• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

heartstrings

Bluegrass anyone?

Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver is one of my favorite Bluegrass groups. I liked the song. I love Bluegrass gospel music. Another bluegrass gospel group I really like is the Primitive Quartet...also the Easter Brothers.

The country sound masquerading as gospel music. I dare anyone to find a testimony of real salvation on their website (other than someone saying that they were saved at a concert)! If this is what bluegrass music is all about then I don't want any part of it. They ain't Christians and their music ain't gospel!

Edited by brosmith

The country sound masquerading as gospel music. I dare anyone to find a testimony of real salvation on their website (other than someone saying that they were saved at a concert)! If this is what bluegrass music is all about then I don't want any part of it. They ain't Christians and their music ain't gospel!

In the piece I posted, I see nothing dishonoring to God on three counts; unless there is a touch of carnality. But you may have a point there; they may not be saved and it would be wise to use discernment when choosing any of their music. Does that mean all folks who play bluegrass are lost people? The Bible doesn't mention any "gospel" songs anyway. It says......

Ephesians 5:18And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
19Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Psalms

Origin: before 900; Middle English psalm(e), s(e)alm(e), psame,Old English ps(e)alm, sealm< Late Latin psalmus< Greek psalmóssong sung to the harp, orig., a plucking, as of strings, akin to psálleinto pluck, pull, play (the harp)Related forms
psalm·ic, adjective

Hymns
c.1000, from O.Fr. ymne and O.E. ymen, both from L. hymnus "song of praise," from Gk. hymnos "song or ode in praise of gods or heroes," used in Septuagint for various Heb. words meaning "song praising God."

Spiritual (songs)
"of or concerning the spirit" (especially in religious aspects), c.1300, from O.Fr. spirituel (12c.), from L. spiritualis, from spiritus "of breathing, of the spirit" (see spirit). Meaning "of or concerning the church" is attested from mid-14c.

Put that all together.........you should use instruments when possible, (Psalm 150)your music should sound as melodious and as beautiful as your skill allows, the words of your song should praise and honor God, and it should be spiritual and not carnal. If it magnifies the "flesh" instead of the Spirit, then it's not Biblical. Edited by heartstrings

But you may have a point there; they may not be saved and it would be wise to use discernment when choosing any of their music. Does that mean all folks who play bluegrass are lost people? The Bible doesn't mention any "gospel" songs anyway.

I never said all bluegrass musicians are lost. I personally think bluegrass music is just one step removed from country music and at times it is country music. Country music is music for the unsaved crowd not for God's people. Admitting that they may not be saved should be enough to tell you to stay away from their music. By the way, I referred to gospel music because that is what they think they are playing and singing. At best, it is a false gospel. At worst, it is worldly, secular music sprinkled with a few nice sounding religious words in order to deceive those who have no discernment. Edited by brosmith

I never said all bluegrass musicians are lost. I personally think bluegrass music is just one step removed from country music and at times it is country music. Country music is music for the unsaved crowd not for God's people. Admitting that they may not be saved should be enough to tell you to stay away from their music. By the way, I referred to gospel music because that is what they think they are playing and singing. At best, it is a false gospel. At worst, it is worldly, secular music sprinkled with a few nice sounding religious words in order to deceive those who have no discernment.

Perhaps you could post some of your preferred music.

There are many very good Bluegrass Gospel groups which play and sing music which glorifies God. IMO, alot of the Southern Gospel music which is played today sounds much more like country than good old-fashioned Bluegrass Gospel music. Here is a video of one of my favorite Bluegrass Gospel groups, the Primitive Quartet, singing "My Hope Is In The Blood". I also enjoy listening to Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, the Pell Brothers, and the Easter Brothers.

The cadence is more "newgrass" than traditional "bluegrass"

We do a little of what some might consider "newgrass" along with some other forms. Stringed instruments are very versatile.
We use some of our "bluegrass" instruments to do this song, (except the banjo) and on this one, instead of a six string, I play a 12 stringed guitar "fingerstyle".

