So they are to turn from their unbelief (works, baptisms, good deeds, church membership, etc) to believing in the gospel. They are making a 180 degree turn from unbelief to belief.

In Acts 26:20 they are told to "repent and turn toward God". If the verse had stopped at just repent, you might ask from what or to what? But the verse tells us what they are to turn TO which is God. In order to turn to God you must believe in God. What would the FROM be? Well, what is 180 degrees of turning to God by believing? They would be turning from not believing in God.

I hope this helps.

• Members
Amen!! I am saved. The bible said it, I believe it. Jesus did it, I accept it. Even if I do still "live like the devil".

Really?

Check this link out...

KJV'>Click here.

The word "doeth" and such there means "practice." If you don't practice righteousness, then you're lost. If there is no change, there is no salvation.
God bless,
Joel ><>.

• Members

Repentance is NOT cleaning up your life in order to be saved. Repentance is admitting that you are lost and undone in need of a Saviour...humbly coming to Jesus and trusting Him for your salvation. Repentance will ALWAYS result in a changed life. Changing your mind from unbelief to belief means nothing without a change of heart. Anyone can believe that Jesus Christ died for the sins of the entire world and rose again on the third day....even the devil believes this. (James 2:19)

Biblical repentance is NOT works, nor is it Lordship salvation. Repentance is to admit your sin and rebellion against God and to change your mind about sinning against God and turn to Him in faith, trusting in the finished work of Christ on the cross of Calvary for the forgiveness of your sins. Repentance and faith are two sides of the same coin...how one responds to God's offer of salvation.

Edited by LindaR

• Members

Hi Seth,

I think that is a fair question. Keep in mind what "repent" means though, and I think it will become more clear. Repent means a 180 degree turn from one thing to another. Or a 180 degree change of mind. If I just said for someone to "repent", they would say "from what?" or "to what"? The context of the verse determines what they are turning from and to.

In Mark 1:14-15 if Jesus had just stopped and said repent, one might ask change our minds about what? What he does though, as with almost every instance of the word repent, is to give a to or from. In this instance he gives a "toward". He says to believe the gospel. So they are to turn from their unbelief (works, baptisms, good deeds, church membership, etc) to believing in the gospel. They are making a 180 degree turn from unbelief to belief.

I don't see how that explanation makes much sense, most of the time in the NT no context is given that would explain what they were to repent of. Contextually the word "repent" or "repentance" is usually treated as something that needs no explanation. Matthew 3:2, Matthew 4:17,Luke 13:3 etc. Those particular I examples mentioned earlier just happened to use repent and believe or repent & turn to God together which shows repentance and belief are not exactly the same thing.

On another note, here you are defining repentance as a 180 degree change of mind, rather than just turning from unbelief, which I would agree with. Only thing I would argue is that it is also a change of heart, not just of mind.

"Deuteronomy 10:16 Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked."

"Psalm 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:"

"Psalm 78:36-37 Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues. For their heart was not right with him, neither were they stedfast in his covenant."

"Psalm 95:10 Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:"

Take just one of those verses: "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me". If this is true then how could anyone be saved without having had a change of heart as well as a change of mind? Repentance being a change of heart as well as a change of mind seems such a basic scriptural truth it is hard to see how it could even be argued against. Do you really think someone can merely say they believe on Jesus while coming to God in pride and unwillingness to re-line themselves with what they know to be his will and actually get saved?

• Members

Really?

Check this link out...

Click here.

The word "doeth" and such there means "practice." If you don't practice righteousness, then you're lost. If there is no change, there is no salvation.
God bless,
Joel ><>.

I don't see a link to "Click here".

• Members

I don't see how that explanation makes much sense, most of the time in the NT no context is given that would explain what they were to repent of. Contextually the word "repent" or "repentance" is usually treated as something that needs no explanation. Matthew 3:2, Matthew 4:17,Luke 13:3 etc. Those particular I examples mentioned earlier just happened to use repent and believe or repent & turn to God together which shows repentance and belief are not exactly the same thing.

