• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Drums

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Why do we need drums in our churches.

To me, a song sang with a piano is great, your can hear the words that are being sung clearly. Can't say that for many of the songs that have such loud music, seems many times the music drowns out the singer.

Some Sundays we have the TV turned on to a Baptist Church service while we are getting dressed, the pastor is quite good, but they have way to much music, they have a full instrument section, many times you cannot understand the singer for the music. But maybe that is the idea, the singer doesn't want you to hear the words they're singing.

• Members

I once read an article that drums make you want to move your body with the beats.

Most tribal worship dance (or something like that) use drums. It sort of have a chanting beat to it.

But I don't know how I really feel about it. Because I do listen to symphony, and it has drums.

Plus, drums are the only instrument I can feel and hear pretty good with my hearing loss. If I'm wearing my hearing aids, I can hear the drums far better than I can hear the singing and other instruments. It is really the only instruments that can help me sing along with the music. Piano and guitars are too complex for me . I am totally deaf from high pitches.. My best hearing strength are low bass. which drums offer that, plus I need the beat because some musics are just way too hard for me to keep up. At least I can sense the change of beat from a drum. Bass guitars are not too bad either but it doesn't have that vibration effect to it as drum do. Drums is the only instrument I can feel and slightly hear WITHOUT my hearing aids (because of the low bass ). I have to touch other instruments to "hear" the music without my hearing aids. i don't have to touch the drums to feel them.

Again, I am not sure how I feel about it. Music isn't really all that important to me anyway.
Speaking of importance of music, which is offtopic, I get so annoyed by my aunt who repeatedly tell people, including me, that there is something deep wrong with people who don't like musics. But I would like to tell her even the most cold-hearted person like musics (like the VT murderer -- he would listen "Let it shine" all the time or something like that). I did ask her do they have to like certain musics to be normal? I was relieved to hear her say no, because she said she don't like opera. I told her I'm one of those who do like opera. ok back to the topic, I was just venting alittle bit because of her recent blog she wrote.

• Members

Drums, like other instruments, can serve as soft background or loud music.

Like Jerry mentioned, I've seen some churches that have a loud horn section that really distracts. Any music, even the piano played too loud, can be a distraction and I'm not for that.

There is a great variety of drum beats (as there are guitar and piano notes) and a variety of uses for them. They can serve nicely in a symphony or moderately in some songs or overly obtrusive in some of that rock music.

This is getting away some from the original question, so I'll wait for more responses.

Thank you for your replies thus far!

• Members

So, as John requested where is the specific Scripture that supports your particular view point concerning the use of drums or prohibition of drums during the worship of the Lord God?

I love to hear opinions and different personal standards each person has on the matter; and would even more enjoy specific Scripture to go along with that opinion.

• Members

As with anything, drums can be used for evil or for good. If you went into a bar and heard the piano jangling away with honky-tonk music, you probably would come away with a negative conotation about the piano. Most rock musicians use guitars. That doesn't mean it is wrong to use a piano or guitar.

While drums are not specifically mentioned in the Bible, percussion instruments are....many times.

The tabret/timbrel (tambourine) is a form of a drum. You can shake it or strike it.

Spoiler for verses with tabret:

[spoiler]Genesis 31:27 Wherefore didst thou flee away secretly, and steal away from me; and didst not tell me, that I might have sent thee away with mirth, and with songs, with tabret, and with harp?
1 Samuel 10:5 After that thou shalt come to the hill of God, where is the garrison of the Philistines: and it shall come to pass, when thou art come thither to the city, that thou shalt meet a company of prophets coming down from the high place with a psaltery, and a tabret, and a pipe, and a harp, before them; and they shall prophesy:
Job 17:6 He hath made me also a byword of the people; and aforetime I was as a tabret.
Isaiah 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD, neither consider the operation of his hands.[/spoiler]

Spoiler for verses with timbrel:

[spoiler]Exodus 15:20 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.
Job 21:12 They take the timbrel and harp, and rejoice at the sound of the organ.
Psalm 81:2 Take a psalm, and bring hither the timbrel, the pleasant harp with the psaltery.
Psalm 149:3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
Psalm 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.[/spoiler]

Cymbals are also percussion instruments that are loud and are to be clashed together.