!

A Tender Heart

Take me now, Lord Jesus, take me;
I would give my heart to Thee.
Thy devoted servant make me,
Only Thine to be.

Savior, while my heart is tender,
I would give Thee every part.
All my talents I surrender;
I am Thine, Lord, here's my heart.

Use me now, Lord Jesus, use me,
As I tell of Calvary.
May Thy Spirit move within me,
Bringing souls to Thee.

I am Thine, Lord, here's my heart.

Send me now, Lord Jesus, send me,
Lead me in Thy perfect way.
Thy command shall always guide me;
Gladly I obey.

I am Thine, Lord, here's my heart. Edited by heartstrings

I completely agree, for most bluegrass groups are generally very worldly. I would not want it in our church.

The John Marshall Family is a great Christian bluegrass group. I love the Smokey Mountain Hymns too.

Typical assumption that fiddle (violin), mandolin, guitar, banjo =bluegrass. Case in point: "We'll work till Jesus Comes" - the Marshall's don't change the tempo, meter, cadence (technically not the same things though closely related) of the song but use the aforementioned instruments.

Many of their songs are a capella and most of the ones that Julie Montrose (one of the girls) wrote are not even close to bluegrass ["What's Wrong with My Children(Why Won't They Praise Me)].

Not to say that I approve of everything they have ever sung, the "Fifty, Nifty" trash they did for Independence Day should have been declared "unclean" and put outside the gate.

Our family has a lot of fun with bluegrass music...husband plays string bass and daughter plays a mean fiddle. But in our opinion, bluegrass music isn't appropriate for worship services...just like polka music or Irish jigs wouldn't be appropriate for worship.

The John Marshall Family is a great Christian bluegrass group. I love the Smokey Mountain Hymns too.

I have 3 CDs of the John Marshall Family and they are great. I think one of their best songs they do is "The Bible Bookstore". I have tons of Smoky Mountain Hymns...beautiful instrumentals!

We had a Bluegrass Gospel band (they are a family band) at our church a couple of years ago called "Long Way To Go" Edited by LindaR

Some of the best singing I've heard in church was done Acappella. To many have way to loud of music, & you cannot hear the words. Of course some of them may want it that way, 1. They cannot sing very good, 2. they don't want you to hear the words for if you did you would not listen to them or would tell them they should not use such words.

For someone singing a song they do not need many music instruments nor loud music for it to be 'very good' nor a big sound system. That is unless its a large area or building.

Typical assumption that fiddle (violin), mandolin, guitar, banjo =bluegrass. Case in point: "We'll work till Jesus Comes" - the Marshall's don't change the tempo, meter, cadence (technically not the same things though closely related) of the song but use the aforementioned instruments.

Many of their songs are a capella and most of the ones that Julie Montrose (one of the girls) wrote are not even close to bluegrass ["What's Wrong with My Children(Why Won't They Praise Me)].

Not to say that I approve of everything they have ever sung, the "Fifty, Nifty" trash they did for Independence Day should have been declared "unclean" and put outside the gate.

I'm assuming they're Bluegrass since that's what they call themselves.

Everyone is dressed decent and godly. I like that..... That's how it should be.

What do you think about this worship service? At about the 6:30 minute mark notice, as the little girl in the white skirt falters on her Bible verse, the others begin clapping to encourage her. Do you realize that encouraging your brother is one of the elements of true worship? .

Edited by heartstrings

One of the things that needs to be recognized in music is the affect of culture on music. Though culture does not always make a particular type of music "evil." it can drag music into the same or a similar category with "the wicked." As posted above, one said, Blue Grass is one step away from Country and Western. This is true and this is the point I"m making. Most of us here are conservative, white, baby boomer, or post-baby boomer, somewhat rural-life, oriented, family-oriented, sometimes Southern (not denomination,), baptist, people. For us to here Country and Western oriented music does not make us flinch much because of our cultural moorings. However, let someone fire up some Gospel Hip-Hop and we'll become very, at least, irritated. Why? Because of our cultural leanings.

