• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Where do we draw the line for IFB?

• Administrators

I would like for this to be a civil discussion. The problem is that an IFB can mean many sort of things. For example, this website is and mostly IFB, but some say we are too IFB while other state we are not IFB enough. Where in your mind should Online Baptist/We draw the line for IFB?

• Members

I wouldn't consider one IFB if they are fans of Billy Graham, Rick Warren and the Willow Creek gang. I also believe they should believe in a literal Genesis, the Bible being the final authority and that spiritual gifts such as tongues and prophecy are not for today. You can probably be IFB and listen to CCM but it is a very bad idea for many reasons. Same goes with those that use the newer translations such as the NIV, NASB and ESV that are based off the "Critical Text". Also an IFB isn't going to be a social drinker or smoker and watch Two and a Half Men.

• Members

First, we would have to define just what we think IFB is.

Independent is fairly self-explanatory.

Fundamentalist is more open. Are we only concerned with the five basic fundamentals of the faith or are there other areas, topics or issues we believe to be a fundamental, such as separation?

Baptist, is also fairly self-explanatory.

So, unless there are some needed discussions on the finer points of the I or B, it seems most of the potential for difference is within the F. What are our fundamentals? What fundamentals are fundamental, necessary to believe, hold to and practice? Are there specific things that must be avoided if one is to be a true fundamentalist?

• Members

I think that this board is IFB and therefore those who are not, should be limited. There is a board that i used to belong to that would allow non-baptists to join, but you could only post in a couple forums. I don't post there anymore as they have gone very liberal.

• Members

I think that this board is IFB and therefore those who are not, should be limited. There is a board that i used to belong to that would allow non-baptists to join, but you could only post in a couple forums. I don't post there anymore as they have gone very liberal.

Good points. There is the danger of some who are clearly of the more liberal sort wrongly influencing others and of giving the wrong impression to those who visit or lurk.

• Members

I think one aspect of being IFB that needs to be clear is whether or not the persons allow scripture to change their lives. I know that even amongst IFB there is disagreement on things like pants on women, some music styles, etc. That isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the tendency of some posters to post things that are phrased as a question or an honest search for truth, but then turn it to their actual intent: to push their wrong doctrine or to snipe and pick and sneer (however politely) at IFB for wanting to stand on truth. How that could translate is the problem, but I think Pastorj has the right idea.

Rather than limiting IFB forums to a certain section, why not limit non-IFB to certain sections and have the main parts of the forum for only IFB. Like the Lounge, as Pastorj suggested. Perhaps the Lounge and Current Events, since the two would likely cross at times.

I concur!

• Members

Jerry,

That is why we are discussing this. There are too many people pushing false teaching which is causing good people to either not join or go away.

There are many Biblical issues that good IFB people will disagree on that we don't need to fight with the liberal non-IFB people over false teachings.

• Members

Jerry,

That is why we are discussing this. There are too many people pushing false teaching which is causing good people to either not join or go away.

There are many Biblical issues that good IFB people will disagree on that we don't need to fight with the liberal non-IFB people over false teachings.

Yes, quite a bit of that.

And I feel that's right, that would be a turn off for many of our sisters & brothers.

• Members

I would like for this to be a civil discussion. If you are reading this, you claim to be an Independent, Fundamental Baptist. The problem is that an IFB can mean many sort of things. For example, this website is and mostly IFB, but some say we are too IFB while other state we are not IFB enough. Where in your mind should Online Baptist/We draw the line for IFB?

Maybe first off the line should be IFB...if they do not designate themselves to be IFB then the denial is at the very beginning...whether lounge or any other part of the site what is doctrinally believed come out in their writing...

It really depends on your purpose for this site...go back and look at your initial purpose for this site...have you moved from that purpose have you added or redefined your purpose?

I am not going to an IFB because there is not one where I live, but of the choices that is had the one I am a member is the closest Baptist church to it...

I will say though if your purpose is IFB church goers I would sacrifice the fellowship for the sake of your pupose because of and for the purity of truth to those young IFBer's whose beliefs are growing and need not be brought into cofusion what can be read by those whose beliefs are not fundamental...does that make sense?

My imput...
Deborah

• Members

Deb,

I won't speak for Bro. Matt, but I came here years ago for the fellowship and the opportunity to discuss scriptural issues. Iron sharpeneth iron. If I can't defend my position amongst fellow believers, then I am in trouble.

The issue has been that People who consider themselves "Non-IFB" have come on this board a number of times to discuss their false doctrines. Such as:
Ruckmanism
Calvinism
and every other ism that goes against Scripture.

It is not really a matter of whether or not they attend a IFB church, but that they consider themselves IFB. There are many places in the US where there is no good IFB church and one must attend something close. I went to a FBF church for 2 years because there was nothing else. Though I did not agree with some things, I never considered myself a non-IFB.

So the question is, what areas of this board should be limited to non-IFB people to make sure that those who come here stay.