• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Exposing Children to other religious systems

• Members

I would like your opinion on whether it is right or probably a better word is wise to expose an 8 yr old to another religion.

This is what's happened.

We are enrolled in a christian school to do distance education. Hence we homeschool but a school has say over what we teach. For the most part there hasn't been a conflict of beliefs or where there has been we've been able to do what we prefer. However, this term our son is doing a unit study on 'Sadako" the Japanese girl that died as a result of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

I think the topic is too heavy for an eight year old and aside from that the book that he has to read talks about having an alter to prayer to spirits of their ancestors, budhist priests etc. Some say it is a good opportunity to show in the bible why this is wrong. But do you think 8 is too young for such things or am I being overprotective?

Thanks

Blossom

• Members

Myself, I think this does indeed seem like a heavy topic for an 8 year old. The same with regards to other religions at this stage, unless they would happen to be encountering a particular false religion in their lives at this point.

Unfortunately, even some Christian education groups take the secular approach of pushing too much, too soon upon young children.

• Members

I have four kids and we homeschool them to. I think homeschooled children are the greatest hope for America's future!

As far as your eight year old goes, I think it depends upon the eight year old. Some are mature enough to handle it and some aren't.

No one would know better than you and your husband.

• Members

My husband is in too minds about it. He is going to talk to our son when he can get off work. I was hoping there was a biblical basis. It would seem not.

The biblical basis would seem to be mostly about what the child is able to handle. There is nothing in Scripture that tells parents to teach their children about false religions. Most of what is mentioned about false religions in Scripture is regarding some of their evil aspects and the fact they are false religions which God hates.

There are some who believe that children should be taught about all religions, with many of these believing they should be taught very deeply about them. Some claim this is necessary in order to win those of other religions to Christ but that doesn't seem to be necessary from what Scripture teaches, nor from what many missionaries have said nor from my own personal experience.

We have to be very careful in how we do teach about false religions because much of the material out there tends to make them either look good or to play on emotions that could lead some to feel sympathy, or even a connection with them. It's also rather common for someone who isn't yet a biblical Christian (whether they or others thought they were) to become so caught up in the study of false religions they either decide all religion is fake or they find a false religion that appeals to their flesh and adopt it.

Biblically speaking we must be very careful in all things we teach our children making sure God and Scripture are always a part of what we teach and that aspect is the centerpiece.

• Members

It would depend on the child. It also might be helpful if it was studied with the parent rather than leaving the child to themselves. I will say I think many Christians do their children a disservice by overprotecting them from teachings that are part of this world. Things they will be confronted with eventually, like it or not. Things like evolution are a case in point. I have seen some children that were so protected from it they scarcely knew what it was beyond knowing it was "bad". As a result when actually confronted with it they hadn't a clue with how to deal with it beyond quoting a few things they heard from some professional "creationist". That doesn't work very well for obvious reasons. Same thing with everything from teaching bible doctrines in depth to teaching about other religions. They will have to deal with things like that eventually, and if the child is able the earlier they acquire a good understanding of complex or difficult topics the more mature and better grounded they can become. The less a child is taught the more ignorant he/she is likely to be and as a broad generality the less knowledge a person has the easier it is to make it look as if they are wrong on a subject even if they are actually right in basic premise. That said wisdom is the principle thing. Knowledge is no guarantee of wisdom and ignorance does not necessarily mean a lack of wisdom. However knowledge and wisdom together are a far greater force to be reckoned with than either is alone, so why not go for both?

• Members

It would depend on the child. It also might be helpful if it was studied with the parent rather than leaving the child to themselves. I will say I think many Christians do their children a disservice by overprotecting them from teachings that are part of this world. Things they will be confronted with eventually, like it or not. Things like evolution are a case in point. I have seen some children that were so protected from it they scarcely knew what it was beyond knowing it was "bad". As a result when actually confronted with it they hadn't a clue with how to deal with it beyond quoting a few things they heard from some professional "creationist". That doesn't work very well for obvious reasons. Same thing with everything from teaching bible doctrines in depth to teaching about other religions. They will have to deal with things like that eventually, and if the child is able the earlier they acquire a good understanding of complex or difficult topics the more mature and better grounded they can become. The less a child is taught the more ignorant he/she is likely to be and as a broad generality the less knowledge a person has the easier it is to make it look as if they are wrong on a subject even if they are actually right in basic premise. That said wisdom is the principle thing. Knowledge is no guarantee of wisdom and ignorance does not necessarily mean a lack of wisdom. However knowledge and wisdom together are a far greater force to be reckoned with than either is alone, so why not go for both?

