• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do we "try the spirits"?

• Members

They tried to save you

but I would still like to hear what you have to say.

So what you going to do about it?

Who tried to save me? You have lost me. I am speaking of the value of the Word of God in that it provides us with everything we need.

Allow me to clearify something; I have been saved.

• Members

Who tried to save me? You have lost me. I am speaking of the value of the Word of God in that it provides us with everything we need.

Allow me to clearify something; I have been saved.

"Don't confuse me with the facts." If I want to be misled then it isn't that difficult for me to be so.

Are these your words?

• Moderators

"Don't confuse me with the facts." If I want to be misled then it isn't that difficult for me to be so.

Are these your words?

Actually, those are the words Dantheman was attributing to others that are misled. He wasn't claiming such thoughts for himself.

Your posts are rather confusing. Instead of insulting us, how about you explain what you are trying to say?

• Members

Actually, those are the words Dantheman was attributing to others that are misled. He wasn't claiming such thoughts for himself.

Your posts are rather confusing. Instead of insulting us, how about you explain what you are trying to say?

Yes I do forget where I am at from time to time.

How come you get deceived from time to time?

What is your excuse?

• Members

Well

is there any one of you that are never deceived?

If so please post up and tell us how you are never deceived.

Now if not 1 among you cannot be found that cannot be deceived by trying the spirits.

Then something is not right with your doctrine or belief.

Now if this insults or confuses you.

I really do not care.

Now if the Lord told me to care...then I would.

But he didn't so I don't.

I do not have to try his Spirit.

He is God.

• Members

Well

Now if not 1 among you cannot be found that cannot be deceived by trying the spirits.

That is akin to asking if someone is sinless. If we were entirely perfect, Holy and righteous like Christ then no, we could never be deceived, but since we are not, the possibility exists due to our own failings. That doesn't mean we have an excuse to throw up our hands as if there is nothing we can do about it though, no, the frequency and likelyhood of being spiritually deceived greatly decreases the better we know the scriptures and the more Christlike our lives are from day to day. Some people are spiritually deceived almost constantly and on major issues, others only rarely and not about major issues even then.

He is God.

That is not the question. The question is deciding if a particular "spirit", teaching, or doctrine is of God or not. We do this by "trying the spirits" which in large part means testing it with the light of scripture.

"1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

For a practical and common example lets take something like the modern day practice of speaking in "tongues". Now those who speak in "tongues" naturally claim it is a work of the Holy Spirit. However when what they do and claim is compared to scripture it is found wanting. They never speak in genuine languages that they themselves do not know as would be the scriptural pattern for speaking in tongues, rather they speak in a bunch of gibberish that is not a real language at all and serves no purpose. We also see that the rest of their "worship" services are generally built around getting people emotionally worked up and often totally out of control rather than on biblical truth. From things like this we can see that the spirit that they claim is from God is really not from God at all as he does not violate his word or his principles. God is not getting any glory out of some poor deceived man or woman rolling in the floor laughing like a madman or babbling gibberish in spite of what they claim. . Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

Are these your words?

Yes, I said that but not about myself. I was simply stating that if a person wishes to be misled then he or she can easily be misled. That of course would apply to me or to anyone else. But, if a person is honest and willing to study the word then he/she can know the truth (John 8:31-32).

Now, I do believe that there are those who sincerely believe the wrong thing but the truth is still there and if they are willing to spend time in the word of God, they can learn the truth. There are certain subjects I once was misled on, but when I began to study God's word and look at what was there then I learned the truth. Of coruse, I am still learning many things.

• Members

Well

Now if this insults or confuses you.

I really do not care.

Now if the Lord told me to care...then I would.

But he didn't so I don't.

He is God.

"spirits" in this context is not speaking of the Holy Spirit.

Our doctrine? Lest you have not noticed, not everyone on this site agrees on ever doctrine, so you should be more specific as to which doctrine you are speaking of. Perhaps you could give a bit more information on yourself so that we can understand what you believe.

• Members

That is akin to asking if someone is sinless. If we were entirely perfect, Holy and righteous like Christ then no, we could never be deceived, but since we are not, the possibility exists due to our own failings. That doesn't mean we have an excuse to throw up our hands as if there is nothing we can do about it though, no, the frequency and likelyhood of being spiritually deceived greatly decreases the better we know the scriptures and the more Christlike our lives are from day to day. Some people are spiritually deceived almost constantly and on major issues, others only rarely and not about major issues even then.

That is not the question. The question is deciding if a particular "spirit", teaching, or doctrine is of God or not. We do this by "trying the spirits" which in large part means testing it with the light of scripture.

"1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

For a practical and common example lets take something like the modern day practice of speaking in "tongues". Now those who speak in "tongues" naturally claim it is a work of the Holy Spirit. However when what they do and claim is compared to scripture it is found wanting. They never speak in genuine languages that they themselves do not know as would be the scriptural pattern for speaking in tongues, rather they speak in a bunch of gibberish that is not a real language at all and serves no purpose. We also see that the rest of their "worship" services are generally built around getting people emotionally worked up and often totally out of control rather than on biblical truth. From things like this we can see that the spirit that they claim is from God is really not from God at all as he does not violate his word or his principles. God is not getting any glory out of some poor deceived man or woman rolling in the floor laughing like a madman or babbling gibberish in spite of what they claim. .

Amen!

• Members

"spirits" in this context is not speaking of the Holy Spirit.

Our doctrine? Lest you have not noticed, not everyone on this site agrees on ever doctrine, so you should be more specific as to which doctrine you are speaking of. Perhaps you could give a bit more information on yourself so that we can understand what you believe.

Does anyone on this forum understand what SBilliter is saying? Nothing positive that I've seen.

• Members

Does anyone on this forum understand what SBilliter is saying? Nothing positive that I've seen.

Can you see this-------------------------> This is the day that my Lord hath made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

I have made this statement positively not true;

"Nothing positive that I've seen."

• Members

Can you see this-------------------------> This is the day that my Lord hath made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

I have made this statement positively not true;

"Nothing positive that I've seen."

It seems to me that you simply want to talk and be disagreeable.