• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance - Biblical Viewpoint

• Members

Hi swathdiver,

I read over the link you posted. The key thing to keep in mind is that the "change" occurs AFTER salvation and not before. Way of Life ministries as well as many others place the change BEFORE salvation...making it the man that does the changing and not God. You do NOT turn from sin in ORDER to BE saved...you turn from sin BECAUSE you ARE saved.

"And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel." - Mark 1:15

Repentance is mentioned 60 times in the New Testament. Repentance is always mentioned first too. As I read and understand the Scriptures one cannot be saved without "Repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." Many members of my family claim they are saved yet live carnal lives. They believe in Christ and know what He did for them but they have not repented. Even the devil believes but he has not repented.

Repentance and faith cannot be separated for salvation. In one act the sinner turns from sin towards faith in Christ. This doesn't mean we stop sinning completely or lose our salvation when we sin again either. It's an acknowledgement that one has broken God's laws and being sorrowful for that. Repentance is also surrendering to God and accepting Christ as our only Lord and Savior. All of these are internal acts that happen in an instant and not external works.

The Prodigal Son in Luke 15 is an example as is Zacchaeus in Luke 19 and the Thessalonians in 1 Thessalonians 1.

Acts 20:21 and Acts 26:20 don't make any sense to me when viewed from your approach to salvation.

"Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ."
"...that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance."

These tracts have been a blessing to me:
http://www.baptistch.../TractWells.pdf
http://www.baptistch...odsWayofSal.pdf Edited by swathdiver

• Members

• "And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel." - Mark 1:15

Repentance is mentioned 60 times in the New Testament. Repentance is always mentioned first too. As I read and understand the Scriptures one cannot be saved without "Repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." Many members of my family claim they are saved yet live carnal lives. They believe in Christ and know what He did for them but they have not repented. Even the devil believes but he has not repented.

Repentance and faith cannot be separated for salvation. In one act the sinner turns from sin towards faith in Christ. This doesn't mean we stop sinning completely or lose our salvation when we sin again either. It's an acknowledgement that one has broken God's laws and being sorrowful for that. Repentance is also surrendering to God and accepting Christ as our only Lord and Savior. All of these are internal acts that happen in an instant and not external works.

The Prodigal Son in Luke 15 is an example as is Zacchaeus in Luke 19 and the Thessalonians in 1 Thessalonians 1.

Acts 20:21 and Acts 26:20 don't make any sense to me when viewed from your approach to salvation.

"Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ."

Where to begin...

First, you are defining "repentance" in reference to salvation as "turning from sin" and "being sorrowful for sin" and "surrendering to God". Show me SCRIPTURE that teaches ANY of these definitions. The "Way of the master" website might teach this, but God's word does NOT. Repent always means a 180 degree turn from one thing to the opposite. It would NOT be turning from sins to God. It would be turning from sins to NOT sinning. The Bible does not teach this for salvation. It does teach that it is turning from unbelief to belief.

Second, you mentioned even the devil believes but hasnt repented. The angels cannot be saved. One reason is because they do not have souls. Another is that Christ did not die for them. To angels, salvation is a mystery.
    1 Pet 1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

• Next, Acts 20:21 and Acts 26:20

• In the first one, they are turning from unbelief in God and unbelief in the Lord Jesus Christ TO belief in God and Jesus Christ.
    In the second one, they are to repent (from unbelief) and turn to God (in belief) and do works meet (worthy of) repentance. So when a person gets saved they are commanded to do good works because it is their duty, and it is the least they can do for the great salvation God has given them. Ephesians 2:8-10 also say something very similar.
  • Why complicate something that is so simple to see in scripture. Repentance is obviously a necessary part of salvation. SO...knowing this, lets look at just one example, although there are many, many, many more.
  • Acts 16:30-31
  • And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
  • And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
  • Now, why didnt they tell him to "repent"? Isn't it NECESSARY for salvation? Jesus said it was. John the Baptist preached it. The Bible clearly teaches it. So, I ask again, why didnt they tell him to repent? The answer is simple. In order to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ" you have to turn from your unbelief to believing. So by saying to BELIEVE, they are in essense saying to REPENT.