On another note, here you are defining repentance as a 180 degree change of mind, rather than just turning from unbelief, which I would agree with. Only thing I would argue is that it is also a change of heart, not just of mind.

"Deuteronomy 10:16 Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked."

"Psalm 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:"

"Psalm 78:36-37 Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues. For their heart was not right with him, neither were they stedfast in his covenant."

"Psalm 95:10 Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:"

Take just one of those verses: "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me". If this is true then how could anyone be saved without having had a change of heart as well as a change of mind? Repentance being a change of heart as well as a change of mind seems such a basic scriptural truth it is hard to see how it could even be argued against. Do you really think someone can merely say they believe on Jesus while coming to God in pride and unwillingness to re-line themselves with what they know to be his will and actually get saved?

You do not believe with your "mind". You believe with your HEART. Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. So when you repent (turn from unbelief to believing) it is a "change of heart".

If a man truly believes, no matter what state he is currently in, God WILL save him. After he believes, God will give him a NEW heart and will help him to serve him with that new heart. Too many people trying to get the sinner to change before accepting Christ. The change happens only AFTER he believes.

• Members

Repentance is NOT cleaning up your life in order to be saved. Repentance is admitting that you are lost and undone in need of a Saviour...humbly coming to Jesus and trusting Him for your salvation. Repentance will ALWAYS result in a changed life. Changing your mind from unbelief to belief means nothing without a change of heart. Anyone can believe that Jesus Christ died for the sins of the entire world and rose again on the third day....even the devil believes this. (James 2:19)

Biblical repentance is NOT works, nor is it Lordship salvation. Repentance is to admit your sin and rebellion against God and to change your mind about sinning against God and turn to Him in faith, trusting in the finished work of Christ on the cross of Calvary for the forgiveness of your sins. Repentance and faith are two sides of the same coin...how one responds to God's offer of salvation.

You believe with your HEART (Romans 10:10). That is where the change from unbelief to belief takes place. And you are right ANYONE CAN believe. And if they DO believe, then they are saved. Saving faith is a faith that trusts Jesus Christ alone as the only means of salvation.

I get the feeling you are not actually reading my posts, and are probably not reading the scripture I post as well. You quoted James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
I mentioned in an earlier post that first, the devils cannot be saved they do not have souls. Second, Christ did not die for them. So even though the devils believe there is one God, that is not the same as a human being putting their faith in Christ.

Nor does the Bible ever say that believing in Christ alone is "not enough" as you are implying. Someone who truly turns to Christ in faith is saved. No matter how hard you want to make it, or how complicated you may try to make the issue seem. God's word says to ONLY BELIEVE. It's really that simple.

• Members

You believe with your HEART (Romans 10:10). That is where the change from unbelief to belief takes place. And you are right ANYONE CAN believe. And if they DO believe, then they are saved. Saving faith is a faith that trusts Jesus Christ alone as the only means of salvation.

I get the feeling you are not actually reading my posts, and are probably not reading the scripture I post as well. You quoted James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
I mentioned in an earlier post that first, the devils cannot be saved they do not have souls. Second, Christ did not die for them. So even though the devils believe there is one God, that is not the same as a human being putting their faith in Christ.

Nor does the Bible ever say that believing in Christ alone is "not enough" as you are implying. Someone who truly turns to Christ in faith is saved. No matter how hard you want to make it, or how complicated you may try to make the issue seem. God's word says to ONLY BELIEVE. It's really that simple.

Saving faith produces a CHANGED LIFE. I was married to a man who "professed Christ" with his mouth and he did BELIEVE...but he was NOT saved. The reason I know he was not saved was because his lifestyle of being a drunkard never changed. But everyone told me he was saved. Either I was lied to, or my late husband was not saved. A saved person is a "new creature in Christ Jesus" (2 Cor. 5:17)...He was not a "new creature in Christ Jesus". I believe that many who "profess Christ" with their mouth and believe they are saved have a false assurance that they are saved and on their way to heaven...no matter what. Didn't the Lord Jesus say that not everyone who says "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven?

