• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Drums

• Members

yes he would in some churches, in others he would be avoided, whispered about etc. My whole point was about the drums and the use of them determines error or correctness.

I know of a Church that says only real baptists wear white shirts only...

My intent was not to start a debate with you Jerry, like I said i ageed with your post. Was just using it as an example.. thats all. Enough said on my part

God Bless Bro. :smile

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
HappyChristian wrote:

I'm just glad we have a full orchestra. Our auditorium is actually quite large, so the music, with the singing, really swells to the rafters. It's lovely
!

We have a large sanctuary also with a vaulted ceiling. When the piano, mandelyn, flute, clarinet, violin, and guitars play It sound so wonderful. We are fortunate to have several folks in our church who can play a variety of insturments. On months with 5 sundays, we have talent and testamony night on the 5th sunday. The insturments play several songs. Its a real blessing. :smile

• Members

Sounds like you took me wrong. But too, I thought the discussion was about drums, and if we are not posting in this topic to discuss drums, why are we posting in it?

What does some Baptist church thinking one should wear a white shirt have to do with discussing the use of drums in Jesus' Churches?

And I posted the articles for anyone who might like to read them, it might give a bit of a biblical insight into the subject of drums. Which is probably needed, seems many of us make up our opinion what is right or wrong in Jesus' Churches by what we see others churches do, instead of going to the Bible and searching it and finding out all it has to say on the subject at hand.

Sorry if I offended you, seems everyone here is getting so touchy and defensive to the point it seems we have to walk softly as if we are going to break the eggs.

• Members

Personally, I wouldn't permit drums in any church I pastor (including the present church over which God has set me). My reasoning being that while I agree that anything can be used wrong {a car, internet, t.v.} something about a set of drums and how quickly they lend themselves to feeding the flesh tells me when I see them in church "that does not belong here". Knowing of course that many cannot submit to nor will surrender to being told what is vs is not acceptable to God, this of course may offend. So, I don't tell other churches they cannot use them....I'm not their pastor (thanks be to God).

Let me ad this thought - our refusal to bring in what I'd call "carnal, contemporary Southern Gospel, etc" type music has cost our church some numeric growth in that I've had visitors tell me they're looking for a church thats moved on from Hymnals and congregational music. I suppose some might point at that and say "see there....ya need steel guitars and drums and some flashy music". However I found it to say rather "we're not seeking Jesus, or to see souls saved or to see our walk with the Lord strengthened through seperation from worldliness.....we're hunting music thats more to our personal preferences".

I note that Jesus didn't go around singing, playing the drums or hosting youth for Christ concerts..... he went preaching. I don't mean that harshly, but rather by way of reminding myself and Christianity in general - music in church is not the focus but rather merely a thing through which we may praise God [but I notice with some curiosity that our Lord only once is recorded as having sung and when he did it wasn't contemporary music, but a hymn. {yes I know the Bible says sing a new song}, yet it seems many churches are so focused on music that music has become integral and even central to their services....even going so far as having a "minister" of music. Jesus on the other hand, focused on what the father said and went nowhere singing in the Bible. The Apostles as well - focused on preaching and souls (not music or drums). Prayer, preaching, fellowship, .... when music and drums is the focus, we're drifting in my estimation. :hide

• Administrators

I note that Jesus didn't go around singing, playing the drums or hosting youth for Christ concerts..... he went preaching. I don't mean that harshly, but rather by way of reminding myself and Christianity in general - music in church is inconsequential (like furniture) - the focus must be the words of Almighty God and the preaching, prayers and fellowship of the Saints. :thumb

True words - but God is the one who set up music in worship...Levites?? We believe that music is an integral part of worship, not inconsequential. If it were inconsequential, then there wouldn't be any reason to have a standard of music, would there? Not important, after all. Yes, the focus must be God's words, but music is important, or God wouldn't have addressed it in His Word.

Kudos to you, PastorH, for working to make sure the world stays out of your church! And I agree, drum sets do seem to indicate music that will feed the flesh. But not all drums do. If rightly used, they enhance the music. Flashy music doesn't exist at our church. But we do have orchestral drums in our orchestra...and the music is beautiful and uplifting.