Forget what "way of the master" says and believe what the Bible teaches about itself. You cant define terms based on what others say they mean. Interpret their definitions from the way the Bible gives them. The Bible clearly teaches that biblical repentance when in reference to salvation is turning from unbelief to belief. It is NOT turning from sins.

• Members

So...Why is repenting of one sin (unbelief) not a "work", yet repenting of many is?

I'll try and be back later with some good quotes from Leonard Ravenhill on the subject.

Do you consider Jonah 3:10 as evidence of repentance being a work? What about John not having any mention of repentance - do you consider that an argument for your position?
God bless,
Joel ><>.

• Members

(KJV1611) says = First, you are defining "repentance" in reference to salvation as "turning from sin" and "being sorrowful for sin" and "surrendering to God". Show me SCRIPTURE that teaches ANY of these definitions.

Sorrow = 2 Corinthians 7:10 "For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death."
Turning = Acts 26:20 "...that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance."
Surrender = Romans 10:9-13 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus ...thou shalt be saved." "...for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

When a lost person is turning to God, what are they turning from?

• Members

• Where to begin...

First, you are defining "repentance" in reference to salvation as "turning from sin" and "being sorrowful for sin" and "surrendering to God". Show me SCRIPTURE that teaches ANY of these definitions. The "Way of the master" website might teach this, but God's word does NOT. Repent always means a 180 degree turn from one thing to the opposite. It would NOT be turning from sins to God. It would be turning from sins to NOT sinning. The Bible does not teach this for salvation. It does teach that it is turning from unbelief to belief.

Second, you mentioned even the devil believes but hasnt repented. The angels cannot be saved. One reason is because they do not have souls. Another is that Christ did not die for them. To angels, salvation is a mystery.
    1 Pet 1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
  • Next, Acts 20:21 and Acts 26:20

• In the first one, they are turning from unbelief in God and unbelief in the Lord Jesus Christ TO belief in God and Jesus Christ.
    In the second one, they are to repent (from unbelief) and turn to God (in belief) and do works meet (worthy of) repentance. So when a person gets saved they are commanded to do good works because it is their duty, and it is the least they can do for the great salvation God has given them. Ephesians 2:8-10 also say something very similar.
  • Why complicate something that is so simple to see in scripture. Repentance is obviously a necessary part of salvation. SO...knowing this, lets look at just one example, although there are many, many, many more.
  • Acts 16:30-31
  • And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
  • And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
  • Now, why didnt they tell him to "repent"? Isn't it NECESSARY for salvation? Jesus said it was. John the Baptist preached it. The Bible clearly teaches it. So, I ask again, why didnt they tell him to repent? The answer is simple. In order to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ" you have to turn from your unbelief to believing. So by saying to BELIEVE, they are in essense saying to REPENT.

Forget what "way of the master" says and believe what the Bible teaches about itself. You cant define terms based on what others say they mean. Interpret their definitions from the way the Bible gives them. The Bible clearly teaches that biblical repentance when in reference to salvation is turning from unbelief to belief. It is NOT turning from sins.

Amen!! I am saved. The bible said it, I believe it. Jesus did it, I accept it. Even if I do still "live like the devil". Salvation is simple and that is the beauty of it. A child does not need to know the doctrine of salvation to be saved - they know that Jesus died for them, they believe it, they accept it and all they need to "understand" about it is it that it can only be through Him and it is done - remember 1 Cor 1:27 - salvation is meant to be simple and we men don't like that. We want to say we had a part in in it by saying we "repent" of our sins - that we can for that second stop sinning and make right with God. We like to complicate things a little too much methinks. Put things back into our own hands.

