• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are You Thankful That Barack Obama Was Elected President?

Guest Guest

Are You Thankful That Barack Obama Was Elected President?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Thankful That Barack Obama Was Elected President?

• No.
    • Yes.

[color=#0000FF]"1 Timothy 2:1-2 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, [u]and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority;[/u] that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty."

"1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."[/color]

• Members

Nope, and I echo what HC said.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I see someone take I Thess. 5:18 out of context. Seth, I am not saying or implying that you did. It's just that I see and hear many people use it as a cloak and catch-all, and even for being thankful for sin and who knows what all of evil in their lives.

My take on Obama's "usurping/stealing the throne" goes like this:::::::::

#1. I'm thankful God has everything under control.

#2. I'm thankful that God cannot make any mistakes at all. He allowed this for a reason. Who knows but that it might even be for the very same reason that a wicked king Herod was on the throne when Jesus was born.

#3. I'm thankful that God always takes care of His own in any and all situations.

#4. I'm thankful that His Pure and Holy Word is always accurate and has all of the right answers.

Nope, and I echo what HC said.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I see someone take I Thess. 5:18 out of context. Seth, I am not saying or implying that you did. It's just that I see and hear many people use it as a cloak and catch-all, and even for being thankful for sin and who knows what all of evil in their lives.

My take on Obama's "usurping/stealing the throne" goes like this:::::::::
#1. I'm thankful God has everything under control.
#2. I'm thankful that God cannot make any mistakes at all. He allowed this for a reason. Who knows but that it might even be for the very same reason that a wicked king Herod was on the throne when Jesus was born.
#3. I'm thankful that God always takes care of His own in any and all situations.
#4. I'm thankful that His Pure and Holy Word is always accurate and has all of the right answers.

You just implied that he did take it out of context. The verse means, however, we should give thanks no matter what circumstances we are in, and no matter what happens. I honestly do not think anyone could seriously say they were thankful for sin in their lives.
This aside, I think the verses from 1st Timothy that Seth quoted take care of things.
If you don't mind me asking, Pneu, what does that verse mean in its context?
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Members

CM,

Glad you asked. :thumb

As I indicated before, in whatsoever state I find myself (i.e. poor, wealthy, healthy or sick) I am to give God thanks no matter what. The way the Bible is written it was intended to give us credit for common sense. I can thank God for where He has placed me and what He is doing in my life.

We are NEVER to be cavalier and thank God for sin, wrongdoing or a habit that is tough to break. That is what I meant when I said taking the verse out of context, and credited Seth with NOT doing that. I say again, I wish I had a nickel for each one of all of those that do this. I'd split it with you and we could both retire. :clap: :thumb :Green

CM,

Glad you asked. :thumb

As I indicated before, in whatsoever state I find myself (i.e. poor, wealthy, healthy or sick) I am to give God thanks no matter what. The way the Bible is written it was intended to give us credit for common sense. I can thank God for where He has placed me and what He is doing in my life.

We are NEVER to be cavalier and thank God for sin, wrongdoing or a habit that is tough to break. That is what I meant when I said taking the verse out of context, and credited Seth with NOT doing that. I say again, I wish I had a nickel for each one of all of those that do this. I'd split it with you and we could both retire. :clap: :thumb :Green

Ah, OK, I guess I just misunderstood you. :smile I'm terribly sorry about that.
So, you are thankful that Barack Obama was elected president?
God bless,
Crushmaster.

Thank you for your replies to the poll question, everyone. Now for the follow-up question:
Why are you thankful/not thankful that Barack Obama was elected president?
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Administrators

I am not thankful that Obama was elected because I know how wicked his policies are. Why would I be thankful that a baby murderer, who has promised to remove the ban on partial birth abortion, is in office?

Can I be thankful within in the parameters of an Obama administration? Of course I can, as PE so eloquently listed. But I don't have to be thankful for the man himself. If I were thankful for HIM, then I would be thankful for all of the wickedness he brings with him.

As I said, I am thankful that God is still on the throne. He allowed this to happen, for His own reasons, and we will see them unfold as days go by. I can be thankful that, no matter what happens with an Obama administration, I am a child of the King and I have a home in Heaven prepared for me - for eternity. I can be thankful that I live in a country that made history with this election, even though I don't like him. I can be thankful that I know I didn't vote for him. I can be thankful we still have a voting process, even though it has been tampered with. See - I don't have to be thankful that Obama was elected - but I can be thankful within those parameters.

