• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do we "try the spirits"?

• Members

The scripture itself tells us in 1 John how to "try the spirits", beginning in v. 1. It goes on to give certain things such as obedience to God's Word, "hereby"we know that we of God, and he is us, or something similar to that. The entire chapter, along with chapter 5 and a few other verses from the Book,of 1 John, we see that trying the spirits is much more than what has been mentioned already.

Let the scriptures speak...

• Members

That "plan of salvation" - salvation by saying a prayer has been discussed on this forum as

All RCs & many sects & heresies know that text & claim by that confession to be genuine. BUT is that simple confession proof that one is speaking by the Spirit of God? Denial is proof of antichrist, but is confession proof of the Spirit of Christ? Obviously not, so how do we affirm the inspiration of that text & add other Scriptures to it?

Maybe "plan of salvation' wasn't the best choice of wording it. But doesn't the man's webpage outlines the Gospel? Doesn't It show the sinfullness of man, the need for a Saviour and it outlines the death, burial, and ressurection of Jesus Christ. proclaiming Jesus as our only hope for salvation? It does that, does it not? He uses the King James Bible too. If it does that, then the man(in this case Benny Hinn) is "confessing that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh" is he not? In other words; he admitts, proclaims and publishes Jesus as the only way. So if something still doesn't seem quite right, what makes you uneasy about it? And how do you go about putting a finger on it?

• Members

The scripture itself tells us in 1 John how to "try the spirits", beginning in v. 1. It goes on to give certain things such as obedience to God's Word, "hereby"we know that we of God, and he is us, or something similar to that. The entire chapter, along with chapter 5 and a few other verses from the Book,of 1 John, we see that trying the spirits is much more than what has been mentioned already.

Let the scriptures speak...

Amen
And if we back up to the end of the previous chapter (3), it explains what to look for in a genuine Godly spirit.....

1 John 3:18My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
20For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
21Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
22And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

A person may say all the right things, even say that Jesus is Lord and Saviour, but if he never keeps the commandment of loving God and his brother as himself, he doesn't have the Spirit of God. If does things like bearing false witness on or lying to his brother, , the Bible says, he actually hates his brother, This spirit denies God, who is love It is the spirit of antichrist, (1 John 4)

• Members

And another way to look at that.....
Any person, layman, 'preacher' or teacher who knowingly teaches false doctrine to people, is lying to them. They may act sweet and sugary and say nice things and smile and flatter people. But they actually have the spirit of antichrist because they knowingly lie to the 'dumb sheep' and the Bilbe says that is actually hate.

Proverbs 26:28 A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin.

• Members

Any person, layman, 'preacher' or teacher who knowingly teaches false doctrine to people, is lying to them. They may act sweet and sugary and say nice things and smile and flatter people. But they actually have the spirit of antichrist because they knowingly lie to the 'dumb sheep' and the Bilbe says that is actually hate.

Proverbs 26:28 A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin.

But what of the false teacher who is so doing in ignorance rather desiring to do so? Even on this site, I have seen people who are teaching opposite one from another but I do not doubt that in most cases at least, they are sincere in their beliefs.

• Members

• Members

One thing I have wonderded over the years is just how many false preachers/teachers think they are sincere and how many know they are playing a game. Surely some of these think they are true and will be among those telling Jesus all they did for Him before He tells them He never knew them and casts them away.

• Members

One thing I have wonderded over the years is just how many false preachers/teachers think they are sincere and how many know they are playing a game. Surely some of these think they are true and will be among those telling Jesus all they did for Him before He tells them He never knew them and casts them away.

I believe the ones who seduce and deceive.
2 Timothy 2:13But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

• Members

Mark 9:38-40 "And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part. "

I always found this to be an interesting portion of scripture...any comments?

What this basically implies

is that God works in mysterious ways.

And unless you are aware of His ways.

You will be saying something of this nature to yourself or others.

"we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us."

• Members

One thing I have wonderded over the years is just how many preachers/teachers think they are of the Truth and how many that do not know that they do not know that they are not of the Truth. Surely some of these think they are true and will be among those telling Jesus all they did for Him before He tells them He never knew them and casts them away.

• Members

:ot: opps...Romans 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

This is another verse that intrigues me...any comments

I also find it interesting that Paul went over his credentials so to speak in one portion of Scripture..1 Corinthians 9:1-9 Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord? If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord. Mine answer to them that do examine me is this, Have we not power to eat and to drink? Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas? Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working? Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?

:11backtotopic: This truly is an interesting question...how does one try the spirits...I believe you line them up with the Word of God and ask God for discernment because even our foe can make himself as an angel of light 2 Corinthians 11:14-15And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works... and the Word also says something Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. This may be after the rapture I am not sure but my point remains that "in so much, if it were possible..."