KJV1611 - best description I have ever heard for salvation - well done!!!

• Members

(KJV1611) says = First, you are defining "repentance" in reference to salvation as "turning from sin" and "being sorrowful for sin" and "surrendering to God". Show me SCRIPTURE that teaches ANY of these definitions.

Sorrow = 2 Corinthians 7:10 "For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death."

If sorrow "works repentance" then it cannot BE a part of repentance.

Turning = Acts 26:20 "...that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance."

The word "meet" simply means "suitable" or "worthy of." For example, a "help meet" for Adam, would be someone suitable for Adam in helping him, or a help worthy of being with man. The animals were not found to be suitable help meets for Adam. Notice the order of Acts 26:20, the repent (turn from unbelief) and turn to God. THEN they are to do works that are suitable or worthy of the repentance that they just had.

The same idea is displayed here in Ephesians 2:8-10
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Most people never quote the last verse (verse 10) when quoting Ephesians, but it says we are saved by faith, not of work, but are supposed to do good works AFTER we are saved. Those would be the same thing as "works meet for repentance." They are works worthy of the repentance that we have had, which is our turning from unbelief to belief. If a person turns from unbelief to belief in Christ then they are to bring forth works worthy of that conversion.

Surrender = Romans 10:9-13 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus ...thou shalt be saved." "...for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

These verses teaches turning from unbelief to belief (which is repentance). That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Where in the above verses does it say to surrender your life to Christ? The word is not there. It is not implied. The thief on the cross was not told to "surrender" when he simply asked God in faith to remember him. The jailer who asked Paul and Silas what he had to do to be saved was NOT told to surrender, but to BELIEVE. The Ethiopian eunuch was not asked if he had "surrendered" by Philip, but told him if thou BELIEVEST with all thine heart, thou mayest. Notice that the Gospel (death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ) does not contain anything about someone surrendering, turning from sin, etc. It is simply to BELIEVE it.
To them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that BELIEVE on his name.

When a lost person is turning to God, what are they turning from?

They are simply turning from their unbelief to believe in Jesus Christ as Saviour.
They didnt believe on Him before, but now they do. That means they realize he is God, he died for their sins, was buried, rose from the grave, and will save them if they call on him in faith ALL by himself with no help from man whatsoever. It is ALL Jesus from start to finish with salvation. Man simply puts the faith that God gave him in Jesus, and God saves him.

My response to your comments is in RED above.

Jesus dying on the cross was to pay for your sin and my sin. Those "sins" you are saying you are required to "turn from"...they are already paid for by the blood of Christ. He doesnt need the lost sinner to "turn from sin" "give up sin" surrender" "etc". He wants the lost sinner to BELIEVE. Trust CHRIST to pay for those sins. He'll clean the sinner up, and doesnt need our help. The sinner simply believes, God saves, and God will make the change in the person.

• Members

Amen!! I am saved. The bible said it, I believe it. Jesus did it, I accept it. Even if I do still "live like the devil". Salvation is simple and that is the beauty of it. A child does not need to know the doctrine of salvation to be saved - they know that Jesus died for them, they believe it, they accept it and all they need to "understand" about it is it that it can only be through Him and it is done - remember 1 Cor 1:27 - salvation is meant to be simple and we men don't like that. We want to say we had a part in in it by saying we "repent" of our sins - that we can for that second stop sinning and make right with God. We like to complicate things a little too much methinks. Put things back into our own hands.

KJV1611 - best description I have ever heard for salvation - well done!!!

I'm glad it helped. As a kid I was so confused on the topic of repentance. I had asked my pastor what it meant, and he had given me one of those "middle of the road" type answers that pastors like to give when they arent sure. You hear the term "repent of your sins" so often during preaching that you often think that the phrase must be in the Bible. To my amazement, its nowhere to be found in the Bible! I think most people use the term because they have heard it and it sounds at first glance like its okay to say. Often they understand that it is Jesus who does ALL the saving ALL by himself, but still use the term repent of your sins out of habit or not knowing the correct definition of repentance. It's the ones who actually go out of their way to define it as "turning from sins" that I worry about. Those are people like the "way of the master" and the Lordship Salvation crowd. They want to preach clean living before Christ. When it's Christ first, then clean living. They tell people they have to give up things before they can be saved, yet all throughout the Bible its get saved, and THEN give up things.

