• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Rewards in heaven?

• Members

I think we all can agree that when we get to heaven we all want to hear the words "well done thy good and faithful servant." I also think we can agree that among the "saved," everyone is at a different "place" if you will in his/her walk with The Lord. I've also heard that many in heaven will not hear the words "well done..."

I've heard/learned that depending on how well our walk is while we are still here on this earth, that that will dictate how many crowns we will receive in heaven, which in turn we cast back at the Lord's feet.

I've also heard that there are degrees of punishment in Hell....are there degrees of blessings in Heaven?

This has come to mind as I've been thinking about some people who are supposedly saved, who were once faithful in attending church, but now haven't seen them in months (in some cases). How does one approach these people (including the backslidden) and counter the arguement "I'm saved, I'm going to heaven, that's all I need?"

I ask this in humility, not trying to look down at others or be like the pharisees.....

• Members

I agree, punishment in hell will be mete out = to what that person has done, & in heaven, some will be saved only as by fire, no rewards at all. Its seems that there lots of Christians that believe that in heaven everyone will be equal, I do not find that teaching in the Holy Bible.

• Members

I think we all can agree that when we get to heaven we all want to hear the words "well done thy good and faithful servant." I also think we can agree that among the "saved," everyone is at a different "place" if you will in his/her walk with The Lord. I've also heard that many in heaven will not hear the words "well done..."

I've heard/learned that depending on how well our walk is while we are still here on this earth, that that will dictate how many crowns we will receive in heaven, which in turn we cast back at the Lord's feet.

I've also heard that there are degrees of punishment in Hell....are there degrees of blessings in Heaven?

Yes, no doubt about it, rewards in heaven are tied to what you did with what you were given on earth. The parables of Christ and the writings of the apostles make that pretty clear.

This has come to mind as I've been thinking about some people who are supposedly saved, who were once faithful in attending church, but now haven't seen them in months (in some cases). How does one approach these people (including the backslidden) and counter the arguement "I'm saved, I'm going to heaven, that's all I need?"

That is a difficult question because there is not going to be a cut and dried one size fits all best way to deal with every person in this area. It requires a certain amount of guidance from the Holy Spirit. Differing approaches might be best depending on the individuals personality, the root cause they are falling away etc. For example is the person falling away due to being dragged down by bad friends/associations, exposure to bad doctrine, depression, discouragement, carelessness, or something else? Do they tend to be a hardheaded thick skinned individual or do they tend to be more emotionally sensitive? All those things are going to make a difference and the best way to deal with one individuals situation might not be the best way to deal with another.

If a person was once faithful in church attendance and then fails to show up for months then obviously something has changed somewhere. They obviously know that faithfulness is important or they would never have been faithful in the first place. If their response when approached about it is something along the lines of "I'm saved, I'm going to heaven, that's all I need." then most likely that is a defensive statement intended to deflect attention from the actual problem. Most likely if they were once faithful and now aren't they don't even really believe that statement themselves. Now you could go into a doctrinal discourse on exactly why their statement is flawed and so forth, but since a statement of that sort is most likely a defensive reaction/deflection anyway it isn't always best to address such statements head on. Many times it might be better to let such statements slide without argument while one does a little careful and tactful questioning to uncover the real issue. If the real root cause is uncovered you can go from there, but if you go after a diversion you probably will not get very far. Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

I don't think I've ever heard anyone claiming to be a Christian say, "I've saved. I'm going to heaven. That's all I need." Especially an IFBer. I think this argument is a hypothetical one that people have taken for granted that someone has actually said. Everyone I've talked to about or heard speak about the issue of heaven and hell have always either said that they are concerned where they end up or that they don't really care. Even when I was backslidden and living like the devil I would never tempt God by saying the above statement.

Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

I've seen many live life as if, I'm saved, I've got my free pass to heaven, I need not bother with serving Jesus in a church nor supporting His missions.

Some of those people that are saved that fail to attend church claims that they had a bad experience at church, & because of that bad experience they will never attend church services again. Those that make this claim I try to remind them of the bad experiences Jesus had, yet He still freely laid down His life on the cross so that we could have a Savior. That their bad experiences will never compare to the bad experience our Savior had.

I can't help but wonder if this verse fits many of them.
1Jo 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

One thing I fail to understand is why would all of those that claim to love Jesus, claim to be saved, yet lives for the world, claims Jesus means everything to them, yet never supports one of Jesus' Churches with their presents, nor support its missions with their money, do not like to fellow ship with Jesus' brother's and sister's while singing godly songs, studying His Word, listening to His Word proclaimed by a preacher, surely they would not feel at home, comfortable, in heaven & would not have anything in common with God & the Savior if they cannot feel comfortable in one of His Churches.

As far as any rewards, crowns, are concerned, those that receive them will be very humble knowing they deserve no glory, passing them along to the One that is worthy of all glory.

• Members
I've seen many live life as if, I'm saved, I've got my free pass to heaven, I need not bother with serving Jesus in a church nor supporting His missions.