[spoiler]2 Samuel 6:5 And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals.
1 Chronicles 13:8 And David and all Israel played before God with all their might, and with singing, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with cymbals, and with trumpets.
1 Chronicles 15:16 And David spake to the chief of the Levites to appoint their brethren to be the singers with instruments of music, psalteries and harps and cymbals, sounding, by lifting up the voice with joy.
1 Chronicles 15:19 So the singers, Heman, Asaph, and Ethan, were appointed to sound with cymbals of brass;
1 Chronicles 15:28 Thus all Israel brought up the ark of the covenant of the LORD with shouting, and with sound of the cornet, and with trumpets, and with cymbals, making a noise with psalteries and harps.
1 Chronicles 16:5 Asaph the chief, and next to him Zechariah, Jeiel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehiel, and Mattithiah, and Eliab, and Benaiah, and Obededom: and Jeiel with psalteries and with harps; but Asaph made a sound with cymbals;
1 Chronicles 16:42 And with them Heman and Jeduthun with trumpets and cymbals for those that should make a sound, and with musical instruments of God. And the sons of Jeduthun were porters.
1 Chronicles 25:1 Moreover David and the captains of the host separated to the service of the sons of Asaph, and of Heman, and of Jeduthun, who should prophesy with harps, with psalteries, and with cymbals: and the number of the workmen according to their service was:
1 Chronicles 25:6 All these were under the hands of their father for song in the house of the LORD, with cymbals, psalteries, and harps, for the service of the house of God, according to the king's order to Asaph, Jeduthun, and Heman.
2 Chronicles 5:12 Also the Levites which were the singers, all of them of Asaph, of Heman, of Jeduthun, with their sons and their brethren, being arrayed in white linen, having cymbals and psalteries and harps, stood at the east end of the altar, and with them an hundred and twenty priests sounding with trumpets:)
2 Chronicles 5:13 It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD;
2 Chronicles 29:25 And he set the Levites in the house of the LORD with cymbals, with psalteries, and with harps, according to the commandment of David, and of Gad the king's seer, and Nathan the prophet: for so was the commandment of the LORD by his prophets.
Ezra 3:10 And when the builders laid the foundation of the temple of the LORD, they set the priests in their apparel with trumpets, and the Levites the sons of Asaph with cymbals, to praise the LORD, after the ordinance of David king of Israel.
Nehemiah 12:27 And at the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem they sought the Levites out of all their places, to bring them to Jerusalem, to keep the dedication with gladness, both with thanksgivings, and with singing, with cymbals, psalteries, and with harps.
Psalm 150:5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.[/spoiler]

The problem in our modern culture is that so many churches, Christians and Christian musicians want to copy the world's sound. Often, when drums are used in churches, there is a drum set on the platform to the exclusion of other instruments. When the Bible mentions cymbals and tambourines being used to praise the Lord, they are mentioned in a list with other instruments.

Music has three parts: melody, harmony and rhythm. Like it or not, every song has a rhythm. It is the beat count. How many beats does each measure get? If a song is written in 3/4 time, you count: 1,2,3...1,2,3 for each measure. If it is written in 4/4 you count: 1,2,3,4....1,2,3,4 for every measure. That is the rhythm of the song. If a song has only melody but no harmony, it is lacking the richness and depth it could have. If only harmony was played, it would just sound weird. If one attempted to play a song without rhythm - well, that's almost impossible without producing a very flat, almost non-musical sound.

Orchestras use percussion instruments as one part of a whole. Percussion instruments provide the bass notes of a musical piece much like the bass singer provides the bass notes (bottom line) in a 4-part song. Percussion and rhythm belong in music - but not to the exclusion of everything else. I know of churches that use drums in an orchestra and it is perfectly fine and very beautiful. They don't have a rocky beat and aren't used exclusively. They along with other kinds of percussion instruments provide the rhythm (used in a good way) while the violins, trumpets, flutes, saxophones, etc. are providing melody and harmony.

• Administrators

Good explanation, Jess!

The Bible (Palms, especially) is replete with instruction and exhortation to praise the Lord with music - both singing and instrumental. I think we get into some murky waters when we say outright that drums are bad. There are churches that won't use any kind of instruments and they think they are spiritual because of it. As Jess mentioned, specific percussion instruments (in which class drums fit) are mentioned as instruments of praise in scripture.

