• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Drums

• Members
If the drums are used to call evil spirits, you are right. They have no place in worship of the Lord. But drums are inanimate objects. They are instruments in the hands of the users. If the people playing the drums are playing them in a way that calls up evil spirits, they are wrong. If they are playing them in a way that glorifies God, they aren't wrong.

Kinda like the snake charmers punji - it's much like a clarinet. So, do we do away with clarinets or any other reed instruments because the punji is used in that way? No.

I personally believe that if a culture is heavy with something like that (like in Africa), then perhaps wisdom would dictate not using them. But that would be up to the leaders of the church, under the direction of the Holy Spirit.

Okay then lets suppose all demons just love the sound of drums and whenever any one is drumming they show up in droves. It does not matter to the demon who is drumming - or if it is drumming for them specifically - they just love the sound of drums. So someone who is unsaved is sitting in a church, just minding his own business listening to the lovely drumming sounds. Now who will the demons go after? Will they go after the saved members of the congregation or will the go after that poor sap sitting there just minding his own business? How many unsaved people are in jeopardy of demonic possession just becuase they like to listen to drums just as much as the demons do? I have sat in congregations and watched people become possessed by "spirits" - they thought it was the Holy Ghost, but I am quite certain it was not! because they were writhing and gyrating and jabbering like crazy people. I have always heard that Satan and his minions come to church every Sunday just to see who they can thwart in the gospel effort - either by demonic possession or causing good Christians to stumble and taint their testamony.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Okay then lets suppose all demons just love the sound of drums and whenever any one is drumming they show up in droves. It does not matter to the demon who is drumming - or if it is drumming for them specifically - they just love the sound of drums. So someone who is unsaved is sitting in a church, just minding his own business listening to the lovely drumming sounds. Now who will the demons go after? Will they go after the saved members of the congregation or will the go after that poor sap sitting there just minding his own business? How many unsaved people are in jeopardy of demonic possession just becuase they like to listen to drums just as much as the demons do? I have sat in congregations and watched people become possessed by "spirits" - they thought it was the Holy Ghost, but I am quite certain it was not! because they were writhing and gyrating and jabbering like crazy people. I have always heard that Satan and his minions come to church every Sunday just to see who they can thwart in the gospel effort - either by demonic possession or causing good Christians to stumble and taint their testamony.

So what authoritative reference (Scriptures would be preferable) puts forth that "all demons just love the sound of drums and whenever any one is drumming they show up in droves?" What is your source of this information? This would help me to understand if you really believe your hypothetical instance or are you just "grasping at straws" to win a debate!

• Administrators

You know, I have sat in services where people have become possessed, also - including my own sister. And guess what? The only instrument that church had was a piano.

There is no scripture that backs up your argument that demons are attracted to the drums just because they like the sound. As you said in you first line, that is a supposition.

There are people saved in our church all the time - and we have drums in our orchestra. The difference is that our drums are played in a godly manner - not in the manner in which demons are called up. I hate to tell you this, but there are more instruments than drums that can do that!

I do believe that demons come to church, to wreak whatever havoc they can. I've been in services where it's been obvious that they have been trying to oppress the Word - and not all of those churches have had drums. Most of them only had pianos.

The point I'm trying to make is that a drum is an instrument. Like a piano, an organ, a sax (and yes, we have one of those :eek ), a cello, a trombone, a xylophone, etc. It is in the hands of the user that the difference is seen. In the hands of a Christian who is seeking to glorify God, an instrument can make beautiful music. In the hands of someone who is not trying to glorigy God, the instrument will be used for wrong music.

Jimmy Swaggert, Jerry Lee Lewis and Micky Gilley are all cousins who were taught to play piano by their grandmother, who was a Christian. They all 3 play amazingly. Swaggert was the only one who used his in a church situation (I'm not saying he was a godly man, just telling the story). Who doesn't remember Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls of Fire?" And Mickey Gilley could play too - but his music was no godlier than Jerry Lee's. Swaggert played church music, but we all know how he ended up....

My point with that story is that they all used pianos. Instruments that we would all agree are good ones. But they used them in non-God honoring ways. And you can bet there were demons a plenty at their gigs. Should we then stop using pianos? Of course not.

Wisdom is needed even in this area.

• Members

2 Samuel 6:5 And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals.

This verse shows a full-blown orchestra used in celebration. There are four basic categories of instruments: string, brass, woodwind and percussion.

http://www.sfskids.org/templates/instor ... p?pageid=3

That site shows orchestral instruments, which family they belong in and why and where they are located in a modern orchestra. Musical ability is a God-given talent and so is instrument-making. There is nothing inherently wrong with a drum. Just like there is nothing inherently wrong with a pipe or a flute. It is how it is used that makes the difference.

• Members

Why does church music have to imitate worldly music?

Seems the older America gets the more it accepts in its churches. And the more people decided that Christians of yesterday year had no understanding of the Bible nor what worship in a church house should be like.

I don't want music that lights up my insides lie this does at those ungodly concerts where people go absolutely nuts.