Instruments are simply that - instruments. Lifeless and inanimate, until one who knows how to use them brings them "to life." Just as a butcher knife can be used either to chop up some extremely good eats or to murder someone, so, too, can ANY instrument be used in a God-dishonoring way (just look at Jerry Lee Lewis on the piano...can make those keys sing, but not the right kind of songs!).

I am not offended by anyone who thinks drums are wrong. That is each person's perogative before the Lord. But we have to be careful of saying that people aren't surrendered or willing to obey just because they have drums (note - I am not talking about drum sets, as I think I've made quite clear in my previous posts!) with their band or orchestra.

Drums are percussion instruments, just like the tambourine. Lack of mention in the Bible doesn't automatically make it wrong, else pianos would be wrong. Yes, pianos are a stringed instrument, but they didn't exist until the 1700's (hence, they were not indicated in the "stringed instruments" mentioned in the Bible). And they were created from the harpsichord, which wasn't invented until the middle ages.

Balance and moderation are the key.

• Members

I think that when some people think of drums in a church, they picture a drum set on the platform. No one here would approve of such a thing.

Most, however, would approve of an orchestra, of which drums are an integral part if it is to be complete. There is a brass section, a woodwind section, a strings section and a percussion section. It is similar to singing a 4-part harmony. What would you do without the bass line? The song wouldn't sound as full. Percussion instruments generally provide some of the bass line and set the rhythm (that isn't a bad word) of a musical piece.

Having been to HappyChristian's church, I can testify that they have an orchestra and a very nice one indeed. When I was there, the orchestra has its own section just off the platform by the piano. I'm just guessing at the numbers here but when you have 20 or so woodwind players and 20 or so brass players and 20 or so string players, 3-4 percussion players cannot produce that imbalanced, worldly sound that we would shun.

• Members
Personally, I wouldn't permit drums in any church I pastor (including the present church over which God has set me). My reasoning being that while I agree that anything can be used wrong {a car, internet, t.v.} something about a set of drums and how quickly they lend themselves to feeding the flesh tells me when I see them in church "that does not belong here". Knowing of course that many cannot submit to nor will surrender to being told what is vs is not acceptable to God, this of course may offend. So, I don't tell other churches they cannot use them....I'm not their pastor (thanks be to God).

Let me ad this thought - our refusal to bring in what I'd call "carnal, contemporary Southern Gospel, etc" type music has cost our church some numeric growth in that I've had visitors tell me they're looking for a church thats moved on from Hymnals and congregational music. I suppose some might point at that and say "see there....ya need steel guitars and drums and some flashy music". However I found it to say rather "we're not seeking Jesus, or to see souls saved or to see our walk with the Lord strengthened through seperation from worldliness.....we're hunting music thats more to our personal preferences".

I note that Jesus didn't go around singing, playing the drums or hosting youth for Christ concerts..... he went preaching. I don't mean that harshly, but rather by way of reminding myself and Christianity in general - music in church is not the focus but rather merely a thing through which we may praise God [but I notice with some curiosity that our Lord only once is recorded as having sung and when he did it wasn't contemporary music, but a hymn. {yes I know the Bible says sing a new song}, yet it seems many churches are so focused on music that music has become integral and even central to their services....even going so far as having a "minister" of music. Jesus on the other hand, focused on what the father said and went nowhere singing in the Bible. The Apostles as well - focused on preaching and souls (not music or drums). Prayer, preaching, fellowship, .... when music and drums is the focus, we're drifting in my estimation. :hide

Yes, all of those paid positions of music soak up money that could be better spent on God's real causes.

At one church I was a member of there was one, maybe even 2 men who could have easily made it in the Christians singing business. They both claimed, my voice is for the glory of God, not for my own glory and not for me to live off of God singing Christians music.

I know of a couple of singing families who have felt the same way, and churches with in reasonable distance of them they would go to that church if invited to sing, but they did so only for the glory of God and would not take one cent, not even the price of gas to get them there and back home. They felt there was much more important things to spend God's money on than listening to them sing.

Its quite amazing at how most of those commercial professional singers promote them self, I've visited a few of their web sites and it seems its more about I than its about God.

