• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Drums

• Members

I personally think that drums are just fine in parades and for, as they say, "marching off to war", and in symphony orchestras, but NO drums in church please!!!!!!! Sorry, but if we see them on a church podium, we don't go back!!!!
CJP56

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
I personally think that drums are just fine in parades and for, as they say, "marching off to war", and in symphony orchestras, but NO drums in church please!!!!!!! Sorry, but if we see them on a church podium, we don't go back!!!!
CJP56

I would agree with you, CJP56, if the drums were a drum set or bongos. But, truly, if you saw the timpani and snare in our orchestra and turned around and walked out - you'd be missing a big blessing! Not only is the music wonderful, but the preaching is scriptural and the fellowship is great. Besides which, our orchestra isn't front and center like praise bands are - the emphasis in our church is not on the instrument.

Janet - the inciting to the flesh that has been referenced is talking about lusting, violence, etc. Yes, march music causes one to want to march. But it doesn't incite the fleshly desires that rock music does.

• Members

I am not talking about drums in a setting amongst a lot of other instruments that are not even visible from the pews. If your church is the one I am thinking of, we have been in your church LuAnne, back in the 90's. If the music is the same now as it was then, then that is fine. The music then was great. I am also not talking about bongo drums. I am talking about walking into a church and on the platform is a big ol' set of drums. NO thank you!!!! Those drums are played almost without exception in a rock music beat format, and we want nothing to do with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CJP56.

• Administrators
I am not talking about drums in a setting amongst a lot of other instruments that are not even visible from the pews. If your church is the one I am thinking of' date=' we have been in your church LuAnne, back in the 90's. If the music is the same now as it was then, then that is fine. The music then was great. I am also not talking about bongo drums. I am talking about walking into a church and on the platform is a big ol' set of drums. NO thank you!!!! Those drums are played almost without exception in a rock music beat format, and we want nothing to do with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CJP56.[/quote']

I kinda thought that's what you meant...I think, really, it's what most people think of when they talk about drums in church. I go to Fairhaven, FYI. The music is the same now as it was then. Only now we have a lot more strings. Many of our students have learned violin and viola, cello, etc. In the '90's we had basically a band (not a rock one, folks!!!), but with the addition of the strings we became a full-fledged orchestra. :Green And the music is beautiful.

The orchestra actually has moved now. We expanded our building, so we expanded the platform. The orchestra sits in front of the choir now (although the choir is on raised steps), but we have a modestly railing - you can't see much of 'em!

I completely agree - drum sets and I'm outta there, too!

• Members

i do. If you read my post, drums are the only instruments I can truly hear and feel. In a way, they remind me of thunders sometime.

That is truly interesting. I looooooooooooooooooooooove thunder and lightning and even simulate them sometimes on a small scale in my workshop with electronic apparati.

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest
Drums are the only instruments used to call evil spirits. They have no place in Holy Worship.

">

Ephesians 5

10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

Guest Guest

That is truly interesting. I looooooooooooooooooooooove thunder and lightning and even simulate them sometimes on a small scale in my workshop with electronic apparati.

:uuhm: just like an engineer would say :lol

• Members

Might as well throw my :2cents in.

Insturments are not bad, its how they are used. That case has been made and scripture shown.

My brother in law told an old man one day that he just loved the old hymn Amazing Grace. The old man replied, this song is not that old to me.

Christians must be careful of man made teachings here.

Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Just as once the wearing of wire rimmed glasses was called worldly and sinnful, so are many things including drums.

I hear drums and electric guitars spoken against, then a Christian singing group will show up with electric insturments singing bluegrass style music, and I am told that is ok. Sounds double minded to me. (not calling anyone here double minded.) Just saying these contradictions are all around us. Good Godly men and women doing thier best to honor the Lord, may have different views on this.

The key is follow the Word of God and the leading of the Holy Ghost. The bible does not explain everything in clarity.

Not to hi-jack here but just use an example. We are told how to dress a certain way or we are not being Godly. Yet, if John the Baptist walked into our Churches today wearing his camel hair and bringing a honey comb to the potluck would he be welcome?

Just as people say "guns kill people", the truth is no they dont people kill people.

Drums are not evil. They can be used for evil. When used right they are God honoring. IF it is your Churches conviction not to have them in Church, then amen, stand strong, But that does not make them evil.

I rambled a little. Sorry for that. :smile

• Members

If we walked into the mist where John the Baptist walked dressed in suit and ties I'n sure we would not be accepted, so in a way that is a mute point.

The thing about drums is many of us have seen the direction church have gone after accepting drums during their worship service, we don't want ours to go that direction, so we guard against it.

There are new songs that are probably out right now that are great songs, and would be accepted in many of the churches, represented here, but if its CCM, rap, blue grass, and such, forget it, I don't want it. I like to keep the world out and not go the way of the world.

Once a few years back the local Mennonites sang at a funeral service in our local large SBC Church, they got many compliments how great their singing was.

A Mennonite told me, If they would haul all of their electric musical instruments out of the church where they could in fact hear their own singing, they would find out that their singing was real good, the problem is they can't hear it for the loud music.

There is nothing under the sun that sounds better than 1, 2, 3, or how ever many, singing a good Christian Hymn with only the music of a piano. You don't need a bunch of loud music to sing praises to God in one of Jesus Churches.

And if a church is paying their musicians, that money could be put to a lot better use than paying musicians.

I remember years ago we had singers that would come once in a while, they used only the piano and how great they sounded.

Modern singers have to pull a trailer or 2 to haul all of their equipment and they do not sound as near good as those in earlier times did.

• Members

Good post Jerry

I think you missed my point on John the Baptist but thats ok.

I agree with what you have said, im just saying drums are not wrong. It, like any other insturment, including the human voice is only wrong when used wrong.

Sound boards have volume controls. It just that some do not want to or do not know how to use them correctly. :smile

• Administrators
What is a timbrel?

Same thing as a tambourine...a percussion instrument, like drums. Percussion instruments held keep the count in an orchestra. And they add more beauty to already beautiful music.

I agree, Jerry, that loud music can detract from the words of a song - especially if it is done in the modernistic way so many churches now favor. Even with our beautiful orchestra, if it's playing at full tilt and only one person is singing, that would be very overwhelming. But it sure does enhance the congregational singing!

There's nothing in scripture that says every church has to use the same instruments. If the church people only want a piano, that's fine. I'm just glad we have a full orchestra. Our auditorium is actually quite large, so the music, with the singing, really swells to the rafters. It's lovely!

• Members
http://www.bibleplus.org/music/music.htm

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/bible/music.html

Do a bit of reading.

I thought I got the point on John the Baptist. That said, I don't believe I have ever seen anyone turned away from church because of the way they were dressed or for what they brought to pot luck.