• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Analyzing "Adapted" CCM Songs

• Members
ccmgroups3

Republished September 1, 2011 (first published March 29, 2011) (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article) -

ACCESS THE FOLLOWING LINK FOR THE VIDEO CLIPS THAT ACCOMPANY THIS ARTICLE:
http://www.wayoflife.org/adaptingCCM/index.html

Many fundamentalist and Independent Baptist churches are “adapting” Contemporary Christian Music by selecting songs with some sort of a biblical message and toning down the rhythm, dropping the drums and bass guitar, and such. They are trying to take the rock out of Christian rock.

In this report we will analyze three examples of this as performed in recent months at Lancaster Baptist Church in Lancaster, California, home of West Coast Baptist College. As one of the largest and most influential Independent Baptist churches and schools, Lancaster has been leading the way in the adaptation of CCM for many years, and this influence has spread to churches in many parts of the world. 

In these clips we compare the Independent Baptist “adapted” editions of CCM intercut with the “real stuff” performed by the original CCM groups. (Please note, these clips change back and forth between the CCM artists and the music recorded in the church, though in some instances, they are so close in sound and feel it may be hard to tell which is which.)

View the full article

• Members

There should be no "adapted CCM" anything in a God-fearing church.

If Mick Jagger wrote a proper hymn to the Lord should we play it? Not in Mick's current condition!

The purpose of CCM is to bring the world into our churches. Some CCM songs are specifically meant to infiltrate fundamentalist churches and bring them under the fold of the Catholic church. The decision of whether or not to introduce CCM music in any form into our churches has little to do with the music itself. It's mainly about separation as a great many CCM artists have little or no testimony to speak of, they associate with the world and real rock-n-roll and are ecumenical for starters.

• Members

Those are some good points swathdiver. I use to be big into CCM. I have gone to hundreds of CCM concerts and have owned hundreds of CCM CDs. I then started to realize that many of these artists consider Catholics as their Christian brothers. With that and the weak to out right bad theology I knew I had to do away with CCM.

• Members

Those are some good points swathdiver. I use to be big into CCM.

Thanks. Soon after salvation I started listening to CCM too. I was surprised and didn't even know those radio stations existed. After listening a while I noticed that many weren't too different from the mainstream secular music I'd been listening to for 30+ years. So I asked myself why bother? I finally developed a taste for Country but thought it odd that these guys would write songs about the Lord and Faith and write others on booze and adultery. Some guys I took a liking to even co-wrote songs with liberals! AHHHH!!! LOL Beginning to practice even a mild form of separation, there was no way I'd listen to songs written by a guy who co-authored music with Godless liberals.

Now it's been nearly completely removed from presence. I say "nearly" because songs radomly pop into my head throughout the day, stuff I listened to regularly for decades. I've been trying hard the past year to learn the hymns and have happily realized over the last several months thay they are beginning to displace those worldly songs. I can't do that or anything else on my own though, I ask the Lord for help all the time!