• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do we "try the spirits"?

• Members

Trying the Spirits

“Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.” (1 John 4:1)

Love is the key to trying the spirits. In these last days it is imperative that we discern between the real and the false, that we separate the truth from the error. The Bible outlines the way to discern truth; there are many other verses, but to keep it simple, I have stayed in the Book of 1st John. Let’s begin with 1 John, 4:2:

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

The following verses go on to say that those who do not confess that Christ has come in the flesh, are not of God. (read v. 3)

“We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error“. (v. 6)

And that, my friends, is what we are after--discerning between the spirit of truth and the spirit of error. When we fellowship with others, or seek to teach others, we can tell by their reaction if they are truly born of God. If they hear us, they are born again; if they do not hear us, they know not God, neither have Him in them.
Many of us have sought out another “brother” for fellowship, only to meet with the cold shoulder and disinterest. It is disheartening, to see such a one as this; it leaves us befuddled as to what has happened to them, and what the grace of God means to them.

Another evidence of those that know God is v. 7:

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

Love for one another is strong evidence that God dwells in us. Verse eleven tells us that if God loved us, we ought also to love one another.
His Spirit is the spirit of love. If we have His Spirit in us, we ought to emulate Him by showing that spirit of love to our brethren. Consider:

“Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.” (v. 13)

Then the Lord connects His love with the indwelling of His Spirit:

“Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.” (v. 15)

In v. 16, we see, “And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.” You see, love is the evidence of the indwelling Spirit.

In chapter five, verse one, the Lord continues:
“Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.”

He keeps driving the point home. Do you think that it is important that we treat one another with love? If we love God, we love those that He loves!

Verse two gives us another verse to determine whether we love the Lord or not:
“By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.”

The way we love reveals the way we live! John 14:15 tells us that if we truly love the Lord, we will keep His commandments (not of constraint, but out of true affection for Him). He goes on to say, “For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.”, which brings us to the next verse, and the next evidence of true salvation. In verse 5, we read:

“Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?” (v. 5)

We come back now to the beginning of our faith, that we love the Lord. “He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.” (v. 10). We will have the witness in ourselves that we are the children of God.

Then, in verse 18, we have “We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.” Again, when we love the Lord, we will attempt to emulate Him. Holy living is a witness that we are “of God“, and He in us, and that we have the kind of love that he has for His children.

In the narrative, our Lord says that we have, as a result of all this, eternal life.

“And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.” (v. 20)

Our Lord says also that there is no greater love than that a man lay down his life for his brother. We do so, even while living! When we live for others, and dedicate our life to his welfare, and serve him, we are forsaking our life for him. We often claim that we would die for a brother, but if we do not live for him, we will not physically die for him either. Physical death is the ultimate, the finalization of giving our lives for another, but we will never see it happen if we have not began at the beginning (See 1 John 3:16). And,

He that walketh in the light loves his brother, and he that loves his brother will walk in the light. 1Jo 2:9
He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. 1Jo 2:10
He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. 1Jo 2:11

Illustrtion: A battery gives its life for another. In a flashlight, it dies to give its light. As it shines, it wanes away, giving its light for another; eventually, it is dead, but is was of use while it lived. It slowly dies to shine for others.

(From a previous post which I could not find.)<p class="ipsLikeBar right clearfix" id="rep_post_276887">
  • HappyChristian and Deb2live4Christ like this

For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: Job. 19:25

musings-rightymo.blogspot.com

"For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many." Jesus the Christ

• Members

Simple way to try the spirits is to study the Bible and compare what others are teaching to what the Bible is teaching. If they are the same, then great if not they are false and a Christian needs to avoid them.

Yes, that is Biblical

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. 19For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

Even though they have the "good words and fair speeches" which are part of their sheep costume, could those "divisions and offenses" "contrary to the doctrine..." be some of that "fruit" we can "know them by"?

• Members

Simple way to try the spirits is to study the Bible and compare what others are teaching to what the Bible is teaching. If they are the same, then great if not they are false and a Christian needs to avoid them.

About how many times have you been deceived by using this procedure?

More than you can remember? Edited by SBilliter

• Members

Yes, that is Biblical

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. 19For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

Even though they have the "good words and fair speeches" which are part of their sheep costume, could those "divisions and offenses" "contrary to the doctrine..." be some of that "fruit" we can "know them by"?

Didn't this man that you quoted often got into disputes and quarrels with even those who walked with Jesus when he was upon Earth?

• Members

So what you going to do about it?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems as though you are implying that the Bible is not enough in these matters and something more is needed.

Jesus in John 8:31-32 states that if we abide in his word then we shall know the truth and the truth will set us free. If I will study God's word with an open, honest heart then I can and will know the truth. Is it possible for me to read and take something out of context? Of course, I see many people who do just that. But most of the time that is because they are coming at it with blinders on. "Don't confuse me with the facts." If I want to be misled then it isn't that difficult for me to be so.

• Members

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems as though you are implying that the Bible is not enough in these matters and something more is needed.

Jesus in John 8:31-32 states that if we abide in his word then we shall know the truth and the truth will set us free. If I will study God's word with an open, honest heart then I can and will know the truth. Is it possible for me to read and take something out of context? Of course, I see many people who do just that. But most of the time that is because they are coming at it with blinders on. "Don't confuse me with the facts." If I want to be misled then it isn't that difficult for me to be so.

• Members

They tried to save you

but I would still like to hear what you have to say.