Seems the birth of CCC has changed many people mid about what it right and or wrong to have in the churches.

Remember, God does not change, never has, never will, but the world is constantly changing, sad, many are letting the ever changing world influence their walk with God.

High powered music does not help the child of God worship God, if it takes high powered music for the to worship, them they have a very bad heart problem.

Yes I know, its so hard for die hard music lovers to have a true understand on what is appropriate in Jesus' Churches. Many of them would love to throw out the preachers and preaching service, replace him and the preaching service with their high powered music and singing them dismiss the service with a prayer. That has already happened in many churches, even a few Baptist Churches.

5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

Phil 4:5 (KJV)

Sad to say, many just can't accept moderation.

Sad, the music of the Gathiers and people such as them has more influence on many than the Holy Bible. We are a people now that will accept most anything, as long as we slowy get use to it and let it grow upon us.

• Administrators

Seems the older America gets the more it accepts in its churches. And the more people decided that Christians of yesterday year had no understanding of the Bible nor what worship in a church house should be like.

I don't want music that lights up my insides lie this does at those ungodly concerts where people go absolutely nuts.

Seems the birth of CCC has changed many people mid about what it right and or wrong to have in the churches.

Remember, God does not change, never has, never will, but the world is constantly changing, sad, many are letting the ever changing world influence their walk with God.

High powered music does not help the child of God worship God, if it takes high powered music for the to worship, them they have a very bad heart problem.

Yes I know, its so hard for die hard music lovers to have a true understand on what is appropriate in Jesus' Churches. Many of them would love to throw out the preachers and preaching service, replace him and the preaching service with their high powered music and singing them dismiss the service with a prayer. That has already happened in many churches, even a few Baptist Churches.

Sad, the music of the Gathiers and people such as them has more influence on many than the Holy Bible. We are a people now that will accept most anything, as long as we slowy get use to it and let it grow upon us.

You are quite right, Jerry8. (But that doesn't mean that drums are inherently wicked.)

Just to clarify - we don't use Gaither style music either with instruments or singing. Our music is truly uplifting and draws people to the Lord, not the world.

I remember one year when I was nineteen, we went to a church "sing." There was no church in the area that was IFB. This was a little church, in a tiny little town, far away from any other churches. We hadn't lived there long. The music was pretty good. But that's all there was. Now, granted, it was a "sing" - not a regular service. But we met a man who was there who was really bothered that there was no preaching. He and my dad hit it off well...and the upshot was that the man came to the area to start a church. The church didn't last - but it was there while we lived there.

• Members

:amen::goodpost: :amen:

• Members

I would say that if drums were that evil, there would be a verse stating such in the Bible. We have that we are not to have graven images, they would lead us away from God. But as has already been stated, your are making a supposition.

• Members

Singing is part of the worship requested and due to God the Almighty, but it is not all there is to worship. The acts of worship that are specified by God are: singing, preaching, praying, giving, and the Lord?s Supper ([bible]Colossians 3:16[/bible]; [bible]1 Timothy 2:1-2[/bible]; [bible]Acts 20:7[/bible]; [bible]2 Timothy 4:2[/bible]; [bible]1 Corinthians 16:1-2[/bible]). Worship must promote awe and reverence, spirituality and thoughtfulness. Joy must flow from the heart, and not be worked up by the excessive use of external helps.

God has given the human voice as the primary source of expressing singing worship, however He will accept also some musical instruments to aid the voice in its expression. There is no evidence that there are many musical instruments in heaven, yet there is music: " And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:"( [bible]Revelation 14:2[/bible])

Scripture list those instruments that may be used, some instruments are never mentioned, such as the Drum, and it is best not to use them in our worship. The general rule is that all instruments are only an aid to the voice, not a supplanter or an overwhelmer thereof. The voice must be heard clearly over the instruments in its purity, musical instruments that are confusing and distorting must not be used.

Drums, although in wide use and well known in all history were never used to worship God because drums have always been associated with voodoo, shamanism, paganism and magic rituals, the church of Christ has no part with that.

Singing worship can be loud and we must sing with all our hearts to the Lord giving all that we got, but the voice is supreme in worship and the instruments are just an aid and we are singing to the Lord not to ourselves. Worship is not for human exhibitionism?God resists the proud. It is not to show off or to admire human artistic ability. Musical aids must never be allowed to turn worship into entertainment. They must never interfere with the spiritual character of worship.

The standard of God remains?that musical instruments should be modest in character, limited in number, and that they should never be allowed to overwhelm the intelligent and sincere offering of worship voiced from the minds and hearts of believers.

The worship of the church of Christ is plainly given in the New Testament. Jesus said: "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth" ([bible]John 4:24[/bible]). The day Christians communally worship God is Sunday, the first day of the week, the "Lord?s Day" ([bible]Acts 20:7[/bible]; [bible]1 Corinthians 16:2[/bible];[bible]Revelation 1:10[/bible]). The music of the church of Christ is singing. This is the only kind of music that is mentioned in the NT by God in His word for the worship of His church ([bible]Colossians 3:16[/bible]; [bible]Ephesians 5:19[/bible]). Singing is commanded of all Christians, not just a favoured few. Choirs, quartets, solos, and choral groups are not mentioned in the New Testament nor are instruments of music resembling pianos, organs, drums, guitars, etc. mentioned in the New Testament either.

