• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

heartstrings

Bluegrass anyone?

I have a question about country/bluegrass music in Church...I have done a lot of buegrass/gospel type music and there is one song that comes up a lot ..It is Hank Williams "I saw the light"...Is this song appropriate to do in Church or any church group such as a Sunday School Class?...

I have a question about country/bluegrass music in Church...I have done a lot of buegrass/gospel type music and there is one song that comes up a lot ..It is Hank Williams "I saw the light"...Is this song appropriate to do in Church or any church group such as a Sunday School Class?...

That's up to each church to decide.

Hank Williams is a sad case. He wrote this song, & died an alcoholic. According to what I've read a pastor talked with him just a few weeks prior to his death about his soul, & he stated, "I just can't see that Light, I know I sing about it, but I can't see it."

Some of the singers will sing Why Me Lord, by Kris Kristofferson in church services, & think they've done a great deed.

One singer I know that's asked to come to several churches in our area for special singing, his wife gave me one of his CD's hoping I would invite her husband to sing at our church. Of all things, he had Kris Kristofferson's 'Why Me Lord' on it, & a couple more that I would not care to hear at church services.

Welcome bootman!

I believe that Hank Williams was more "Country" than "Bluegrass". I don't believe that Hank Williams played or sang any Bluegrass music.

Even though Hank Williams rejected that "Light" of which he wrote, and died a lost alcoholic, I believe God used that song "I Saw The Light" to cause lost souls to "see that Light", which Hank Williams rejected.

Whether that song is appropriate to sing in church and/or Sunday School is at the discretion and discernment of the individual local church. Might be a good idea to learn the history of some of the music which is played and sung in the church.

All,
About Hank Williams:
I agree with what has been said here about his life and how he died...I have never sung his song "I saw the light". Several times I have tried to justify it..I guess I was just looking for someone to tell me what I already knew. I think I would choose Hank's song over anything Kris Kristopherson ever wrote though. I don't think Hank was ever Anti-American and I can't say that about Kristopherson...I first mentioned Bluegrass because I have heard "I saw the light" at bluegrass pickings even though it is not bluegrass. I am just a picker and sing some in Sunday School and at some musicals here and there..Just a life long hobby...I do the old stuff I guess because I am getting old..

Edited by bootman

Something you might not have known about Hank Williams.

He developed a serious problem with alcohol, morphine and other painkillers prescribed for him to ease the severe back pain caused by his spina bifida.

I have a copy of both hymnals we use, neither one of them has this song in them. But I have seen hymn books with this song & I believe I remember it being sang in church services.

Its sad he led such a life, & to think, this song he wrote makes it seems he knew better. Alcohol & drugs sure has been the downfall of many, especially in show business.

I Saw the Light

I wandered so aimless life filled with sin
I wouldn't let my dear saviour in
Then Jesus came like a stranger in the night
Praise the Lord I saw the light.
I saw the light I saw the light
No more darkness no more night
Now I'm so happy no sorrow in sight

Just like a blind man I wandered along
Worries and fears I claimed for my own
Then like the blind man that God gave back his sight

I was a fool to wander and a-stray
Straight is the gate and narrow the way
Now I have traded the wrong for the right

I've read a preacher claim Hank Williams did come to Christ and spoke with him later about his battle with booze shortly before he died.

I've heard and sang "I Saw the Light" before, but never in a church.

I heard the opposite, I believe it was in a recent issue of the Sword of the Lord, giving an example of what drinking will do for a person. He also had a daughter born 5 days after his death, but it was not his wife that had this baby girl. they were divorced.

I know some bluegrass musicians also perform "country" songs. On a number of occasions I have left a concert or jam session when other musicians were starting to play the 'drinking' 'cheating' country stuff. I just don't want to be around it. But it's not always the instrument, nor the 'style' of playing that is ungodly. It's the words and the WAY it is played that makes the difference. They use pianos in bars; are we going to take the piano out of the church house just because of that? If you don't invite me to play at your church, I'm OK with that, but alot of good churches do schedule us to play for them.

I love this song, done here by the Primitive Quartet. I'm going to try learning this one tonight. Just ignore the photo. It's some kind of commercial I guess.

This one made me think of my Dad...he loved bluegrass gospel, and he would have loved listening to this.

I love this song, done here by the Primitive Quartet. I'm going to try learning this one tonight. Just ignore the photo. It's some kind of commercial I guess.

The Primitive Quartet is one of my favorite Bluegrass gospel groups. Thanks for sharing this heartstrings!

I know some bluegrass musicians also perform "country" songs. On a number of occasions I have left a concert or jam session when other musicians were starting to play the 'drinking' 'cheating' country stuff. I just don't want to be around it. But it's not always the instrument, nor the 'style' of playing that is ungodly. It's the words and the WAY it is played that makes the difference. They use pianos in bars; are we going to take the piano out of the church house just because of that? If you don't invite me to play at your church, I'm OK with that, but alot of good churches do schedule us to play for them.

I live right in the middle of Bluegrass country here in Virginia. There's a big festival nearby in Mineral, VA every year. I like most Bluegrass music. I've seen Ralph Stanley in concert. I really like the Smoky Mountain Hymns series but that's really not true Bluegrass. Edited by Wilchbla