• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Insufficiency and Error of the Fundamentalist Movement

• Members

The following is excerpted from our book New Evangelicalism: Its History, Characteristics, and Fruit, which was first published in 1995.

Let me emphasize my own conviction that old-line evangelicalism and fundamentalism at their best were biblically deficient. I am a fundamentalist insofar as I believe in biblical dogmatism and militancy for the truth and separation from error, but I am more than a fundamentalist. The goal of my Christian life and ministry is not to be a good fundamentalist (or even to be a good Baptist). My goal is to be faithful to Christ and His Word in all particulars. Following are two weaknesses in fundamentalism as a movement:

The first weakness is the transdenominational character that has characterized fundamentalism. I do not accept the philosophy that limits the basis of fellowship to a narrow list of “cardinal” doctrines, such as the infallibility of Scripture and the deity of Christ. While the Bible does indicate that some doctrines are more important than others (e.g., Matthew 23:23), all teaching of the Bible is important and is to be taken seriously. Timothy was instructed not to allow any other doctrine than that which Paul had delivered to him (1 Tim. 1:3; 6:13, 20; 2 Tim. 2:2). Paul was concerned with the “whole counsel of God” (Acts 20:27). This position on doctrine does not allow me to overlook denominational differences such as the mode of baptism, the manner of the Lord’s Supper, eternal security, the woman’s role in the ministry, or the interpretation of prophecy. I can accept as true Christians those who differ with me on such things, because these are not issues of “damnable heresy” (2 Pet. 2:1), but I cannot have joint ministry with them, because I do not believe the Bible allows it.

View the full article

• Members
This position on doctrine does not allow me to overlook denominational differences such as the mode of baptism, the manner of the Lord’s Supper, eternal security, the woman’s role in the ministry, or the interpretation of prophecy. I can accept as true Christians those who differ with me on such things, because these are not issues of “damnable heresy” (2 Pet. 2:1), but I cannot have joint ministry with them, because I do not believe the Bible allows it.

I have to disagree with this one. Those who teach and preach that we are not eternally secure are promoting a salvation by works. That is heresy.

• Members

I have to disagree with this one. Those who teach and preach that we are not eternally secure are promoting a salvation by works. That is heresy.

I guess it depends on when they tell the "prospect" about it. I fear for those that grow up in a church that doesn't teach eternal security, if they grow up hearing that they can lose it their whole life then they're much more likely to not trust Christ completly.

Great preachers such as John Wesley and Bud Robinson were mightily used of God. They didn't preach works salvation. Those that heard them came down and trusted Christ geniunely, but they didn't teach eternal security.

• Members

I guess it depends on when they tell the "prospect" about it. I fear for those that grow up in a church that doesn't teach eternal security, if they grow up hearing that they can lose it their whole life then they're much more likely to not trust Christ completly.

Great preachers such as John Wesley and Bud Robinson were mightily used of God. They didn't preach works salvation. Those that heard them came down and trusted Christ geniunely, but they didn't teach eternal security.

I see the danger Heartstrings is pointing to but I agree that it depends upon what the person believed when became a Christian, or perhaps only thought he did.

For instance, I was born again in Christ before I ever heard a word about eternal security or the idea that one could lose their salvation. I was biblically born again so my trust was fully in Christ, yet when I first came across the idea one could lose their salvation I was worried! Thankfully the Lord brought me to some solid teaching on eternal security, but before that the old devil had me questioning my salvation, how could I know I was still saved and such. Even though I was concerned for a time as to whether that teaching might be true, I was still saved and as soon as I was brought to biblical teaching on eternal security the Holy Ghost immediately gave me peace on the matter from then on.

All that to say, if a person becomes a Christian believing at the time that they have to do something to gain and maintain their position as a Christian, then it's very well possible they are not even a biblical Christian. If they and their church are holding to such a teaching this then I would agree with Heartstrings.

If the church may believe a person can lose their salvation yet present the biblical Gospel when soul winning, without any taint of needing works to be saved or remain saved, then at least in that regard they are doing well. I would still believe I should try to help folks get out of a church that tried to convince those biblically saved that they must now uphold a certain standard (works) in order to remain saved. That's a recipe for disaster and for folks living a defeated life striving in their own strength to meet a man-made standard rather than truly following Christ.

• Members

I could be wrong but, I don't believe the article is referring so much to individuals who may or may not have the right teaching. I think's about yoking up with other institutions such as CHURCHES which promote false doctrine.

True, I was just rambling along both sides of the track! Like I said, I agree with what you posted regarding a church that teaches such as part of their evangelism and regular teachings.