• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

To all candidates

• Members

I think this article by Karl Denninger applies to all the presidential candidates, and indeed to all of this world's politicians. The powerful steal all the cream and the rest get skim milk. A line from some old T.V. show is, "If you do the crime, you do the time". Well not in the world of big business and finance or government!

Someone tell this guy that this is twice please... oh wait, that's my job, so I will:

When governme
nt
tries to pick winners and losers, the inevitable consequence is corruption. Yes, corruption. If n
ot
in a legal sense, certainly in a moral sense.

Uh, corruption is the legal sense. When it's not illegal we call it "lobbying."

"Right now, subpoenas are flying, hearings are being held, and accusations are flooding the airwaves over the Solyndra deal. That may be appropriate. Something
ob
viously smells r
ot
ten when $500 million in loan guara
nt
ees go to a single business with clear political connections. That would be scandalous under any circumstances, but when a bankrupt governme
nt
underwrites a bankrupt business with dollars it doesn't really have, it is really scandalous."

No kidding.

But this one deal is n
ot
the issue. If someone broke the law, they should be punished. If people in governme
nt
be
nt
the rules, they should be fired.
But Congress shouldn't be spending its time and our money trying to prove that, when the governme
nt
is passing out goodies to the tune of $500 million, corruption happens. Anyone with a brain knows that to be the case, and we don't need a bunch of hearings and subpoenas to docume
nt
the
ob
vious.

Dead wrong.
We need a bunch of hearings and subpoenas to refer corruption to prosecutors, and when the Executive is implicated we need to appoint special prosecutors since the Attorney General works for the Executive.
Gary ran this back on my Blogtalk show some time ago. This was before he was a candidate, but I spent the entire hour trying to get him to say "Stop the looting and start prosecuting" in about every way I could without stuffing the words in his mouth or asking him if he agreed with it. You can listen to the show in the archives if you'd like.
He failed the test then and he's just failed it again.
I've been asked why I didn't support him on the forum already. This is why: He refuses to call for the people who did unlawful things to go straight to the federal penitentiary where they belong.

I've been trying to figure out what the "Occupy" pr
ot
esters are pr
ot
esting, so this week, while in New York, I took the time to visit the pr
ot
esters and just talk to them. What I found is pretty straightforward: They are angry about a system that is being gamed for the benefit of a connected few. I also concluded that it is a mistake to dismiss these pr
ot
ests, as the Establishme
nt
is trying to do, as a bunch of malco
nt
e
nt
s.

The fact is, Americans are angry, and Wall Street may be as good a target as any. Why shouldn't we be pr
ot
esting the fact that our tax dollars were used to bail out AIG and General M
ot
ors and a bunch of banks, while the rest of us -- who aren't too big to fail -- are left to sink or swim in an economy the politicians have strangled with deficit spending, over-regulation and punitive taxation?

They should be angry. But make no mistake: Much of what happened is black-letter felonious.
Specifically, it is a crime to:

• Sell securities as "good" when you know they're "junk"and other similar adjectives. That's securities fraud. It's both a civil offense (someone got screwed) and a crime.
  • Robosign documents where you swear you have personal knowledge when you do not. That is perjury, and in most states it is a felony. This is not a "mistake" when it happens by the tens or even hundreds of thousands of occurrences. And it does not matter whether the homeowner was paying his mortgage or not: Corruption of the legal process is in nearly all cases a crime.
  • Submit knowingly-false financial statements. This was made a criminal, not just civil, offense under Sarbanes-Oxley. There have been multiple occasions where publicly-traded financial institutions and other firms have filed utter junk and nobody has been indicted for it. A financial institution that files a 10-Q or 10-K and then a month later goes under and their "asset values" are shown to be worth 30% less than they claimed a month ago is one such example. To believe that this formerly-filed report was accurate you have to believe that these values reported deteriorated by that amount within a single month. Good luck.
  • Launder money. No, really? Then explain why Wachovia got a deferred prosecution agreement instead of the firm and every officer aware of what was going on didn't get a date with Bubba? You or I would if we ran money for drug cartels.