If I break my leg, do I have to be thankful that it broke? That I have a hospital bill? That I might always have problems with that leg the rest of my life? No - that isn't what 1 Thess 5:18 is talking about. But there are so many things inside that issue for which someone can be thankful - that the leg was the only thing broken; that I had a leg that could break; that I live in America where (for now) I can get it taken care of quickly and well; that my friends can sign my cast; that there are crutches I can use; that God put me on my back for a while and I can look to Him, spending more time in prayer and reading of His Word....and so on.

I am not thankful that Obama was elected because I know how wicked his policies are. Why would I be thankful that a baby murderer, who has promised to remove the ban on partial birth abortion, is in office?

Can I be thankful within in the parameters of an Obama administration? Of course I can, as PE so eloquently listed. But I don't have to be thankful for the man himself. If I were thankful for HIM, then I would be thankful for all of the wickedness he brings with him.

As I said, I am thankful that God is still on the throne. He allowed this to happen, for His own reasons, and we will see them unfold as days go by. I can be thankful that, no matter what happens with an Obama administration, I am a child of the King and I have a home in Heaven prepared for me - for eternity. I can be thankful that I live in a country that made history with this election, even though I don't like him. I can be thankful that I know I didn't vote for him. I can be thankful we still have a voting process, even though it has been tampered with. See - I don't have to be thankful that Obama was elected - but I can be thankful within those parameters.

If I break my leg, do I have to be thankful that it broke? That I have a hospital bill? That I might always have problems with that leg the rest of my life? No - that isn't what 1 Thess 5:18 is talking about. But there are so many things inside that issue for which someone can be thankful - that the leg was the only thing broken; that I had a leg that could break; that I live in America where (for now) I can get it taken care of quickly and well; that my friends can sign my cast; that there are crutches I can use; that God put me on my back for a while and I can look to Him, spending more time in prayer and reading of His Word....and so on.

Right on the money, HC.

Besides---the scripture is Romans 13, NOT--- 1 Thess 5:18. :thumb

• Members
So, you are thankful that Barack Obama was elected president?
God bless,
Crushmaster.

I'm not thankful that Obama was elected president because he is the embodiment of evil to a very great degree, as evidenced by his campaign rhetoric. However, I am very thankful that....

***God is in control of all things and will take care of His own.

...and,

***God's Pure and Holy Word is always in effect and up-to-date.

Consider the following verses from Proverbs:::::::

<< Proverbs 24 >>

19 Fret not thyself because of evil men, neither be thou envious at the wicked;

What could possibly be more evil and wicked than murdering babies wholsale. Obama voted
4 times to have the babies murdered that escaped death by abortion. :eek:eek

20 For there shall be no reward to the evil man; the candle of the wicked shall be put out.

Yes indeedy, God will take care of them in His own way. :thumb

21 My son, fear thou the LORD and the king: and meddle not with them that are given to change:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA!!!!! Where have we heard that before?????????? Hitler came into power on a mantra of "Change" as well.

22 For their calamity shall rise suddenly; and who knoweth the ruin of them both?

God, Himself will take care of this situation and we can be exceedingly thankful for that.

So then, let me repeat that I echo HC. :thumb :Green

A partial copy from David Cloud's "Friday Church News":
Quote:
In a 2004 interview with Cathleen Falsani of the Chicago Sun Times, Barack Obama candidly expressed his religious views. He said that he doesn?t read the Bible or pray regularly. He is suspicious of dogma and certainty and thinks that ?religion at its best comes with a big dose of doubt? (?Obama?s Fascinating Interview with Cathleen Falsani,? BeliefNet, Nov. 11, 2008). He believes that Jesus is a wonderful teacher, that sin is ?being out of alignment with my values,? and that heaven might be ?now or in the hereafter.? He doesn?t ?presume to have knowledge of what happens after I die.? Though he claims to reject religious dogmatism, he dogmatically rejects the doctrine of hell. He rejects ?the belief that people that haven?t embraced Jesus Christ as their personal savior are going to hell.?

OBAMA WATCH CENTRAL
Imaging guru: 'Certification' of birth time, location is fake
'It would be hard to perform as president from behind jail cell door at Leavenworth'
Posted: December 01, 2008
10:20 pm Eastern

By Bob Unruh