• Members

So...Why is repenting of one sin (unbelief) not a "work", yet repenting of many is?

If you repent (180 degree turn) from stealing to not stealing, does that save you? What about if you repent of murder? You go from murdering to not murdering, are you saved now? What if you repent of every sin you can think of and turn to not doing them, are you saved now? According to the Bible you are still LOST no matter how "clean" you may try to get your life by turning from your sins.

Now, on the opposite side of the argument. If you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as your Saviour, accept his finished work on the cross, and trust him to pay for all your sin all by himself, are you saved THEN? The answer is YES. Well, what did you have to DO in order to BELIEVE? You had to TURN 180 degrees around from your UNBELIEF to BELIEF in Christ. This is what repentance is when in reference to salvation. Why is it required? Because God requires FAITH. Over and over again its BELIEVE, BELIEVE, BELIEVE!

I'll try and be back later with some good quotes from Leonard Ravenhill on the subject.

Do you consider Jonah 3:10 as evidence of repentance being a work? What about John not having any mention of repentance - do you consider that an argument for your position?

Repent is just a (180 degree turn or 180 degree change of mind). It can be in reference to works, salvation, or just about anything. The context determines the TO and FROM of the turning. In Jonah 3:10 God turns away (repented) from the evil he was going to do and doesnt do it. The reason he did this is because the people turned (repented) from their evil way. Of course this story is not talking about SALVATION of their souls. It is just talking about God not doing evil to them for their evil deeds. And yes, they cleaned up their lives, so in this case it is a work.

As far as the Gospel of John, repentance is mentioned many times.
If you are referring to 1,2, and 3rd John, in order to BELIEVE you have to turn from unbelief (which is repentance) so it is used indirectly.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God
Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

God bless,
Joel ><>.

• Members

I'm glad it helped. As a kid I was so confused on the topic of repentance. I had asked my pastor what it meant, and he had given me one of those "middle of the road" type answers that pastors like to give when they arent sure. You hear the term "repent of your sins" so often during preaching that you often think that the phrase must be in the Bible. To my amazement, its nowhere to be found in the Bible! I think most people use the term because they have heard it and it sounds at first glance like its okay to say. Often they understand that it is Jesus who does ALL the saving ALL by himself, but still use the term repent of your sins out of habit or not knowing the correct definition of repentance. It's the ones who actually go out of their way to define it as "turning from sins" that I worry about. Those are people like the "way of the master" and the Lordship Salvation crowd. They want to preach clean living before Christ. When it's Christ first, then clean living. They tell people they have to give up things before they can be saved, yet all throughout the Bible its get saved, and THEN give up things.

I have always known this - the Word is clear on salvation. It is men who want to have something do with their own salvation that complicate things. Was just nice to see someone put it clearly down in words - If anyone can not see the truth in this then they really need to go and spend some time studying it without their own interpretations or those of others. Edited by 2Tim215

• Members

Repentance is not a change of life; it is a change of mind that results in a change of life (Acts 26:20). It is a surrender (1 Thess. 1:9). “Believing” without surrender is not salvation.

http://www.wayoflife...24a8a0-914.html

God's Word says BELIEVING IS SALVATION. No mention of Surrender. I'll take God's Word on it over man's.

Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.

And many more believed because of his own word;

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

As he spake these words, many believed on him.

And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.

And many believed on him there.

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.

Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him

I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

And it came to pass in Iconium, that they went both together into the synagogue of the Jews, and so spake, that a great multitude both of the Jews and also of the Greeks believed.

