• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A few questions for <acronym title='Independent Fundamental Baptist'>IFB</acronym> Pastors

• Members

1. If somebody in your church comes to you privately with a complaint about something you said or did, do you...

a. call another preacher?
b. tell it to a visiting evangelist or pastor so they can deal with the 'rebellion' in a sermon?
c. tell someone else in the church about it?
d. just take it to the Lord in Prayer?

2 If someone from another church comes to you about a problem between just you and him.
would you call that person's pastor to inform him?

• Members

1. If somebody in your church comes to you privately with a complaint about something you said or did, do you... (speaking for my husband here)

a. call another preacher? On rare occasions, he will call his home pastor who is half a country away, for advice.
b. tell it to a visiting evangelist or pastor so they can deal with the 'rebellion' in a sermon? Certainly not.
c. tell someone else in the church about it? No way.
d. just take it to the Lord in Prayer? Yes.

2 If someone from another church comes to you about a problem between just you and him.
would you call that person's pastor to inform him? This one could be complicated. I say generally, no, but there may be rare exceptions. Actually, it should be a rare exception that someone who is a member of one church asks advice of another pastor unless they were already good friends to begin with.

• Members

They are following the instructions given forth in Matthew 18:15-17. Take the advice or reject it. You can and should share it with your spouse. If it becomes a problem then you too should follow Matthew 18:15-17.

Not sure of your meaning. Which are you saying follows Matthew 18 a, b, c, or d?

• Moderators

They are following the instructions given forth in Matthew 18:15-17. Take the advice or reject it. You can and should share it with your spouse. If it becomes a problem then you too should follow Matthew 18:15-17.

You begin with a pronoun (they) with no antecedent. WHO is following Mt18? The poster above you, myself, the individual who spoke (in the OP), or the one who had difference with speaker (in OP).

Since the question (in OP) was general, not specific: if you said that "Obama is a Muslim" and another came to you disagreeing, that is not an issue to be brought before others or the church.

If you are assuming that this question is specifically intended to reflect the courtship issue mentioned in another post --- the Dad of the girl can disagree with the proposed guidelines and it is STILL NOT an issue to be dragging others into (from the perspective of a pastor who has both boys and girls).

• Members

One thing that should never happen is speaking about a problem at your church with someone that is not a member of that church. Doing that is setting it on wings & it will become common gossip throughout the community.

If someone has something to say about me, the best they can do is talk with me about it. And its best to do so privately.

The worse thing that can happen, for instants, a church I know of was tired of their preacher, did not think he was doing his job properly. And everyone in church & out of this church knew about it, he was the last one to find out. The wings of gossip was carrying that throughout the community & it turned into viscous gossip along with a bucket bull of lies. And that did nothing but smear the name of Jesus.

PS: I will add, some pastors thinks they're the boss, & no one is suppose to question them on anything, with such a pastor, no matter what you do he will say your wrong, & he will try to hide behind God's Word.

The pastor is only the under-shepard, Jesus is the Shepard.

• Members

One thing that should never happen is speaking about a problem at your church with someone that is not a member of that church. Doing that is setting it on wings & it will become common gossip throughout the community.

If someone has something to say about me, the best they can do is talk with me about it. And its best to do so privately.

The worse thing that can happen, for instants, a church I know of was tired of their preacher, did not think he was doing his job properly. And everyone in church & out of this church knew about it, he was the last one to find out. The wings of gossip was carrying that throughout the community & it turned into viscous gossip along with a bucket bull of lies. And that did nothing but smear the name of Jesus.

PS: I will add, some pastors thinks they're the boss, & no one is suppose to question them on anything, with such a pastor, no matter what you do he will say your wrong, & he will try to hide behind God's Word.

The pastor is only the under-shepard, Jesus is the Shepard.

Yes, the Bible says to go privately.
He didn't even attempt to use God's Word. When I asked him to give me Bible on it, he gave none. When I pointed out Matthew 18 he had no answer for that either. He just affirmed that he was right to do what he did. Does Matthew 18 not apply to everyone? Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Not sure of your meaning. Which are you saying follows Matthew 18 a, b, c, or d?

The person who came to you privately to discuss something followed Matthew 18. Now it is up to you to heed or reject their "advice". It's a private matter between you and that person, nobody else, except your spouse of course. Consult your spouse and certainly ask the Lord for guidance! If you choose to reject their advice then they are right to come back to you with another person as per Matthew 18 and ultimately to take the matter before the church (pastor). If you reject their advice then you are free to reciprocate with Matthew 18 as well.

You begin with a pronoun (they) with no antecedent. WHO is following Mt18? The poster above you, myself, the individual who spoke (in the OP), or the one who had difference with speaker (in OP).

Since the question (in OP) was general, not specific: if you said that "Obama is a Muslim" and another came to you disagreeing, that is not an issue to be brought before others or the church.

If you are assuming that this question is specifically intended to reflect the courtship issue mentioned in another post --- the Dad of the girl can disagree with the proposed guidelines and it is STILL NOT an issue to be dragging others into (from the perspective of a pastor who has both boys and girls).

Should have used the "quote" feature to signify that it was a direct reply to Heartstrings. As for my grammar, sorry, I'm just a government educated divemaster who thinks an antecedent is some ancestor from a long time ago somewhere.

• Members

You still misunderstand. This post was adressed to Pastors. The post is asking pastors what they would do if someone came to them privately. i'm not a pastor.

Ohh My Word! My reading comprehension hasn't been so good lately! Guess being sick doesn't help! Is there a broom so I can clean up my mess? Sorry folks!

• Moderators

The person who came to you privately to discuss something followed Matthew 18. Now it is up to you to heed or reject their "advice". It's a private matter between you and that person, nobody else, except your spouse of course. Consult your spouse and certainly ask the Lord for guidance! If you choose to reject their advice then they are right to come back to you with another person as per Matthew 18 and ultimately to take the matter before the church (pastor). If you reject their advice then you are free to reciprocate with Matthew 18 as well.

Should have used the "quote" feature to signify that it was a direct reply to Heartstrings. As for my grammar, sorry, I'm just a government educated divemaster who thinks an antecedent is some ancestor from a long time ago somewhere.

Haha, I am also public edge-you-ma-kated. Although, I had a good incentive to make good grades -- I did folks' reports and homework for a price and sold the rights to cheat off my test papers (any younguns reading this take note that --It AIN'T right!)