But that said, many churches have become nothing but entertainment centers with the pastor being the promoter instead of the pastor of a New Testament Church.

• Members

No worries Jerry, you can always speak your mind to me. I was not offended.

I was just using some examples as "types" (the white shirt example). Im still talking about drums, just using examples in comparrison. Im sorry if I wasnt clear. that is a challenge of a message board and not having face to face discussions.

Carry on brother, it all Good.

And yes everything we do must be measured against the Word of God. Our Churches are already filled with to much of mens traditions.

• Members

Don't ya'll get me wrong now.... I am a music fanatic.... far as I am concerned, there's gospel bluegrass banjo music in heaven 24/7 and when you get saved you love gospel banjo music....initial evidence of salvation :cool like my pentecostal brethren :lol I remember too that David hired professional singers for the Lord's work under his control..... probably used drums too I figure in all reality.

However, he also exposed himself whilst dancing, committed adultery and had a man murdered... a bit on the carnal side if I dare say as much. Still, God called him perfect....and Jesus will sit on the Throne of David forever....

My :2cents is just that - while music can be wonderful, can lend itself wonderfully to praise of God, music has also lent itself to hellish behavior in the Bible....Herod's decapitation of John comes to mind.... Aaron's golden calf disco extravaganza etc....

Music (and drums in particular in my opinion) can be dangerous and cause harm in a hurry.....it isn't something to be approached with open arms on unconditional surrender terms.

• Administrators
Don't ya'll get me wrong now.... I am a music fanatic.... far as I am concerned, there's gospel bluegrass banjo music in heaven 24/7 and when you get saved you love gospel banjo music....initial evidence of salvation :cool like my pentecostal brethren :lol I remember too that David hired professional singers for the Lord's work under his control..... probably used drums too I figure in all reality.

However, he also exposed himself whilst dancing, committed adultery and had a man murdered... a bit on the carnal side if I dare say as much. Still, God called him perfect....and Jesus will sit on the Throne of David forever....

My :2cents is just that - while music can be wonderful, can lend itself wonderfully to praise of God, music has also lent itself to hellish behavior in the Bible....Herod's decapitation of John comes to mind.... Aaron's golden calf disco extravaganza etc....

Music (and drums in particular in my opinion) can be dangerous and cause harm in a hurry.....it isn't something to be approached with open arms on unconditional surrender terms.

Out of curiosity, where does the Bible say that David exposed himself?

• Members

It says in II Samuel 6: 16-20 that David danced before the Lord with all his might and his wife Michal said that he shamelessly uncovered himself as a vain fellow would. He may have, but if he did, it was not intentional.
CJP56.

• Members
It says in II Samuel 6: 16-20 that David danced before the Lord with all his might and his wife Michal said that he shamelessly uncovered himself as a vain fellow would. He may have, but if he did, it was not intentional.
CJP56.

Our pastor recently preached on this. From the text and the context of what the Bible says of David, it's not likely that he was dancing naked. The two most likely ideas of what David did was either partially disrobe (with his private areas still covered) or it's possible that the "shamelessly uncovered" was more of a reference to Michal thinking that David wasn't acting kingly enough, thus exposing himself as "just a man" in front of everyone. David's response to Michal must be considered in all this.

• Members

King David would not be dancing naked. But it is entirely possible that with leaping and jumping up in the air, with all his might, his coat or robe could have flipped up high enough to momentarily uncover his private area. And that could have happened several times. David's response to Michal's scolding seems to be: So what! God appointed me king of Israel and I will play if I want to. Evidently whatever David had been doing did not displease God. But Michal's disdain did displease God and He punished her for it. At least, that is what I think the verses are saying. CJP56

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Remember how most people dressed in that time/place, so vigorous dancing could easily cause the dancer to "flash" the peanut gallery.

And I reject the whole "drums' thingie as just another MAN-MADE doctrinette. If Ringo Starr were to become a Christian & offered to drum for our choir, I'd welcome him gladly. (BTW, my church has no choir-it's too small & I doubt if any of us could carry a tune in a bucket-I can't, but I AM a fair drummer & axe-banger.)

Nuffin wrong with music in church regardless of what instruments are used long as the primary purpose of church services isn't supplanted by ENTERTAINMENT.