• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jack Hyles

dantheman2

• Members

I beg your pardon, none of us really know for sure who is saved, and who is not. The Lord will sort them out some day, our job is to promote the Gospel, not to discern whether they are "Really" saved or not. If we spend as much time witnessing as wed o critiquing others, we would do well, and may hear those words, "Well done thou good and faithful servant".

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Easy Believism is a heretical teaching that is pushed by a few National Preachers. Hyles was one of them. His followers believe it is more important to get someone to pray than to actually see them converted. If you read the Gospels, Jesus didn't have anyone "pray" to get saved. People didn't pray and go back in their homes. Jesus looked for converts who would follow him. People who pray a "1-2-3 prayer" are not saved as the prayer does not save anyone. Salvation is repentance (confession of sin), a turning away from trusting yourself to trusting in Jesus Christ as your Savior. (Rom. 10:9-10,13).

As previously stated, I have first hand experience soul-winning with these people and unfortunately there have only been a couple Hyles grads that I would go with again. One of them is on this board and is a personal friend. The other is a retired pastor friend. Both went to Hyles in the 70's. Both are solid in their soul-winning. I am sure there are a few others, but the vast majority push the pray this prayer and you will be saved.

• Members

"Easy believism" is a term that has been coined by the attackers of soul winning in general. It is because of Dr. Hyles that many are made aware of personal soul winning and how easy it is. Neither you, nor I can look on the heart of a man and determine whether his salvation is real or not. I prefer to believe in the prayer of faith for salvation. if someone makes a contest out of it, and vies for more souls than another, that is no reflection on Dr. Hyles himself. I too am familiar with many devious tactics, as any ministry of comparable size might have; all three of my children graduated from HAC. Yes, there are some, perhaps many, that will abuse even soul winning, and not to the glory of God, but to imply that it is taught that way (though it is by some, unknowingly) is to desecrate the ministry that (I believe) God has used in a miraculous and wonderful way in the past. Only the Lord knows how much of an impact men like Dr. Hyles has made on this old earth today, and not without criticism, as great man in the past have also faced.

• Moderators

'Easy believism' is the wrong term to use, since salvation is indeed the result of believing - and it is not a difficult thing! I've heard the practice under question referred to as 'Quick Prayerism.' I think this is what the others are objecting to - the idea of leading someone in a sinner's prayer that does not actually understand what they are doing. Such would not be a prayer of faith.

• Members

'Easy believism' is the wrong term to use, since salvation is indeed the result of believing - and it is not a difficult thing! I've heard the practice under question referred to as 'Quick Prayerism.' I think this is what the others are objecting to - the idea of leading someone in a sinner's prayer that does not actually understand what they are doing. Such would not be a prayer of faith.

Good points. Sometimes we can get confused just by the various terms, though most here probably know what is acutally meant.

Indeed the problem is with skipping the important aspects of making sure a person knows they need to be saved and what it means to be saved. The idea that one can ask someone if they want to go to heaven and then get them to say a prayer so they can "be assured of heaven", and then after they pray telling them they are assured of heaven and leaving them for the next target is totally unbiblical, yet basically what so many do.

• Administrators

Easy believism or quick prayerism is lacking deeply in repentance. When a person thinks they can go to a kid's baseball game and, during the switching of teams "lead" an entire team to the Lord - that isn't salvation. I'm afraid that is a result of the type of teaching that goes on...

• Members
Can anyone tell me anything about Dr Jack Hyles? Seems as though I have read something about him on here. I found a little booklet by him and just curious about where he stands.

So Im the new guy here, and getting back to the OP, It looks like we went from Jack Hyles to soulwinning/easy beliveism, wich is something that can be laid at Hyles's feet.

What I think the OP was referting to, was what kinda person Hyles was. The poster, Dantheman2 was looking to understand Hyles better, if I understood this right.

I agree with what others have been saying, he started out good, got lost in is own image, been accused of infadelity, his son David also being accuesed of infadelity, and it looks as if he was the object of hero worship from his students.

Does anyone remember being asked if you were 100% Hyles? I do, and at the time, I had no idea what they were talking about. When I couldnt give them the answer they wanted, they got upset with me and wanted nothing more from me if I was not living my life to be like the man of God. Interesting, they want to be like the man of God, but not like the Son of God.