The answer to this question should be taken seriously enough to have believers of age in the Word to jump on it for the insight of those who are young in the Word...

Tell me how often this works for you

1. 100% of the time.

2. 75% of the time.

3. 50% of the time.

4. 25% of the time.

5. I do not know.

• Members

Comparing Scripture with Scripture is always a good way to try the spirits.

Re. Mark 9.38-40, part of the issue seems to be, Just because someone isn't involved with me or with us, he or she shouldn't be condemned out of hand, since they may be serving the Lord faithfully, unconnected with us.

Comparing scripture to scripture is a good way to try

scripture.

• Members

I have heard, by word of mouth so take it for what that is worth, that some very big name "preachers" knowingly preach things which are not true because they know that many of the people they are preaching to do not wish to hear it. You might be surprised at who some of them are.

• Members

I have heard, by word of mouth so take it for what that is worth, that some very big name "preachers" knowingly preach things which are not true because they know that many of the people they are preaching to do not wish to hear it. You might be surprised at who some of them are.

I don't doubt that at all. For some it's obvious there are certain topics or subjects some pastors make it a point not to address.

Several years ago in a supposedly conservative Southern Baptist church the pastor suddenly stopped preaching against adultery when it became widely known that the man who gave the largest donations to the church had an affair, divorced his wife and shacked up with his "girlfriend". It seems the big checks coming into the church were more important than preaching the Word and seeking to restore a church member in open sin.

• Members

Trying the Spirits

“Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.” (1 John 4:1)

Love is the key to trying the spirits. In these last days it is imperative that we discern between the real and the false, that we separate the truth from the error. The Bible outlines the way to discern truth; there are many other verses, but to keep it simple, I have stayed in the Book of 1st John. Let’s begin with 1 John, 4:2:

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

The following verses go on to say that those who do not confess that Christ has come in the flesh, are not of God. (read v. 3)

“We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error“. (v. 6)

And that, my friends, is what we are after--discerning between the spirit of truth and the spirit of error. When we fellowship with others, or seek to teach others, we can tell by their reaction if they are truly born of God. If they hear us, they are born again; if they do not hear us, they know not God, neither have Him in them.
Many of us have sought out another “brother” for fellowship, only to meet with the cold shoulder and disinterest. It is disheartening, to see such a one as this; it leaves us befuddled as to what has happened to them, and what the grace of God means to them.

Another evidence of those that know God is v. 7:

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

Love for one another is strong evidence that God dwells in us. Verse eleven tells us that if God loved us, we ought also to love one another.
His Spirit is the spirit of love. If we have His Spirit in us, we ought to emulate Him by showing that spirit of love to our brethren. Consider:

“Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.” (v. 13)

Then the Lord connects His love with the indwelling of His Spirit:

“Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.” (v. 15)

In v. 16, we see, “And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.” You see, love is the evidence of the indwelling Spirit.

In chapter five, verse one, the Lord continues:
“Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.”

He keeps driving the point home. Do you think that it is important that we treat one another with love? If we love God, we love those that He loves!

Verse two gives us another verse to determine whether we love the Lord or not:
“By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.”

The way we love reveals the way we live! John 14:15 tells us that if we truly love the Lord, we will keep His commandments (not of constraint, but out of true affection for Him). He goes on to say, “For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.”, which brings us to the next verse, and the next evidence of true salvation. In verse 5, we read:

“Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?” (v. 5)

We come back now to the beginning of our faith, that we love the Lord. “He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.” (v. 10). We will have the witness in ourselves that we are the children of God.

Then, in verse 18, we have “We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.” Again, when we love the Lord, we will attempt to emulate Him. Holy living is a witness that we are “of God“, and He in us, and that we have the kind of love that he has for His children.

In the narrative, our Lord says that we have, as a result of all this, eternal life.

“And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.” (v. 20)

Our Lord says also that there is no greater love than that a man lay down his life for his brother. We do so, even while living! When we live for others, and dedicate our life to his welfare, and serve him, we are forsaking our life for him. We often claim that we would die for a brother, but if we do not live for him, we will not physically die for him either. Physical death is the ultimate, the finalization of giving our lives for another, but we will never see it happen if we have not began at the beginning (See 1 John 3:16). And,

He that walketh in the light loves his brother, and he that loves his brother will walk in the light. 1Jo 2:9
He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. 1Jo 2:10
He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. 1Jo 2:11

Illustrtion: A battery gives its life for another. In a flashlight, it dies to give its light. As it shines, it wanes away, giving its light for another; eventually, it is dead, but is was of use while it lived. It slowly dies to shine for others.

(From a previous post which I could not find.)<p class="ipsLikeBar right clearfix" id="rep_post_276887">

For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: Job. 19:25

musings-rightymo.blogspot.com