I absolutely agree that "hiding" things from a child (never addressing the issue no matter their age) they will confront in life is the wrong approach. Once a child is firmly grounded in Christianity and the Christian worldview and are mature enough, it's good for parents to go over opposing views they will be confronted with, such as evolution, Mormonism, the idea of "all paths lead to God", etc.

Parents don't need to try and guess every detail their children may one day encounter, but there are many things we know they will and those things need to be addressed at some point. For the most part, our children seemed best ready to fully look into these matters around 10-13. We gave a more general overview around that time with more in-depth follow up as they got older.

I've seen some of those who were over sheltered early in life have a very rough time when they entered college. Suddenly they went from a setting where pretty much everyone and everything was Christian centered to an enviornment very anti-Christian; where most students were either not Christian or worldly Christian. Some professors loved to unload on these poor young ones.

As has been said, the age and time for dealing with such matters varies from child to child so it's best for parents to decide when their own child is ready and then to work with them in such matters.

• Members

I grew up in the country, going to a small town school in the 50's & 60's, & evolution was not hid from me. I recall seeing evolution taught in our school books, yet teachers did not teach it in school in those days, least not around here. Probably if they had they would have been without a job, yet now they're protected by the government.

There is a Bible basics for everything pertaining to the Christians life.

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness

And of course its clear we should not send our children into a place that they will not be taught God's truths, that is into a den of wolves, & that is exactly what public schools have truned into.

Yet few there be that practice God's ways, many feel that it would be to much of a hardship on them.

De 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
De 11:19 And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

We are to teach our children God's truths constantly, it would seem that nowadays those children that attend public school gets a break from God's truth being taught to them every school day, & in place of that they receive ungodly teachings in public schools. God's truths are to be taught our children throughout each day.

• Administrators

I don't think you are being overprotective - it is the responsibility of parents to make sure their children receive knowledge as they are ready for it and not so soon that it can develop problems in the child. Reminds me of a story about Corrie Ten Boom when she was a child. There was a subject that came up that was definitely not something a young child needs rolling around in her head. When she asked her father about it, he gave her his suitcase to see how heavy it was...and then he took it back and told her to trust him, that he would carry the heavy stuff until she was old enough to do so herself.

As far as the topic - I don't believe 8 is too young to learn about the holocaust. I'm not too sure about the presentation, with it being the story of a young girl who died. That would definitely need to be yours and your hubby's call, as you are the only 2 who truly know his maturity level. As for the false religion aspect, that can be taught by using scripture to show the truths of what we believe and why we believe them. Or, you could simply skip that part. Maybe explain to the school what your hesitancy is (and, just for input: usually, when there is discomfort, there's a reason...both of you are not sure about it, so I personally would say you need to consider that it could be the Holy Spirit cautioning you not to introduce this topic at this time in his life).

• Members

That verse in Deuteronomy is actually what gives me poise. It's talking about teaching God's ways constantly not the world's ways. The other thing is when bank tellers are trained about counterfeit money they are trained with correct money not counterfeit money. Is it possible to just teach God's ways and when they do come across wordly stuff such as false religions they'll be so versed in the bible it will automatically discount? Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks for your responses, we will decide over the weekend as school start back on Monday.