Some of those people that are saved that fail to attend church claims that they had a bad experience at church, & because of that bad experience they will never attend church services again. Those that make this claim I try to remind them of the bad experiences Jesus had, yet He still freely laid down His life on the cross so that we could have a Savior. That their bad experiences will never compare to the bad experience our Savior had.

I can't help but wonder if this verse fits many of them.
1Jo 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

One thing I fail to understand is why would all of those that claim to love Jesus, claim to be saved, yet lives for the world, claims Jesus means everything to them, yet never supports one of Jesus' Churches with their presents, nor support its missions with their money, do not like to fellow ship with Jesus' brother's and sister's while singing godly songs, studying His Word, listening to His Word proclaimed by a preacher, surely they would not feel at home, comfortable, in heaven & would not have anything in common with God & the Savior if they cannot feel comfortable in one of His Churches.

As far as any rewards, crowns, are concerned, those that receive them will be very humble knowing they deserve no glory, passing them along to the One that is worthy of all glory.

Right Jerry, it's as you say (which is what my initial intent was to say) that many "act" as if they have their ticket to heaven, so they can go back to their old ways, which is something our pastor preaches on from time to time. Not only is it bad testimony, it also tends to give the unsaved justification (in their mind) to not attend church, etc. because they see a "saved" person doing the same things they are.

No, none of us are worthy of receiving anything good, for we are all sinners, but saved by grace.

I guess maybe I'm just thinking this one out too far and maybe trying to make more of it. Maybe it is just as simple as for those whose walk with The Lord is very good that they will hear the words "well done..." and be able to cast many crowns at His feet as compared to those who will not hear the words "well done...." and have few if any crowns.

• Members

I tried to respond to this several times when it was first posted but kept getting an error message.

Much has already been said. I've encountered those who say all they care about it being saved. One guy said he didn't care if he was a dog catcher in heaven so he didn't care about rewards, only that he was going to heaven. Some have said they can live however they want, they "know" they are going to heaven.

If they are receptive they need to be shown that Scripture clearly says we should examine ourselves to know whether we are truly saved or not. Scripture says we are not called simply to be converted, but rather to become disciples of Christ, actual followers of Christ. We are told that if we are born again then we are and will be further changed. We are told what fruits show signs of our salvation and what fruits don't. If a person who is sincere in wanting to be saved is confronted with these facts they will check them out.

However, if the person simply wants to believe they are going to heaven so they can do whatever they please now without a guilty conscience, then they are likely lost and won't be receptive.

• Members

Right Jerry, it's as you say (which is what my initial intent was to say) that many "act" as if they have their ticket to heaven, so they can go back to their old ways, which is something our pastor preaches on from time to time. Not only is it bad testimony, it also tends to give the unsaved justification (in their mind) to not attend church, etc. because they see a "saved" person doing the same things they are.

No, none of us are worthy of receiving anything good, for we are all sinners, but saved by grace.

I guess maybe I'm just thinking this one out too far and maybe trying to make more of it. Maybe it is just as simple as for those whose walk with The Lord is very good that they will hear the words "well done..." and be able to cast many crowns at His feet as compared to those who will not hear the words "well done...." and have few if any crowns.

I don't think so, I think your looking at it like many of us have, it just takes a while to figure it out and come to an understanding of it.

I recall as a young boy hearing 3 or 4 deacons in a conversation about rewards, and hearing one of them say, "If I receive any rewards I will throw minr at the feet of Jesus," or something like that. Not that many years back that come to my mind, and I started trying to understand these rewards and such.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

"I'm saved, I'm going to heaven, that's all I need?"

It reminds me of the similar response people will say concerning 'love' and life. "I've got love. That's all I need." "I don't need to be concerned about old age. I'll never get old."

Perhaps in some cases 'nailing them against the wall' with God's will, want, desire, for their life and actions would be best. If the theater is on fire, that is the time to yell FIRE!

• Members

I'm saved, and that is all I need.

Because of His grace, I'd like to please Him with my life. If that gets me some rewards in Heaven then that's just icing on the cake.

Yes. I think the main point is that the true follower of Christ is actually trying to follow Christ while many who proclaim, "I'm saved, that's all that matters", don't care about following Christ, they want to live as they please and still believe they will escape hell.

• Members

Well, you and I both agree that regardless of how a Christian lives he will escape Hell based upon the merits of Christ. He will however suffer consequenses in this life and the next - but he will still make it to Heaven.

Yes, with regards to an actual Christian, but there are many who are not actual born again Christians who think they are heading to heaven for one false reason or another, and the reason they live as they do is they simply don't care because they think they are going to heaven.

• Members

Well, you and I both agree that regardless of how a Christian lives he will escape Hell based upon the merits of Christ. He will however suffer consequenses in this life and the next - but he will still make it to Heaven.

So you think some people will be punished, that is suffer consequences in heaven? I'm just asking trying to understand what you stated.