Given my choice, I'll be like the Son of God, and strive to be a man for God.

Dr. Hyles started out as a good man, but like all of us, he had his warts. When he took his eyes off Christ and on his kingdom is when things went wrong.

So, Dantheman2, what book do you have that was written by Hyles? After viewing all thats been said, where do you stand? Have anymore questions?

Dr. Roberson

• Members

A good friend of mine, who is a pastor, graduated from HAC. He was a bus captain. At one bus meeting, the group was told by Hyles himself that the only thing they need to do was get people to pray and then let God deal with it. Since all you need is the faith of a little child, then just ask God to save you and he will. My friend asked Hyles about repentance and Hyles responded that repentance was not necessary for salvation. He pushed numbers, even if it meant the same kid getting saved every week.

His books are full of heretical teaching also. I would never recommend any of his books to anyone. I have thrown every one of his books in the garbage where it belongs.

His son-in-law is no better with his teaching on salvation and likening it to have intercourse with God.

I would not classify Hyles as a good man as he led many astray and many are in Hell tonight because of his false teaching on salvation.

• Moderators

A good friend of mine, who is a pastor, graduated from HAC. He was a bus captain. At one bus meeting, the group was told by Hyles himself that the only thing they need to do was get people to pray and then let God deal with it. Since all you need is the faith of a little child, then just ask God to save you and he will. My friend asked Hyles about repentance and Hyles responded that repentance was not necessary for salvation. He pushed numbers, even if it meant the same kid getting saved every week.

His books are full of heretical teaching also. I would never recommend any of his books to anyone. I have thrown every one of his books in the garbage where it belongs.

His son-in-law is no better with his teaching on salvation and likening it to have intercourse with God.

I would not classify Hyles as a good man as he led many astray and many are in Hell tonight because of his false teaching on salvation.

For the sake of accuracy, it is communion that he likens to marital congress.

• Members

So Im the new guy here, and getting back to the OP, It looks like we went from Jack Hyles to soulwinning/easy beliveism, wich is something that can be laid at Hyles's feet.

What I think the OP was referting to, was what kinda person Hyles was. The poster, Dantheman2 was looking to understand Hyles better, if I understood this right.

I agree with what others have been saying, he started out good, got lost in is own image, been accused of infadelity, his son David also being accuesed of infadelity, and it looks as if he was the object of hero worship from his students.

Does anyone remember being asked if you were 100% Hyles? I do, and at the time, I had no idea what they were talking about. When I couldnt give them the answer they wanted, they got upset with me and wanted nothing more from me if I was not living my life to be like the man of God. Interesting, they want to be like the man of God, but not like the Son of God.

Given my choice, I'll be like the Son of God, and strive to be a man for God.

Dr. Hyles started out as a good man, but like all of us, he had his warts. When he took his eyes off Christ and on his kingdom is when things went wrong.

So, Dantheman2, what book do you have that was written by Hyles? After viewing all thats been said, where do you stand? Have anymore questions?

Dr. Roberson

Let's go Soul Winning Step by Step Lessons in How to Lead a Soul to Christ By Dr. Jack Hyles.

I was just wanting to know where he stands on various issues. I was trying to gauge the views of others on here as to whether he was sound or not. Somehow I don't think that I would be "in line" with him.

• Members

dantheman2

It would be wise of you to read more of Dr. Hyles, and see for yourself. Others are always biased one way or another.

Since his methods of soul winning have been in question, have you read anything in that book that smacks of heresy? I have read it also, and I thought it was good. Just another method for reaching others with the Gospel.

• Members

dantheman2

It would be wise of you to read more of Dr. Hyles, and see for yourself. Others are always biased one way or another.

Since his methods of soul winning have been in question, have you read anything in that book that smacks of heresy? I have read it also, and I thought it was good. Just another method for reaching others with the Gospel.

Glanced at the book which I mentioned; read a bit of it. Read enough to know I don't agree with what he said and practiced.

• Members

Glanced at the book which I mentioned; read a bit of it. Read enough to know I don't agree with what he said and practiced.

Why start the thread then? I believe you already had your mind made up when you started it.

Anyway, Dr. Hyles ought to have a fair shake.

Archived