Spurgeon had this to say about musical Instruments in worship:

"Praise the Lord with the harp. Israel was at school, and used childish things to help her to learn; but in these days when Jesus gives us spiritual food, one can make melody without strings and pipes. We do not need them. They would hinder rather than help our praise. Sing unto him. This is the sweetest and best music. No instrument like the human voice." (Commentary on Psalms 42:4) "David appears to have had a peculiarly tender remembrance of the singing of the pilgrims, and assuredly it is the most delightful part of worship and that which comes nearest to the adoration of heaven. What a degradation to supplant the intelligent song of the whole congregation by the theatrical prettiness of a quartet, bellows, and pipes! We might as well pray by machinery as praise by it." (Spurgeon preached to 20,000 people every Sunday for 20 years in the Metropolitan Baptist Tabernacle and never were mechanical instruments of music used in his services. When asked why, he quoted 1st Corinthians 14:15. "I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the understanding also; I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also." He then declared: "I would as soon pray to God with machinery as to sing to God with machinery." (Charles H. Spurgeon, Baptist)

• Members

You are quite right, Jerry8. (But that doesn't mean that drums are inherently wicked.)

Just to clarify - we don't use Gaither style music either with instruments or singing. Our music is truly uplifting and draws people to the Lord, not the world.

I remember one year when I was nineteen, we went to a church "sing." There was no church in the area that was IFB. This was a little church, in a tiny little town, far away from any other churches. We hadn't lived there long. The music was pretty good. But that's all there was. Now, granted, it was a "sing" - not a regular service. But we met a man who was there who was really bothered that there was no preaching. He and my dad hit it off well...and the upshot was that the man came to the area to start a church. The church didn't last - but it was there while we lived there.

Those who use Gaither, CCC, the big loud beat type music claim their music is uplifting, but claim those who do not use it is not uplifting.

To many churches are more about music, entertainment, than they are presenting the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That is what modern music is doing to churches in 2008. If it has not reached a church near you, don't worry, its coming, maybe even to the church you now attend, the music lovers will see to it.

Boy...I can see all sides to this issue. Personally, I don't like drums. It brings up things from my past---which are NOT Godly b/c I wasn't saved. The point is..."that scripture saves us---not music." If they are used improperly, then---yeah,they are inappropriate!! Scripture back this up. :thumb

Great posts, by LuAnne and Bakers. Right on---ladies. :clap:

BTW, for those that don't know---(I am sure that most do) LuAnne attends one of the most beautiful IFB churches in this nation, IMHO. It is ever so glorifying to the Lord Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit speaks of that! :amen:

I had to "edit" appropriate to inappropriate. Ooops.

Those who use Gaither, CCC, the big loud beat type music claim their music is uplifting, but claim those who do not use it is not uplifting.

To many churches are more about music, entertainment, than they are presenting the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That is what modern music is doing to churches in 2008. If it has not reached a church near you, don't worry, its coming, maybe even to the church you now attend, the music lovers will see to it.

I have seen the "Gaithers" almost twice in my life. I say that b/c at their second Concert in Cleveland...my hubby and son got sick, and we had to leave. Personally, I don't care for them. They are too worldly for my tastes.

• Administrators

IM - you are right, musical instruments shouldn't turn services into entertainment.
But you are wrong that drums are never to be used. You have no scripture to back this up, you have only your opinion.

The Bible does not give us permission to use a piano, either. There are stringed instruments, yes. And that is what the piano is. But there are percussion instrements, also. The timbral is mentioned...and yet, hippies really made use of tambourines (which are pretty much similar).

Balance. Balance. Godliness of the music is not determined by the instruments used. It is determined by the music itself and the users of those instruments.

Agreed, mostly. But I can guarantee it's not coming to our church, nor is it here. Our music is very scriptural, and I'm sure you would even like it. :Green

candle - I hear you! I was into drums as a teen...but I guarantee you the way that our orchestra is directed and the way music is played, there would be no drawing you back to your previous life. And thanks for your kind words about our church. The bulk of our membership is very concerned with being right with God and glorifying Him in our lives...even our music.

Balance. Balance. Godliness of the music is not determined by the instruments used. It is determined by the music itself and the users of those instruments.

:amen: LuAnne!

candle - I hear you! I was into drums as a teen...but I guarantee you the way that our orchestra is directed and the way music is played' date=' there would be no drawing you back to your previous life. And thanks for your kind words about our church. The bulk of our membership is very concerned with being right with God and glorifying Him in our lives...even our music.[/quote']

Please pray for me with this issue---LuAnne. Thanks in advance.

Your welcome, about the "kind words." Keep on "being right with God and glorifying Him." I think it is time for me to break out your church, Christmas---CD music. :thumb