• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

heartstrings

False Teacher Accusing False Teacher?

So if John Piper's books contain the false teachings of Calvinism, shouldn't they be discarded as well?
My former pastor pushed some of Piper's books, be he had an "eat the meat and spit out the bones" philosophy on that.
I suppose it boils down to how serious you perceive the false teaching to be.

I've not read any of Piper's books so I can't comment directly as I don't what concept of Calvinism is in them or if he has an emphasis on Calvinism or not. If the books are bad enough, they should not be promoted and if they are bad enough they should be cast out.

With regards to the "eat the meat and spit out the bones" idea, that can work if one is grounded in the Word and the bones are few and not of a serious or threatening nature to the one reading the book. There are several books that I don't agree with the author on all points yet overall the books are edifying. Whether I would share any particular book with others would depend upon the other persons maturity in Christ.

Now, if there is serious error in the book, and most especially if the serious error is promoted throughout the book, then not only do I not want to read it but I wouldn't recommend it to another and would likely cast such a book away if it were somehow mine.

Spurgeon was a Calvinist, should all of his books be cast out because of that?

Brother FIRM,

There's a difference between a misstep doctrinally that is of no real consequence, and full-blown heresy. If you write everyone off that doesn't agree with you entirely (assuming you're right on everything :) ), then you'll have no books in your library and fail to be under the authority of any pastor or local church (which is unscriptural).

Considering the fact that God gave us imperfect teachers and pastors, it's safe to assume that we are to do the best with what we have.

Edited by Rick Schworer

If anyone tries to bring us another Christ, we are to reject that Christ.

They can say the Christ they are presenting fulfilled all the prophesies of the Bible, but when they put alcohol in the hand of that christ, when they present him as a liar (as few as 20 modern versions do this) when they say this christ they are presenting commands us to tithe, ... they have just revealed that they are not presenting the True Christ.

The Word of God does not tell us to 'chew the meat and spit out the bones." The Word of God tells us to search the Scriptures to see if it be so when one is teaching, and if that one is teaching false doctrine, reject him.

Are you saying that if someone says that Jesus said we should tithe for salvation, that that teacher should be rejected, or are you saying that if a teacher says we should tithe that that teacher should be rejected?

The Bible says to support those who labor in the Gospel and it says to give to those in need. It says to give willingly and it says that "God loveth a cheerful giver". Tithing is a good place to start. One attribute of the character of God, part of his very nature, is that He is a giver, But I think doctrines which blaspheme the very character of God are pretty serious. Armenianism, for instance, instead of showing God to be a giver, portrays Him as being an Indian giver and Calvinism portrays Him as being selfish, hippocritical and sadistic.

Are you saying that if someone says that Jesus said we should tithe for salvation, that that teacher should be rejected, or are you saying that if a teacher says we should tithe that that teacher should be rejected?

If they say Jesus requires us to tithe, they are speaking of the same Jesus they presented who gives eternal life.

The Jesus I read of in my Bible never commanded us to tithe. It is He who is the giver of life.

The Jesus they are presenting is one who requires something the Jesus of the Bible never authorized.

The Bible says to support those who labor in the Gospel and it says to give to those in need. It says to give willingly and it says that "God loveth a cheerful giver". Tithing is a good place to start. One attribute of the character of God, part of his very nature, is that He is a giver, But I think doctrines which blaspheme the very character of God are pretty serious. Armenianism, for instance, instead of showing God to be a giver, portrays Him as being an Indian giver and Calvinism portrays Him as being selfish, hippocritical and sadistic.

I think you mean Arminianism.

The "eat the meat, spit out the bones" idea is what we practice in some of the books we own. However, if there is anti-scriptural teaching, the book is tossed, no matter how good the rest of it is. Why? Because we don't want to be laboring to see if something is true or false.

I think, Rick, what you are actually calling minor doctrinal mistakes might be better called application errors. We all apply scripture to our lives, some in similar ways, some in different ways. Out and out misrepresentation of scriptural teaching is heresy. Application errors could be due to teachings received, etc. and are not in the same category.

For instance: SFirm doesn't believe tithing is taught for the NT believer. We do. Do we call him a heretic? No. Does he call us one? I don't know ( :frog: ), but his calling us one doesn't make us one. We continue to tithe as God has prospered us, on the first day of the week, cheerfully. :clapping: And we won't separate from him because of our disagreement. Application differences (he would say we err, we would say he does)

However....