And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to usward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

• Members

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

You see, to obey the Gospel is TO BELIEVE. Not to surrender. Not to turn from sin. BUT TO BELIEVE.

For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar;

YOU don't have to believe it just takes BELIEVING, but it doesn't change what God says.

Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe?

• Members

As a kid I was so confused on the topic of repentance. I had asked my pastor what it meant, and he had given me one of those "middle of the road" type answers that pastors like to give when they arent sure. You hear the term "repent of your sins" so often during preaching that you often think that the phrase must be in the Bible. To my amazement, its nowhere to be found in the Bible! I think most people use the term because they have heard it and it sounds at first glance like its okay to say. Often they understand that it is Jesus who does ALL the saving ALL by himself, but still use the term repent of your sins out of habit or not knowing the correct definition of repentance. It's the ones who actually go out of their way to define it as "turning from sins" that I worry about. Those are people like the "way of the master" and the Lordship Salvation crowd. They want to preach clean living before Christ. When it's Christ first, then clean living. They tell people they have to give up things before they can be saved, yet all throughout the Bible its get saved, and THEN give up things.

"Mark 1:14-15 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel."

"Mark 6:12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent."

"Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."

"Luke 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent."

"Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;"

"Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance."

"Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,"

I think the scriptures are pretty clear that repentance is a prerequisite before salvation can take place. The only "question" is what repentance is. It isn't cleaning yourself up and getting rid of sin in your life. It isn't exactly the same thing as belief and faith either though it is related. Rather it is both a mental and heart rejection of your current state/will/direction and a desire/willingness to align yourself with Gods will/way in so far as you are able to understand it at the time. I think someone mentioned that the philippian jailer was simply told "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." This is true. The reason for that though is that there is little need to wonder about whether a individual is at the point of repentance when that individual has fallen down trembling in front of you and is asking YOU what he needs to do in order to be saved rather than you trying to convince him he needs to be saved. Sort of a no brainer that that such a individual is very ready to believe, though they did apparently expound upon it a bit further. Scripturally the preaching of repentance is directed most often to those who are either flat rejecting God or only giving lip service with a heart that is not really ready to be right with God. The danger of not mentioning repentance at all is that it can give false assurance to those who are only mentally concurring with the gospel without a willing heart. Basically just giving lip service. Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

"Mark 1:14-15 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel."

"Mark 6:12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent."

"Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."

"Luke 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent."

"Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;"

"Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance."

"Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,"

I think the scriptures are pretty clear that repentance is a prerequisite before salvation can take place. The only "question" is what repentance is. It isn't cleaning yourself up and getting rid of sin in your life. It isn't exactly the same thing as belief and faith either though it is related. Rather it is both a mental and heart rejection of your current state/will/direction and a desire/willingness to align yourself with Gods will/way in so far as you are able to understand it at the time. I think someone mentioned that the philippian jailer was simply told "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." This is true. The reason for that though is that there is little need to wonder about whether a individual is at the point of repentance when that individual has fallen down trembling in front of you and is asking YOU what he needs to do in order to be saved rather than you trying to convince him he needs to be saved. Sort of a no brainer that that such a individual is very ready to believe, though they did apparently expound upon it a bit further. Scripturally the preaching of repentance is directed most often to those who are either flat rejecting God or only giving lip service with a heart that is not really ready to be right with God. The danger of not mentioning repentance at all is that it can give false assurance to those who are only mentally concurring with the gospel without a willing heart. Basically just giving lip service.

The scripture is clear on defining repentance. It is always a 180 degree turn. In reference to salvation, the only 180 degree turn that saves is turning from unbelief to belief. Abandoning your old religious beliefs, philosophies, etc. and turning to belief in Christ alone. Philip did not ask the ethiopian eunuch if he had repented. He said if thou believest with all thine heart. When a person believes, that means they have turned from their UNBELIEF. So they HAVE repented by turning from unbelief to belief in Christ.