Drums have gotten a bad rap, IMO. They are used in rock music, and they are used in churches that are trying to be like the world. So should we throw them out? Well, pianos are, too. You ought to hear the pianos at my MIL's church...no mistaking the honky-tonky rocky sound coming from them! But at times there is good music played on them.

I have to say I agree that if the music is overpowering the words, there may be a problem.

We have a full orchestra in our church. And the music is just beautiful. That orchestra includes drums - both bass and kettle (is that what they're called?). We have tambourines ( :eek not used often :Green ), triangles, cymbals, brass, woodwind and strings. And we have two pianos (large auditorium - we really need two!) and a magnificent organ. It is a wonderful accompaniment to the congregational singing. At times the orchestra accompanies the choir, and at times plays offeratories or specials. Wonderful music. Do the drums take precedence? No. At times, when a march is played (during patriotic holidays or school programs, with the kids playing), the drum is obvious with the march beat. But that's the only time.

I really believe the key is to make sure that the music is played in a godly manner - glorifying the Lord, because, after all, isn't that what music is for? To glorify God and edify believers? to outright say that drums are evil is going too far, IMO. But each church needs to decide for themselves what they will do.

• Members

[quote="Bakershalfdozen"]As with anything, drums can be used for evil or for good. If you went into a bar and heard the piano jangling away with honky-tonk music, you probably would come away with a negative conotation about the piano. Most rock musicians use guitars. That doesn't mean it is wrong to use a piano or guitar.

While drums are not specifically mentioned in the Bible, percussion instruments are....many times.

The tabret/timbrel (tambourine) is a form of a drum. You can shake it or strike it.

Spoiler for verses with tabret:

[spoiler]Genesis 31:27 Wherefore didst thou flee away secretly, and steal away from me; and didst not tell me, that I might have sent thee away with mirth, and with songs, with tabret, and with harp?
1 Samuel 10:5 After that thou shalt come to the hill of God, where is the garrison of the Philistines: and it shall come to pass, when thou art come thither to the city, that thou shalt meet a company of prophets coming down from the high place with a psaltery, and a tabret, and a pipe, and a harp, before them; and they shall prophesy:
Job 17:6 He hath made me also a byword of the people; and aforetime I was as a tabret.
Isaiah 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD, neither consider the operation of his hands.[/spoiler]

Spoiler for verses with timbrel:

[spoiler]Exodus 15:20 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.
Job 21:12 They take the timbrel and harp, and rejoice at the sound of the organ.
Psalm 81:2 Take a psalm, and bring hither the timbrel, the pleasant harp with the psaltery.
Psalm 149:3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
Psalm 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.[/spoiler]

Cymbals are also percussion instruments that are loud and are to be clashed together.

[spoiler]2 Samuel 6:5 And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals.
1 Chronicles 13:8 And David and all Israel played before God with all their might, and with singing, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with cymbals, and with trumpets.
1 Chronicles 15:16 And David spake to the chief of the Levites to appoint their brethren to be the singers with instruments of music, psalteries and harps and cymbals, sounding, by lifting up the voice with joy.
1 Chronicles 15:19 So the singers, Heman, Asaph, and Ethan, were appointed to sound with cymbals of brass;
1 Chronicles 15:28 Thus all Israel brought up the ark of the covenant of the LORD with shouting, and with sound of the cornet, and with trumpets, and with cymbals, making a noise with psalteries and harps.
1 Chronicles 16:5 Asaph the chief, and next to him Zechariah, Jeiel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehiel, and Mattithiah, and Eliab, and Benaiah, and Obededom: and Jeiel with psalteries and with harps; but Asaph made a sound with cymbals;
1 Chronicles 16:42 And with them Heman and Jeduthun with trumpets and cymbals for those that should make a sound, and with musical instruments of God. And the sons of Jeduthun were porters.
1 Chronicles 25:1 Moreover David and the captains of the host separated to the service of the sons of Asaph, and of Heman, and of Jeduthun, who should prophesy with harps, with psalteries, and with cymbals: and the number of the workmen according to their service was:
1 Chronicles 25:6 All these were under the hands of their father for song in the house of the LORD, with cymbals, psalteries, and harps, for the service of the house of God, according to the king's order to Asaph, Jeduthun, and Heman.
2 Chronicles 5:12 Also the Levites which were the singers, all of them of Asaph, of Heman, of Jeduthun, with their sons and their brethren, being arrayed in white linen, having cymbals and psalteries and harps, stood at the east end of the altar, and with them an hundred and twenty priests sounding with trumpets:)
2 Chronicles 5:13 It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD;
2 Chronicles 29:25 And he set the Levites in the house of the LORD with cymbals, with psalteries, and with harps, according to the commandment of David, and of Gad the king's seer, and Nathan the prophet: for so was the commandment of the LORD by his prophets.
Ezra 3:10 And when the builders laid the foundation of the temple of the LORD, they set the priests in their apparel with trumpets, and the Levites the sons of Asaph with cymbals, to praise the LORD, after the ordinance of David king of Israel.
Nehemiah 12:27 And at the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem they sought the Levites out of all their places, to bring them to Jerusalem, to keep the dedication with gladness, both with thanksgivings, and with singing, with cymbals, psalteries, and with harps.
Psalm 150:5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.[/spoiler]