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

I am reading every one of your posts...and disagreeing with much of what you say. I've seen too many "false professions" and experienced being in the presence of people who "profess Christ" with their mouth and continue on in the same old sinful lifestyle they had before they "professed" faith in Christ. IOW, these folks NEVER changed, therefore, they were never saved.

I never implied that believing in Christ is "not enough"...my disagreement with this entire "turning from unbelief to belief" is that there is no "heart change" implied. If there was a "heart change" there would be biblical repentance...and biblical salvation. Edited by LindaR

• Members

Saving faith produces a CHANGED LIFE. I was married to a man who "professed Christ" with his mouth and he did BELIEVE...but he was NOT saved. The reason I know he was not saved was because his lifestyle of being a drunkard never changed. But everyone told me he was saved. Either I was lied to, or my late husband was not saved. A saved person is a "new creature in Christ Jesus" (2 Cor. 5:17)...He was not a "new creature in Christ Jesus". I believe that many who "profess Christ" with their mouth and believe they are saved have a false assurance that they are saved and on their way to heaven...no matter what. Didn't the Lord Jesus say that not everyone who says "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven?

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

I am reading every one of your posts...and disagreeing with much of what you say. I've seen too many "false professions" and experienced being in the presence of people who "profess Christ" with their mouth and continue on in the same old sinful lifestyle they had before they "professed" faith in Christ. IOW, these folks NEVER changed, therefore, they were never saved.

I never implied that believing in Christ is "not enough"...my disagreement with this entire "turning from unbelief to belief" is that there is no "heart change" implied. If there was a "heart change" there would be biblical repentance...and biblical salvation.

Was King David saved? God said of David "he was a man after mine own heart". Obviously SAVED. YET, he committed adultery with Uriah's wife Bathsheba, and then had Uriah killed in battle. According to your logic, he wasnt saved since he isn't leading a "good" Christian life.

As far as a "heart change". You BELIEVE with the HEART. God gives a born again Christan a NEW heart. This NEW heart is given AFTER believing though, not before.

In the above verses quoted, on all "outward" appearances those men would be saved. Notice that they do "many wonderful works" "prophesied" "cast out devils". So by YOUR logic, they must be saved. BUT God says ""I never knew you: depart from me" You see, God looks at the HEART to see whether or not they have BELIEVED. You are looking at the outward works as your evidence.

You also put in BOLD "but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."
It's as if you are saying that the will of the Father is that you have to live a "good" Christian life. What does Jesus say on the subject?
John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

After reading your most recent post, I think its clear that you think that every person who gets saved has to have outward evidence of salvation or they arent saved. The truth however, is that God looks at the heart. Man can only see the outward works, but God knows whether someone has believed to the saving of the soul.

Now I think we will be in agreement on this though. If there is little to no outward change, its a good "indicator" that there was no "inward" change and that they never believed. This does not change the definition of repentance though. Repentance is still turning from unbelief to belief. If a person does not show any "signs" of believing though after they are saved, then there is a good chance they made a false profession or never truly believed.

I cannot say that your late husband was, or was not, saved. I don't believe you can either if he made the claim to have believed. But I would agree with you, that if there was no change, then it is "unlikely" that he truly believed. Again, repentance doesn't change definitions though just because someone makes a false profession of faith.

Peter flat out denied the Lord THREE times. Yet no one would argue that he wasnt saved. While we are here on earth, we still struggle with sin because of our FLESH. Our SOUL is saved, but this body of flesh is not. Until the day we die and shed this body of sin, we will continue to struggle. What determines whether or not a Christian leads a victorious life is determined by whether or not they feed the flesh or spirit more.