True, not all Blue Grass is "evil," BUT, it has its ties to the wicked Country and Western world, which is no longer about the Country, i.e., cows, farms, rivers, mountains, or the West, i.e. cowboys, tumblin' tumbleweeds, etc. I live in the Nashville area, home of the Grand Ole Opry, and I can tell you firsthand, as a conservative Bible-believer, this is a wicked city and the C&W industry is rife with evil. They sing Friday night to a drunkin crowd of revelers, about the Good Friends in Low Places, or, (for the Blue Grass crowd,) Rocky Top, and at First Baptist on Sunday morning, Revive Us Again.

Isaiah 5
[20] Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Likening it unto food, Gospel Blue Grass is cake. Cake tastes good, my flesh likes it, and it is not particularly "evil" to eat it. However, if I decided to eat cake all or most of the time, I would become sick, disease would have an "avenue" to attack my body. Likewise, Gospel Blue Grass is spiritual cake. It akin to it's sugary cousin Country. If I eat A LOT of cake, I may also be drawn to candy (C&W.) And, disease, sin, associated with the C&W industry lies at the door.

So, what's the otherside?

Eph. 5
[19] Speaking to yourselves inpsalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Col. 3
[16] Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another inpsalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

If I eat from this buffet, I accomplish three (or more) things:
1. I practice "biblical" music.
2. I remove "doubtful" things from my life.
3. I remove stumbling blocks that might cause my weaker brother to sin.

Music is not about what "moves" me, but about what brings clean, biblical, worship the the Most High God. We chide the worldly crowd for making God our "buddy", you know, Good Ole God, but we do the same when we spiff it up with a country beat and claim how when we get to heaven we are going to ". . . walk up and pat Jesus on the back!" No, Clem, we aren't going to pat HIM on the back.

Phil. 2
[9] Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
[10] That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
[11] And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
[12] Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

Isaiah 57
[14] And shall say, Cast ye up, cast ye up, prepare the way, take up the stumblingblock out of the way of my people.
[15] For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

The church of the Living God has become too familiar with God and many, even in "fundamental" circles are guilty of bringing God down to our level. Yes, he condescended to men of low estate, but he did so to bring them up! Should we trifle in a music genre that is, if you'll be honest, is a gray area, or should we stop drawing lines between good and evil and start making gaps so that a lost and dying world will know what a Christian really looks like?

Just some thoughts.

Bro. Ben

Ben, Its quite surprising at the number of church people that listen to Country & Western music & other ungodly music through the week, them are in church Sunday morning, & if you say anything about that type of music its as if you just commit treason against this United States, & surely you must not know a single thing about God, the Bible, & what God expects out of His people.

And for those that play Bluegrass, generally gospel songs is only a minor portion of the songs they play & sing.

And I still think that many of those that are in Southern Gospel, & many of the lesser known groups are those that never made it in the big league of Country & Western music, & or other music still with hopes of crossing over into the big money.

Oh at the many different ways we put ourselves in the path of temptation, music is surely one of them

The kind of Bluegrass Gospel I'm familiar with is the traditional style of music. The songs they sing are Gospel hymns. It doesn't sound like Country music (especially nothing like todays Country) and it doesn't sound like Southern Gospel.

There are more "modern" sounding Bluegrass groups but they are not true Bluegrass.

Listening to traditional Bluegrass Gospel never makes me want to do anything other than worship and praise God. The music and lyrics are so much different than any other form of music that it never makes me think of some secular style of music.

I don't listen to as much music as I used to but on occasion I'll listen to a little traditional Bluegrass Gospel hymns.

That said, what passes today for Christian bluegrass, country, Southern Gospel or the pop or hip-hop stuff isn't something I want to listen to.