• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Holy Spirit Working

• Members

I realize that there are many different teachings in the Religious world about the Holy Spirit. I hear people talk about the Holy Spirit working working on the sinner in some miraculous way in order to bring him to salvation. But, I see so many who do not get saved. Since God is not a respector of persons and desires all men to be saved, how is all of this reconciled? Wouldn't the Holy Spirit, if it is operating on one individual in such a manner, opperate on everyone? Wouldn't it be able to get everyone saved?

Does anyone have a thought on this?

• Members

When a person is under Holy Ghost conviction. God the Holy Spirit convicts them of sin, righteousness and judgement; and He lifts up the Lord Jesus Christ. But we have the choice to accept or reject.

Felix did......
Acts 24:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

• Members

I believe that the Spirit works in every man to some extent, but those that respond are the fruitful ones. This could be what the Lord meant by wanting every man to be saved, and so He provides salvation for all It rests on free moral agency of man, as was already mentioned, we have the choice. Satan offers the delicacies of this world to us, and our flesh finds it hard to resist them. The "miraculous way" that you speak of is two-way street; the entire plan is miraculous.

• Members

When a person is under Holy Ghost conviction. God the Holy Spirit convicts them of sin, righteousness and judgement; and He lifts up the Lord Jesus Christ. But we have the choice to accept or reject.

Felix did......
Acts 24:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

But it does not say that Felix had the HS doing anything miraculous to him. I certainly see free will for each person. I just can't reconcile to two points of the HS working miraculously with the fact that so many never respond.

• Members

But it does not say that Felix had the HS doing anything miraculous to him. I certainly see free will for each person. I just can't reconcile to two points of the HS working miraculously with the fact that so many never respond.

The Holy Spirit calls, entreats, pricks the conscience, etc. but he does not "force" people to be saved. Otherwise there would never be verses like these:
"Acts 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye."

"Hebrews 3:7-11 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)"

• Members

The Holy Spirit is mysterious, and we will never fully understand how the Spirit works and the freewill issue. For example, John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit in the womb (see Luke 1). Did he have a choice in the matter? We receive the Spirit at salvation. Just some food for thought.