The problem in our modern culture is that so many churches, Christians and Christian musicians want to copy the world's sound. Often, when drums are used in churches, there is a drum set on the platform to the exclusion of other instruments. When the Bible mentions cymbals and tambourines being used to praise the Lord, they are mentioned in a list with other instruments.

Music has three parts: melody, harmony and rhythm. Like it or not, every song has a rhythm. It is the beat count. How many beats does each measure get? If a song is written in 3/4 time, you count: 1,2,3...1,2,3 for each measure. If it is written in 4/4 you count: 1,2,3,4....1,2,3,4 for every measure. That is the rhythm of the song. If a song has only melody but no harmony, it is lacking the richness and depth it could have. If only harmony was played, it would just sound weird. If one attempted to play a song without rhythm - well, that's almost impossible without producing a very flat, almost non-musical sound.

Orchestras use percussion instruments as one part of a whole. Percussion instruments provide the bass notes of a musical piece much like the bass singer provides the bass notes (bottom line) in a 4-part song. Percussion and rhythm belong in music - but not to the exclusion of everything else. I know of churches that use drums in an orchestra and it is perfectly fine and very beautiful. They don't have a rocky beat and aren't used exclusively. They along with other kinds of percussion instruments provide the rhythm (used in a good way) while the violins, trumpets, flutes, saxophones, etc. are providing melody and harmony.[/quote]

Very nice post. I would add further that in fact, without the rhythm (or the beat) most all music would sound like mush and chaos!

Also, im4given.....
Is a youTube reference considered on equal footing with a specific Scriptural reference concerning the subject?

• Members
Wiccan and Voodoo Religions use drums exclusively for calling spirits.

The first video clip was in reference to a Haitian voodoo ceremony - which I hestitate to even provide link to - but just to illustrate.

This is a clip to a wiccan drum circle

">

As for scriptural references the Bible is frought with references to not participate in false worship or accept pagan practices or adopt them as part of Christian Worship.

• Administrators
Drums are the only instruments used to call evil spirits. They have no place in Holy Worship.
If the drums are used to call evil spirits, you are right. They have no place in worship of the Lord. But drums are inanimate objects. They are instruments in the hands of the users. If the people playing the drums are playing them in a way that calls up evil spirits, they are wrong. If they are playing them in a way that glorifies God, they aren't wrong.

Kinda like the snake charmers punji - it's much like a clarinet. So, do we do away with clarinets or any other reed instruments because the punji is used in that way? No.

I personally believe that if a culture is heavy with something like that (like in Africa), then perhaps wisdom would dictate not using them. But that would be up to the leaders of the church, under the direction of the Holy Spirit.

• Members
If the drums are used to call evil spirits, you are right. They have no place in worship of the Lord. But drums are inanimate objects. They are instruments in the hands of the users. If the people playing the drums are playing them in a way that calls up evil spirits, they are wrong. If they are playing them in a way that glorifies God, they aren't wrong.

Kinda like the snake charmers punji - it's much like a clarinet. So, do we do away with clarinets or any other reed instruments because the punji is used in that way? No.

I personally believe that if a culture is heavy with something like that (like in Africa), then perhaps wisdom would dictate not using them. But that would be up to the leaders of the church, under the direction of the Holy Spirit.

You are wise beyond your years!