• Members

That verse in Deuteronomy is actually what gives me poise. It's talking about teaching God's ways constantly not the world's ways. The other thing is when bank tellers are trained about counterfeit money they are trained with correct money not counterfeit money.  Is it possible to just teach God's ways and when they do come across wordly stuff such as false religions they'll be so versed in the bible it will automatically discount? Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks for your responses, we will decide over the weekend as school start back on Monday.
Good observation Blossom. I believe that to know error we need to be exposed to truth. In other words, i do not study the cults tor know what they belive, I study the truth and it reveals the cults.And yes, it is possible to teach our children as much of the Word as we possibly can, and allow it to work its work in them.

• Members

That verse in Deuteronomy is actually what gives me poise. It's talking about teaching God's ways constantly not the world's ways. The other thing is when bank tellers are trained about counterfeit money they are trained with correct money not counterfeit money. Is it possible to just teach God's ways and when they do come across wordly stuff such as false religions they'll be so versed in the bible it will automatically discount? Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

I probably wasn't very clear in another post, but I was trying to say something along these lines. The most important thing is to teach and example biblical Christianity. Myself, I believe it's much more important to be solidly grounded in the Word of God, and to concentrate upon this, before becoming very concerned about these other matters. If a child will soon be encountering some particular thing, then we should help prepare them for it and to do so with an emphasis upon what Scripture says about it. However, if a child isn't likely to be encountering some things for a long time there is no rush to get into that. Better to spend the time becoming established and built up in the Word and in the faith.

The timing for such things depend upon the maturity of the child, their position in Christ (or lack of), their maturity in the Word, and what their social interactions are. For instance, those living in rural areas don't encounter near as much near as soon as some who live in cities.

Whatever the case, in all things, we need to be sure to keep Christ and His Word center and emphasized.

• Members

Thank you gentlemen. I think I'm going to contact the school and inform them of our decision to stop this unit. My younger son who is at the table with us immediately says "No way Mum, God would hate that" whereas the older boy says 'Well if everyone else believes it" and "why are we always believing something different." He does claim to be saved but he has a hardness in his heart that scares me. Maybe it's best to leave off it for awhile and just work within the scriptures.

Thanks a lot for all of your scripture verses and advice. Raising children is sometimes so hard. I don't know if it because of the days we live in or if it's just the nature of the job but boy I would love a more explicit manual!

• Members

Thank you gentlemen. I think I'm going to contact the school and inform them of our decision to stop this unit. My younger son who is at the table with us immediately says "No way Mum, God would hate that" whereas the older boy says 'Well if everyone else believes it" and "why are we always believing something different." He does claim to be saved but he has a hardness in his heart that scares me. Maybe it's best to leave off it for awhile and just work within the scriptures.

Thanks a lot for all of your scripture verses and advice. Raising children is sometimes so hard. I don't know if it because of the days we live in or if it's just the nature of the job but boy I would love a more explicit manual!

Many times over the years I've thought that raising children is so much harder than I ever imagined. Much of the reason is because we are trying to raise our children in a Christian manner. This means we have the world, the flesh and the devil working against us. Those who don't care about such matters, and sometimes don't care much about a lot of things, can seem to have it easier since they let their children do what they want, let the wicked public school system brainwash them along with whatever wicked shows they watch on MTV and HBO whenever they want. The world, the flesh and devil go along nicely with such wickedness.

I can relate to what you say about seeing a hardened heart in your son. Our oldest son developed this, he's still this way and he turns 18 next month. Beyond sad, this totally shocked me. He was reading the Bible from the time he was 4 years old. He loved to read the Bible, loved to read biblical stories, seemed to be so open to the Word and things Christian. I can still remember how excited I was at the idea he would probably be born again at a young age. Even after all these years and searching my heart and mind I can't figure out why his heart went the wrong direction. On at least four different occasions I've sat and discussed with him the Gospel, his future and what he wants. All four times he has said he would like to be saved but he wants the things of the world. He is unwilling to give up the "pleasures of the world" in order to receive salvation. That is the scariest thing to me, that he has specifically rejected Christ for the world four times.

I share all this to say that only you and your husband can know best what to do with your children. Trust God, pray continually and follow the Lord in all things with your children. We have three children. Two are doing well, only our oldest son has chose to reject Christ.

I'm praying for your family.