If SFirm (and I know you won't, Standing, just using an example) were to try and say that salvation comes to those who trust Christ AND are baptized, using scripture to fit into what he was saying, that would not be application differences. That would be doctrinal error.

There is a difference. And books that contain doctrinal error are not wise to have on everyone's shelf.

Linda and I have the Charles Stanley book. The only reason we have it is because when we tried to comment on another board as to his teaching that outer darkness is a part of the kingdom of God, we were told if we did not have the book, we could not prove he made such a statement and therefore could not truthfully comment on it.

I found the book through Amazon.com for $1+Shipping and Handling. (S&H cost more than the cost of the book. LOL)

Toss the book? Nah. Might need to quote it in the future.

I also have in my possession some of the modern versions with which I am able to show major error. I don't want to toss them either. I cannot show error in a book if I do not possess that book.

P.S. One of the worse translations I have yet is the Good as New. Total destruction of God's Word and His Saints. Don't understand how one can call it Good as New when it is so full of trash.

So if John Piper's books contain the false teachings of Calvinism, shouldn't they be discarded as well?

My former pastor pushed some of Piper's books, be he had an "eat the meat and spit out the bones" philosophy on that.

I suppose it boils down to how serious you perceive the false teaching to be.

"Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?"

Is this Stanley's only false teaching or does he have more?
He does have more...

- On a recent radio broadcast, Stanley said that God will not send people to hell if they have never heard the gospel. Following is an extract:

"Would God send somebody to hell because they did n
ot
receive Jesus whom they never heard about, never had the privilege of knowing about? And my answer is: No, he would n
ot
" (Stanley, In Touch Ministries, "Reconciling God's Love with His Justice," July 31, 2001).

This is a great error. In Ephesians 2, God describes the condition of those who are outside of Christ. They are dead in trespasses and sins (v. 1), by nature the children of wrath (v. 3), having no hope, and without God in the world (v. 12). This is the unsaved man's condition regardless of whether or not he has heard the gospel. He is condemned already, and that is why it is so imperative that Christ's commission be obeyed and the gospel be preached to the ends of the earth. (Church News Notes, 8/3/01, David Cloud, FBIS)

Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; 19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

II used to have questions that used to really bug me like; what about all the Native Americans, Australian Aboriginals, ...people like that, who didn't have the Gospel until the White Man "discovered" them. I don't anymore. There will be no one at the Great White Throne judgement who did not know.. They won't have the excuse that some careless, lax, worldly Christian failed to tell them, They will have no excuse because sometime or times in their lives God in His great providence "SHEWED" them , and it was "CLEARLY SEEN" but they rejected it. We are still commanded to warn them, but they will have no excuse....NOT because they didn't know because "man" dropped the ball in not telling them, but because they denied and rejected what light they did have. I have heard men stand and say "people are going to go to hell because you didn't tell them", then I have been out with these same men time and time again without them ONCE witnessing to anyone. One of them, started angrily calling a Black man the "N" word and when I (shocked) tried to get him to hush he said it the more and then said "i don't care". I guess he was right because he never witnessed to the man. Seems like If some really believed what they were saying, every time they're down at Walmart they would be pleading with everyone in sight to repent and believe the gospel. It ain't happening. If that Black man ends up in Hell, it won't be because my pastor called him a n********, no sir, it will be because that man chose to reject what light God showed him some other time in his life.. Edited by heartstrings

Romans 10:14-17

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

You left out verse 18

18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

Yes, that is the right answer, and this verse refers to:

Psalm 19:4

King James Version (KJV)

4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,

Yes, that is the right answer, and this verse refers to:

Psalm 19:4

King James Version (KJV)

4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,

Whose line is gone out and whose words to the end of the world?
Back up to verse one............

1<> The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.

Whose line is gone out and whose words to the end of the world?
Back up to verse one............

1<> The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.

Amen! Well done, that brings it full circle. :clapping:

You moron; the Catholics didn't exist until the fourth century............ Who has respect for the murderous catholics killing babies and raping women and sodomizing little boys.

Can't you read the news papers either?

You moron; the Catholics didn't exist until the fourth century............ Who has respect for the murderous catholics killing babies and raping women and sodomizing little boys.

Can't you read the news papers either?

Sam,you shouldn't use that language.

Adamski

The RCC church is the most murderous organisation on earth as well as the most corrupt. You cannot believe anything she says about herself.