I can come up with literally dozens more, but these will do. None have been indicted and prosecuted. No handcuffs -- at all -- and Gary still wants to give them all a pass.

NO.
The OWS folks are right to refuse to put forward a set of "demands", this is not about "partisanship" or "trying to manipulate." It is and should be about candidates, especially candidates for President, standing up and saying in a loud voice: STOP THE LOOTING AND START PROSECUTING.
The people want (legal) necktie parties and they're entitled to them. The Rule of Law is not about certain people being able to get away with crimes while others cannot. More importantly the only deterrent that works is locking these high-class people up for a very, very long time; how many high-flying bank executives would be selling junk loans as good paper if their buddy down the hall got 20 years in a cell for doing the same thing?

There is something really wrong when the Preside
nt
of the United States describes a $500 million loan guara
nt
ee that we
nt
horribly wrong as a bad bet. The issue isn't that it was a bad bet. The issue is that it is absurd that a bankrupt governme
nt
is placing any bets. Period.

It wasn't a bad bet. It was a scam. At minimum the restructuring of existing debt so that the private investors had priority is an outrage and given the fact that it appears that the government knew the firm was in financial trouble at the time it granted the loan it looks like nothing more or less than a flat-out looting operation for the benefit of those private investors who were about to lose their money!
If that's what happened then it's not a "bad bet", it's a crime and we the people have a right to know if that is indeed what happened.
If it is, then the guilty parties -- all of them -- must stand trial before a jury of their peers and if convicted be sentenced to prison for stealing $500 million.
As for Governor Johnson he has disqualified himself for public office -- any public office -- unless he immediately, publicly and continually from this day forward calls for investigation, indictment, prosecution and imprisonment for ALL persons who committed crimes related to not only Solyndra but also each and every bankster involved in THEIR scams.
NOTHING LESS WILL DO.

God bless,
Larry

• Members

How often do we see congressmen or big businessmen cuffed, hauled to jail in a squad car and prosecuted for their crimes?

Power and money buys protection from having to abide by the law as average citizens are expected to do.

Ron Paul has called these deals unconstitutional/illegal and worked against such but one senator can't stop this. The vast majority of Republicans and Democrats are involved in these sort of things as the entire system is run in this manner.

Politicians can't be fair when making rules and legislation that effects their career and future. It's exceedingly rare to find a man of backbone who gets into politics as a statesman rather than a politicians looking to get ahead.

The Founders knew all this and considered this as they sought to greatly limit the authority and power of the federal government. Since we no longer have a constitutional federal government it's little wonder we are in the mess we are and this mess is likely to get much worse.

• Members

This is why only people with a sound salvation testimony, Christians and not Statists should be elected to public office.

Generally speaking, a Christian is moral, law-abiding and lives by the Scriptures. A Statist in government believes that they are a god and since there is no light in them they are immoral and evil people. Their god is their belly, they constantly divide people against each other and then elevate one group over another for political (power) gains.

• Members

This is why only people with a sound salvation testimony, Christians and not Statists should be elected to public office.

Generally speaking, a Christian is moral, law-abiding and lives by the Scriptures. A Statist in government believes that they are a god and since there is no light in them they are immoral and evil people. Their god is their belly, they constantly divide people against each other and then elevate one group over another for political (power) gains.

Remember, the Founders specifically chose not to make America a Christian nation and they specifically chose to leave who ran for and held public office open to all regardless of their religious beliefs or lack thereof.

• Members

Remember, the Founders specifically chose not to make America a Christian nation and they specifically chose to leave who ran for and held public office open to all regardless of their religious beliefs or lack thereof.

It's a great mistake that Christians allowed the heathen into public service, whether elected or not. Hundreds of millions have died here in America and around the world as a result, including 53 million unborn children.

• Members

It's a great mistake that Christians allowed the heathen into public service, whether elected or not. Hundreds of millions have died here in America and around the world as a result, including 53 million unborn children.

When we read and discover the kind of "Christians" many of the Founders were and what they lived their lives for, it's little wonder they took the course they did.